Homosexuality in WoLaS - a new poster's perspective

originally posted by Clansman

In Canada, there is pretty much a mix. Distance, except among some Luddites, is always kilometres, temperature is Celsius (again, except for some Luddites), but when purchasing anything in the store, the price is referred to in pounds. People refer to their weight in pounds, height in feet/inches, and when building, an imperial tape measure is used.

The biggest reason for this is our proximity to the USA, with whom our economy is inexorably tied. Also, there was a case that went to our Supreme Court that said it was an unreasonable restriction on free speech to force retailers to list only kilograms or grams. Now, kilograms and grams only appear on things that are pre-packaged, but if you pick up roast beef, the kilograms is in 4 pt font, and pounds is in 15 pt.

So much for a uniform system of weights and measures!

If the USA finally went metric, then the last vestiges of imperial would disappear in Canada.

I do agree that the imperial names just sound better than metric. Something like calling a flower by its common name as opposed to its scientific name. I would not use the word "human" (and definitely not "humane":smiley:) but rather "lyrical".

I too, drink pints. Ale, bitter, porter or stout. Pilsner (or Mexican) in the summer.

Incidentally, what has this got to do with the title of this thread?

originally posted by Stephen Kenneally

Like I said above, nothing will get this one back on track, I suspect!!

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. :stuck_out_tongue:

originally posted by Derek Coventry

My youngest sister drinks pints, smokes cigars and prefers her own sex, but I'm not sure if she reads WoLaS.

originally posted by Neil

Trys

I'm in the UK.

Short distances for me are in metres (e.g. a room size); Longer distances in miles…

Height: mine in feet and inches; Mountains in feet.

I weigh in kilos…

I buy water and diesel in litres; beer in pints.

I did go to a pub in Birmingham once that swtiched to litre glasses for fun(?): About 2 pints.

Funny now I look at it…

originally posted by max

Sorry to change this back to the thread…but here goes. My observation is that the Greeks thought women were for breeding with and only men were worthy of loving each other. [methinks the greek men had a serious problem with narcissism] not only Achilles and Patrocles, but Alexander and his first lover was Petreus?? I think that was his name and then he also had a lover, a persian dancer, don't know his name at all. Love between men was believed the only true love worthy of a male. [the women were probably lucky to survive childbirth] But one goddess, Diana, represented both sexes. Today in neo-paganism she represents the best of both worlds male and female. I find it interesting that when Ursula LeGuin wrote the 'Left Hand of Darkness', she began by imagining a world where there had
never been a war. She states in the book that 'they killed each other in ones and twos, and occasionally twenties' but that they had never had what was termed a war. Was this a statment of their dual sexuality? Jane Fancher series 'Dance of the Ringspinners' has one of her main characters fall in love with a hermaphrodite and so also has dual sexuality. She stated that she wondered what did this person think of themselves, male or female? I guess humans are so repressive of any or most sexuality, [too close to the animals] and just now in the last 30 years or so has it been brought out and turned over and examined. By the way, Mercedes Lackey's 'The Last Herald-Mage series, is the trilogy whose main character is gay, Vanyel Ashkevron. Smiling at ya… [I don't know if I see any of Janny's characters as gay, does anyone know for sure??]

The only peron who could know "for sure" is Janny, and she's very wisely allowing people to make their own interpretations. Make some! Go out on a limb! Be the only person other than myself and hosanna with a bold opinion! :smiley:

"The Last Herald-Mage" was actually my first introduction to Mercedes Lackey. It was beautiful, and got me into reading everything else she wrote.

"My observation is that the Greeks thought women were for breeding with and only men were worthy of loving each other."

From what I've read, that's a pretty good summary, yes.

originally posted by Matthew

After the big reveal about Dumbledore it's not surprising people are reconsidering how sexuality impacts their view of characters … i'm thinking Ashandir and Sethvir might be 'closer friends' then first was thought… =D

That said I think it's a little sad though that people can't envisage close loving relationships nowadays without believing it leads to a sexual one.

Is homosexuality defined by the act of having sex with someone of the same gender (the biological urge to 'get your rocks off')? or by caring deeply about someone of the same sex?

And i know i mispelt Asandir >_< dunno where the h came from.

"Is homosexuality defined by the act of having sex with someone of the same gender (the biological urge to 'get your rocks off')? or by caring deeply about someone of the same sex?"

Assuming that question isn't rhetorical, neither.

As I've acknowledged, you can care deeply for someone of the same gender without it being in any way a sexual relationship. (Also, Sethvir and Asandir? Not a chance!)

Being gay is, primarily, a self-identification. It's a combination of both of the things you mentioned - both a sexual desire AND a wish to love someone of the same gender, in a way that goes beyond, or at least in a different direciton from, the love of a friend.

originally posted by BILLEEBEE

I feel the F7 are asexual.

originally posted by Meredith Lee Gray

I could almost agree with BILLEEBEE, and what I think others have said earlier in this thread.

I think the F7 are pretty much beyond 'common lust'. I could believe that they've 'evolved' or grown beyond that urge.

So perhaps whatever sexuality they claimed is irrelevant now.

It's difficult to say though, because what other human being would be a match (intellectually) to stimulate that desire. And I think if they did want to bed someone, that the stimulation would be mental first, not just random urge to rut. They have each other, but no one else on Athera really in their league. Maybe Arithon. But no women to test the theory. (LOL, MORRIEL!) And without the stimulation of having a match or mate to get the blood pumping, I don't think they would have the need to go find a random pretty woman to sleep with.

But, it's difficult to tell. If my memory serves, I don't think we've had ANY hint of romance/sexuality/lustful desires expressed in thought or word by any of the F7 throughout the series (except Kharadmon in memory). Not in regards to themselves, lots to Dakar of course. So then you have to take what you know or imagine of them and try to picture how it would work…

Sethvir–unfortunately, he gives the impression of being the "oldest" and least virile among the F7. TO ME! I mean, he's pretty spry and all that. But the long tangled beard, he's pretty much a "shut-in", very bookish and dreamy (although we know he can be otherwise, just talking about his normal mien). To me, he doesn't give off any sexuality vibes at all.

Asandir–seems the most likely to have a romance… he's the "field sorcerer" and is active and arguably the most virile in the group. He seems to be willing to interact freely and easily with the common Atheran, on their level, and he has to deal with all the intricacies of life on the go in Athera.

Davien–a huge enigma, and we didn't have to even consider it when he was discorporate. I still won't speculate there.

Kharamon/Luhaine–discorporate, so a moot point (in my mind).

Traithe–we really only get glimpses of Traithe's personality, and that is really only post-maiming. He must blend in easily with the Atheran population, but from his limited screen time, I don't think there's enough to go on. He's pretty ambiguous.

Ciladis–really not enough to guess on. We know he was the gentlest of the F7, and we have gotten at least two sequences of him in action throughout all of Janny's writings that I can think of. He was small, and kind, and gentle, and slow to anger (OK, I'm speculating a little, but I see him as the peacemaker). But I don't want to make any assumptions of sexuality based on stereotypes!

OK, I don't remember what my point was in going through all those guys. But, no I still don't think there's enough evidence to say one way or the other in regards to the sorcerers. And I still think that they're beyond having or having to satisfy sexual urges, so maybe it doesn't even matter what they WERE.

And Stephen you thought this thread would never get back on track! :wink:

Mer

originally posted by Memory

I've always thought of the F7 as pretty much asexual too, although for some strange reason Davien feels slightly more human than the rest. I don't really know why I feel that, since Traithe is so approachable, and it's clear how much Asandir cares for Arithon.

I see what you're saying about him, Stephen, though I don't know that I'd go as far as saying I agree. Perhaps it's the fact that he seems more 'dangerous' than other members of the Fellowship - more unpredictable -that we can imagine him in a light that is not possible for the others. The fact that he made such a colossal misjudgement (or did he?) also serves to humanise him in my eyes.

I haven't got my hands on SF yet (argh!), and I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more of Davien. NaNoWriMo ate my November and this month's a killer, but I'm hoping I might get it for Christmas…

(side note: glad no one else has nabbed my username! Been dropping in and out of here for years, but only just registered on the new system.)

originally posted by Auna

I never thought of Dumbledore as gay but apparently some readers picked up on certain things and the author admitted she wrote him with that in mind. With Vanyel, it was very obvious he was gay and it was a major part of his character growth/motivations at the beginning. You pretty much have to beat me over the head with a stick to get me to see gay-ness!

With that in mind, I still don't see sexual preference as being a key factor motivating anyone in this series, but rather the deeper love of the heart between people.

I think it's cool Janny is keeping it ambiguous - that way you can bring your own biases and have a different experience than someone else. I'm still peeved to this day that a poetry teacher of mine insisted on inflicting on the class the 'True' meaning of a poem about a thunderstorm that was really about the author's relationship with his wife who divorced him. While I can see it might have influenced the writing, I'm inclined to think like Tolkien and be annoyed at literary analysts that try to put things into stories that don't belong - better to just let stories be. (angst at that teacher, not anyone here!)

I personally don't think of SE as gay. Davien though… I'm gonna still say no. He's the most human of the F7 and I think the most traumatized by the entire drake binding ordeal. We haven't been let into his viewpoint yet on purpose to keep him mysterious. I think he's awed by Arithon's potential and sees hope for resolution where there was none before. I also think, more importantly, Arithon didn't reject him and even offered some semblance of friendship to him. Whether he outcast himself or feels outcast by others, he's still outcast, and it's been a long time since anyone thought about him in anything other than a negative light. F7 or not, that's got to affect him, perhaps more than he wants anyone to know.

originally posted by Kam

Regarding Frodo/Sam or any other literary pairings, I'd like to say: it's guy love. (Work safe)

originally posted by max

I hope that Ciladis is BEAUTIFUL!!! Healers [in literature] are sexy! I am tired of bearded ratty old wizards. At least Asandir strikesme as a handsome older man. A young handsome wizard would be really fun to read about. Yes I know Arithon is handsome but he is not a wizard yet and the handsome spellbinder in the swamp is not around enough to get to know him, at least not yet. I am looking forward to reading how Ciladis turns out. [smiling at ya]

Max, this question really is not a mystery…:wink:

originally posted by Clansman

Isn't Ciladis described in Child of Prophecy? I don't have my copy handy, so I don't remember the description, but he figures largely in that story, near the end.

originally posted by max

Sooooo… where can I read the 'Child of Prophecy'? I know it's been discussed before but I am in and out of the computer these days and I believe it was part of a collection of short stories. thank you [smiling at ya]

originally posted by Lisa

max

Child of Prophecy is in the book Masters of Fantasy edited by Bill Fawcett & Brian Thomsen.