Update

originally posted by KimberlyIsrael

I placed an order at my local Borders early this week. Usually I'm more likely to buy books online, but I really want TK as soon as possible, so I was hoping to buy it off the shelf. No luck there, but I'm still thinking I'll get it faster through Borders than through Amazon - last I checked Amazon still isn't clear on the book actually being released, nor is Books-a-Million. Soon, though!

As far as the hallway-library question, it didn't quite work for me because I'd glanced up at people's responses before finding the question in the archives. The closest thing I can say with other books I've read, though, is that I don't visualize exactly. I certainly respond to the way the story is presented and I follow what's going on, but I don't really "see" it in my head. Sometimes I'll even be moved by a beautiful written description, but I won't give me a clear picture of the scene or object being described - instead I'll have an emotional reaction associated with the object that might be very similar to my emotional reaction to something I see that's very beautiful - but I can't give any details of a mental picture. Anyone else like this?

originally posted by Lyssabits

You're not alone, KimberlyIsrael. :wink: I hardly ever have a clear picture in my mind of what's being described. I find rapid action sequences difficult to follow for the same reason, I'm not always sure what's happening at each step, because I can't picture the sequence of events. But that doesn't stop me from experiencing a lot of tension, literally clutching the book in my hands and turning the pages so forcefully that I sometimes wrinkle the edges, I'm that anxious about how it is going to end up. Sometimes descriptions will cause my stomach to knot up, or send a shiver down my spine, I respond emotionally and viscerally to writing, but rarely can I picture it. That's one reason, actually, why I like Janny's writing so much. I think her descriptions appeal equally to people who can imagine the scene she is describing, because they're detailed, but also to those of us who can't really picture it, because they're so emotionally charged. Also because the phrasing and words are so beautiful, it doesn't matter if you can picture the scene or not, sometimes just the sound of the words in your head is a sensual enough experience. :wink:

That sounds a little naughty, but I meant it in the most innocent of ways. Well, except some of the love scenes, but that's a different kettle of fish entirely. *grins*

Borders didn't work out after all - I got a card in the mail this afternoon saying the book is unavailable and my order has been cancelled. I looked around some online and finally ordered directly from Meisha Merlin - surely the publisher will have it as fast as anyone else…won't they?

On another mostly random note, I'm running a game of D&D by email with some friends, and one them has decided to name his character Athera. (character is female - just letting you know for if you think Athera is an odd name for a male). I don't know if he was thinking specifically about the books or not, although he has read Curse of the Mistwraith, so I doubt the name was an accident. For those of you familiar with D&D, the character is a psion who also uses shapechanging abilities a lot - I'm not seeing any direct connection with the continent here…

A few years back, my husband (fiance then) also played a Davien…who was a cleric/paladin and about has far from what we knew of Davien at that time that you could get. But it's just such a beautiful name. Unfortunately, that character wound up having his life force completely drained away by wraiths (through a mistake in my running the game, even more unfortunately). Since it was my mistake, I offered to "rewind time" and have his character not die, but we were actually both enough into the story that we decided for the sake of realism and continuity to keep the character dead, bringing in Diana the elemental-bane archer to take his place (same player, new character). (For those who play, I did give them lots of extra experience for the wraiths being so much harder - I forgot to allow a saving throw for the constitution drain.)

originally posted by Konran

On another message board my screenname is Khetienn. (I didn't think Janny would mind terribly… ^^;; plus it gives me a chance to find other fans…) and one time in a Champions of Norrath game I named the barbarian I was using all the cheat codes on Tienelle.

originally posted by Calais Nox

I did the visualization without skipping to read everyone elses replies. The desk was just to the right side of a doorway. It was a mahogony roll top and had a few small books stacked on top of it. It was fastidiously neat. The room was medium-sized with hardwood floors and no rugs. It had a small cot/bed in the far corner behind him. It had a huge diamond plate window in the wall behind him. No other furnishings. He was writing about, vaguely, magick. He got up and went out. The hallway had a long passage straight ahead, a short passage to the left and an opening on the right to the rest of his house. The floors were also wood and rug-less. The long passage had some art on the walls; landscapes. He lives by the sea in a harbour town. He went straight ahead and entered the only door, right at the end of the passageway, neither right nor left. There's more but I don't want to ramble on forever.

Details, details.

When I read, I am flooded with details and imagery almost faster than I can process it. I do a lot of meditation and astral projection so my visualization in mundane things is enhanced. I have to read Janny's books slowly because of the amount of detail. I love it that way though.

originally posted by Trys

Kimberly,

It would be helpful if you would recontact that Borders and set them straight based on the information you have from this board. I'm not saying you have to buy it from them, just tell them there computer information is wrong, wrong, wrong. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by Thom

Hey all,

I received my copy of traitors knot today. They shipped it on the first and i received it this morning. Off to read.

originally posted by Kris

Lucky, lucky…

I have an author's copy - just back from Book Expo in NY and the book, handed to me by Stephe.

Fact: Meisha's advance orders ALL went out by Friday afternoon - and they forgot to send the signed book plates - they rushed so fast to satisfy the orders. Never Fear! The signed matching book plates will be sent to you next week in carefully packaged form, to prevent damage!

I expect the new orders will have the plates enclosed.

Stephe is still at Book Expo, so all the orders were processed That Fast by Lynn…and here's to Kevin's design work, the booth at BEA in NY looked FANTASTIC! I may have pictures for the site, here.

Also at BEA were Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (of the famed Liadon (trademark) stories - if you haven't read these, I love them, and the authors are neat people.

(now to get a relaxed chance to look at MY copy of TK)

originally posted by StarGazer72

Haha, that's funny Calais, I had hardwood floors also, but with a rug - white with a design and blue trim, in the middle of the floor (weird the way the mind works, eh?). Flat oak desk covered in papers, facing the door, also in front of a big window, with a wall of books to the left - made it odd that he had to get up to go to the library, but it was left out the door, then the third door on the left.
With details, sometimes I'm flooded with the tiniest little things, like a white rug with blue trim, but others I get more of the impression. I've found that I don't look at people's faces - either in my writing or in my dreams - unless I consciously make myself, so I have a harder time trying to see what the details of faces are when I am reading. Like the little man writing the paper, yes, he was skinny and shortish, and I think he may have had a beard in my head, but that's about all I saw.

Can't wait til I actually have time to buy and settle down with TK - just one more week! I graduate on Saturday and then have the whole rest of the summer and next year to find a job and read and apply to grad schools and read and oh, read some more :smiley: Yay!
SG

originally posted by Kitsune

Re: the "Visualization" thread.

My thoughts and visualizations? (Written before reading all the previous replies.)

The wizard seated at the desk is young: you can tell since only the barest few lines of worry cross his handsome face. He has just begun to grow his first beard, and the blond strands look scraggly in the dying light of the setting sun, glimpsed through the glass window which provides light for him as he scribes. He writes feverishly, dipping his pen into the pot of ink frequently (and vigorously enough to spatter the immediate area, including himself, with ink!!) before transferring his thoughts to the parchment.

He sits at a desk covered in papers, parchment and books. The desk is so cluttered that you can barely make out the contours of the desk, though it appears to be made of some sort of petrified wood. Likewise, the chair he also sits in petrified wood, and apparetnly not very comfortable: there are no cushions evident, and our magus fidgest uncomfortably as he writes.

The room itself is strewn with objects both mundane and mystical: dead animals, stuffed and posed, adorn the walls, along with several paintings of varying quality. Suits of armour stand vacant, investing the room with a somber air. The floor is covered with rugs of different colours and patterns, ranging from elegant and understated to garish and eye-catching.

As the last of the light fades, the wizard pushes back his chair and stands with a groan. Looking around, he nods in satisfaction, and exits the room through the open door, heading down a corridor, taking first one left and then another, before continuining his trip up a flight of stairs.

originally posted by AnimePhoenix

anyone have an idea as to when it is actually going to be physically present in bookstores

When it arrives at that bookstore (no one can predict shipping times) and the bookstore actually unpacks the books and shelves them (no one can predict this either).

And if said unpacking employee wasn't a fan, and didn't snag the copy or so for himself and a friend…this happens a LOT…safest if you have a preorder logged in at your local vendor.

originally posted by Kimberly Israel

Hopefully this unpacking employee would at least pay for the books?

Ah, well, they'd get the employee's discount on the title… Only result: the book would never reach the shelf for you to know it WAS there, or available.

Got snarfed in the back room happens quite a lot at the chains, so I understand.

originally posted by jpltzld

IT CAME! IT CAME!
I just received my copy of Traitor's Knot in the mail today. (I pre-ordered in February.) *jumps up and down*

jpltzld,

Yay!! Mine came too, we can do the happy dance together. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by Mike Williams

I'm just outside of Chicago and received my pre-order today via Fed-Ex as well.

So the books are definitely starting to pop up!

:smiley: