Zinnia

originally posted by Trys

I planted zinnias in a container on my deck this year. If you like to see them… https://paravia.com/JeffWatson

Awesome!

originally posted by Dorothy

They are so pretty Trys! I think I will try them on our patio next year instead of petunias.

originally posted by Clansman

Very nice, Trys. I'll try zinnias myself next year.

We could grow anything in Ontario this year, except any desert succulents, which would only rot. We appear to have turned into a temperate rain forest climate, as we have rain every. single. day. The temperature has not been above the low 80sF (28C) all summer, but also not below the high 70sF. No heat, lots of humidity. No cold weather either. Saves on the air conditioning, but it is getting ridiculous. Apparently the problem is that the Bermuda High is missing from the Atlantic, so the jet stream is not pushing north as it should do.

On the plus side, I had to plant a large new chunk of lawn, and it is growing like crazy without me having to water it.

Still, a real bit of summer weather would be nice. Without some heat, we won't even get local corn on the cob or tomatoes until the end of August.

Thanks for the nice complements.

Dorothy,

I have more plants in the container than is recommended but I think they are doing nicely all the same. :smiley:

Clansman,

I've been hearing that the upper midwest (Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin) is very cool this winter. NYC had not, as of a few days ago, not reached 85F degrees. Here in SW Pennsylvania, we had a very wet June, a very dry July until last Friday when we got 0.75" of rain in 15 minutes, 1.08" in that same hour, and 1.4" for the entire day. Since then we've had some rain everyday totaling nearly 3" for the month. So I can empathize with your 'wet season'… I just don't like nearly 3 week long dry periods.

There are many varieties of zinnias. They are supposed to be drought resistant. One thing they are not resistant to are June bugs. They are nasty little beggers who keep chewing on the leaves. The odd thing is that given the number of chewed leaves you would think I have an infestation but I only ever find 3 or 4 in the bunch of plants. Oh well, they are doing nicely for all that. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by Artemis

Clansman,

Re: Rain, RAIN, rain and er… RAIN.
Yes, every. single. day. In England we are a little bit used to getting wet, but this is abusing the privilege. All my poor flowers which looked so pretty last month (lobelia, surfinia, cape daisies, and some stuff that I can't remember the names of but are really nice) are looking decidedly weather beaten. Remember the great storm of 09?(last Monday) well that was surpassed by the great storm of this morning (Thursday).
I fear tis our fault for replacing the garage roof in May. Sorry.

Artie

Canada right now is a mixed bag. The East (Southern Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI), which is normally hot and humid this time of year (moderated the further east you go, due to the Atlantic), has been very moderate with a lot of precipitation. The Yukon Territory (yes, of snow & ice & Jack London stories fame) is in the midst of a heat wave, with temperatures over 30 C (this is north of the Arctic Circle, people). British Columbia is desperately hot, with record breaking temperatures in the high 30's, even into the 40's, and forest fires are a major problem. Parts of Kelowna were recently evacuated.

I would gladly give some of our rain to BC and the Yukon, and would be happy to siphon off a little of their heat.

Something is seriously wrong when you have 30+C in the Yukon. Seriously wrong. Lane flux is all fubar'd. We need Arithon to sing a mighty song and put us back in proper harmonic resonance.

Abandoning fossil fuels wouldn't hurt either.

With regard to my message posted last Thursday, it's been dry and/or sunnny since. How 'bout that? Anyway, am feeling rather giddy today because we go on holiday on Saturday (little place called Dinas Dinlle near Caernarfon, North Wales) and of course this means ice-cream and cake and sandcastles etc. Please excuse my excitement. but I don't get out much.

Artie

originally posted by HJ

Yay, Artemis, know that part of the world well. We've stayed on the sublime Cilan headland south of Abersoch the past few years and we love Anglesey and Snowdonia. Taking a break to go to Cornwall this year. I'm more and more convinced I was a Celt Priestess in a previous life!

Just noticed you will have left by now, hope you're having a lovely time. x

Cornwall?
Wales???

Would I fit in your suitcases???

Including Laptop (bribe: you get to read The Veiled Bits of the New WoLaS Book???)

(Gosh, could be ONTO something here…grin…wonder how far said bribe currency could be made to TRAVEL?)

Back ON TOPIC -

Gryphon - how are the Zinnias growing?

They are going gangbusters. I need to get some new pictures taken/processed. Hopefully this weekend.

There are new images on the site. When the page first loads the images displayed are the old ones. Click on the August 18, 2009 link at the top to switch to the new images.

The link is https://paravia.com/JeffWatson

(Message edited by admin on August 19, 2009)

WOW!!!

They are spectacular!

originally posted by Dorothy

what a wonderful display,Trys. There are so many colours! I am definitely growing zinnias next year.

Just been looking at your zinnias (ooh matron!) ahem, sorry. They are great. Do you deadhead them to encourage growth or do they drop off by themselves?

I grew something quite colourful but taller than expected (no idea of the name). They just went floppy so I had to stake them. Zinnias next year I think.

Artie

Artemis, were they Dahlias? Those can be eye-poppingly colourful, but the darn things fall all over the place.

Artie,

I have deadheaded a few but for the most part the plethora of blooms is occurring naturally. I will say that I probably have more plants in the container that I should. Also I should have filled the container with more soil (it's about 2 inches or so below the top) as when a good wind blows the lean with the wind. I've had to prop the plants up using plastic trellises. I'll know better next year.

The varieties I planted are Zinnia Elegins: Peppermint Sticks (the red/white and red/yellow ones) and Giant Cactus Double Mix.

Trys

Clansman!

Eureka! Tall floppy flowers are revealed as Godetia! I found the list I made when I bought them, in case I forgot the names. (yes, I'm a listmaker. I can't help it. I can stop whenever I want).

I really should get out more.

Artie.

V. v. excited.

Going to a wedding tomorrow (no zinnias, but plenty of other stuff). Our daughter, Anne, is Chief Bridesmaid to her best mate, Tracy. We get to dress up, smile for photos and eat without having to cook it or wash up.
Oh, and later on I shall be dancing like no-one's watching! Rob says he's not dancing so I'll have to dance for two.

Artie.