Cover art and such

Looking for Brenda -

I posted that I had the sketch available for the cover painting (US Traitor's Knot, as seen in the progressive view of the work in progress) - and Brenda met my price, matted, no frame.

The problem: the sketch has been matted, is ready to send, but her E mail doesn't work. I need to know if she's still interested - could she contact me? I also need a shipping address…

Otherwise, the sketch may go to DragonCon…

Brenda please let me know where you are…:smiley:

originally posted by Annette

Strange, I clicked on the Traitor's Knot discussion topic and discovered a whole new area to explore. :smiley:

Janny is that the stone knife Enithen Tuer gave to Sulfin Evend?

I had all this time been thinking the stone knife would look more like the ancient knapped flint knives of earth, a lot wider and from the description in the book smaller if you can wear it around your neck. It was not till I was rechecking the art in the books and saw the line drawing at the back I realised the knife on the cover was made of stone. The thong being attached to the knife rather than the sheath also fooled me into thinking it was some other knife.

My other question concerns the USA cover art and the cover for Grand Conspiracy. At both the entrance to Kewar shown on the Grand Conspiracy cover and on the Traitor's Knot cover we see a symbol of an interwoven circle and cross. In Peril's gate when Arithon is confronted by his uncanny double within Kewar, he identifies the quartered cross and circle he sees on the floor as Daelion's Wheel. Janny is the pattern seen in the artwork on the covers the symbol for Daelion's Wheel? You never actually mentioned the symbol being in those places in the books and it seemed pretty important. I have hunted around to see if anyone else asked about it and did not see the answer anywhere.

And although Janny might not answer I always assumed the stone outline used for the icons on the current covers was the rim of a stone scrying bowl.

originally posted by Sleo

Which cover are you talking about, Annette, that has a knife on it? I have a hc with a portrait of Arithon sitting in a chair and Davien standing (love that image of Davien) and I have the current paperback. Neither has a knife that I can find.

The knife is on the UK cover the one with Thembrel's Oak in the background.

Is there an image of that one on this website?

you can see the knife in the cover art in progress section.
https://paravia.com/JannyWurts/website/ArtGallery/CoverArtInProgess/TraitorsK notBritish.html

You can see a tiny image of the final cover in the covers section.
https://paravia.com/JannyWurts/website/Books/WoLaS/TraitorsKnot.html

Or here is a better one of the icon.
Art | Janny Wurts - Official Website

Oh! Thanks. I never thought of that thing as a knife. I'm not sure I could put a name to it - perhaps the gadget at Althain tower that you can see things through? Is it Ciladis' thingie (can't think what they called it.

If you look on the last page of the biography in your HC version you will see a better image of the knife where you can tell the blade is stone. The rim from the cover is not part of the object, that is seperate and on all the new covers.

Ah yes! All my HC's of this series are brand new and I hate to even touch them, but I found it! Lovely. I've really come to appreciate Janny's art. It is so meticulous and beautifully drawn, just like her writing!

Annette - you asked.

That is the stone knife that Enithen Tuer turned over to Sulfin Evend.

Not all knapped flint knives are wide, or heavy. I have one here at home that is quite slender. And sharp!!!

The quartered cross you noted - Daelion's Wheel, that's apt. It has further symbolism, with regard to Davien.

Janny any hints as to the symbolism?

Is is just the shapes associated with Davien, the moon symbols of the belt buckle, moon (and sun?) of the ring and his flame inspired clothing style. Or is it to do with the seasons and colours? Cycle of life, elemental properties of fire or something else?

I am lousy at these sorts of things and was hoping someone would jump in with some suggestions. The crosses all over Arithon in the cover art jumped to the eye, and Davien's lunar symbolism could just mean the symbol represents an alliance between these two, but I have an idea it was something else.