Cover art and such

originally posted by Blue

I love First Maitz! Not only is the artwork great, Don's commentary is also not to be missed.

The three painting "suite" for the UK cover of Traitor's Knot is FINISHED. Off to the photographer with it pronto -

Time to bribe the gryphon - he's got jpgs! They go on site here when he's well and truly happy - (and has the spare time to do the techno stuff to them!)

Off to write a new short story - and do the interior graphics for the rest of this month.

originally posted by Cheryl

Would offering lots of mutton help!!!

originally posted by Trys

Mutton always helps. <g> ::sound of snapping beak is heard in the distance::

originally posted by Sandtiger

Janny,

Fantastic! Can't wait to see.

And good luck on the short story.

Sandtiger

originally posted by Konran

I wuv you, gryphon? *hopeful puppy eyes*

originally posted by DarkStorm

*offers a basket with several bottles of mutton sauce to the gryphon* :smiley:

I look forward to whatever tasty treats you guys post. *grins*

- DS

Images of the three paintings for the British cover of Traitor's Knot are now on the site under Art Gallery: Cover Art in Progress: British Traitor's Knot. Enjoy.

originally posted by Darren

Hmmmmm,

So we are back in Rathain - be nice to visit the the spring beneath Thembrel's Oak. Always wondered about it significance and I must say it looks stunning in colour.

Well done Janny.

Darren.

originally posted by skeoke

Is that Cianor's sun loop??

And, I'm guessing Arithon on the horse and Davien as eagle.

So, Davien did make the cover (if I'm right).

They (it?) look(s) wonderful! Can't wait to see it in person!!

originally posted by Hannah

Maybe my Atheran geography is off? What's that town/city/place in the background of the bottom image? I think that's what it is.

Hannah

originally posted by Hunter

Enjoy… I'm enjoying!!

If we assume (always dangerous!!) that:
- it is Arithon on the horse
- Davien as the Eagle
- the scene depicts them leaving Kewar Tunnel
- they are travelling east - early dawn, sun about to come up

then the town has to be Etarra… curious as to why they would be going there…

The only other option is that the town is Eastwall, the mountain range is the Skyshiels and Arithon is going to where Elaira is cloistered with Ath's Adepts… hmm… even more interesting possibilities…

Of course, I could always be wrong… but that's the fun of guessing!!

Identifying captions will be added when I get home from work. But conjecture is always fun. <g>

originally posted by Hellcat

I like!!! (Sorry nothing else to add aprt from that)

Hellcat

originally posted by Sandtiger

Ooooohhh. Lovely.

Sandtiger ::Always amazed at Janny's talent::

originally posted by Konran

Very very nice. I'm jealous of Janny's mad skillz with a brush. :smiley: Btw, I had an interesting dream the other night. o.O;; It involved Arithon and Davien (I think… not 100% sure on the other guy's identity…) flying over the ocean. Yes, -flying-. Both of them had wings. Pretty red dragon wings. Premonition or whacked-out creation of my subconscious? We shall see. :wink: (Hey, I dreamed my mom promised to buy me a book and then she took me book shopping… it could happen… *drools over thought of Arithon with pretty wings*)

Not Ciladis' sunloop - that is made of shining metal, has a very elegant line, and certainly isn't looped with rawhide and stone beads. (very wicked grin) - What are seeing is an object, bisected by the "stone rim" which will frame the view of a circular segment of the sunrise landscape.

I have now seen "comps" of the 3 reissue covers - and wow do they ever look nice! I cannot wait to let you see them - but since the editor in question is on holiday, she won't see them (or have her offical chance to comment on them to the art department) until Monday. Therefore, the official unveiling must wait until I know whether these designs are the final ones.

Approaching halfway point on short story - and sometime this weekend, Don's computer will be "free" for me to scan that sketch of Davien, and maybe even, two more Paravia Sketchbook images. We'll see. I've had the drafting pens out, and have inked the circles for the chapter head graphic for Traitor's Knot…that stuff has to be done, too.

originally posted by Aria

EEEE!!! I really can't wait for the release now!
First preview snippets and now cover art.

Janny how on Earth you get all of this finished by deadlines I'll never know. Especially since they always seem to look fantastic.

Right now art work…we know that isn't the Sunloop (wish it was, I want to see it!;-)) Could it perhaps be something either to do with Lysaers' cronies (sorry I just wanted to get that word in)attempting to track what is going on? Although I doubt it since they seem to enjoy blood scrying. So I wonder could it be something to do with the Sanpashir desert clans, or perhaps Herb witches or even the Necromancers that appeared in passing I think in P.G (Don't ask me where any of that came from I don't have a clue.) Since I don't see it being anything to do with the Fellowship nor do I see it having anything to do with the Koriathain.

Finally Thembrel's Oak is in Halwythwood which could indicate that Arithon will at one point meet Jeynsa which could be interesting; and as for the city are we certain that it is the Mathorn mountains? Because I think it would be more likely to be the Skyshiels. There is a reason. As far as I'm aware from looking at the map Etarra is in the middle of a confluence not actually within the mountains as the city in the picture is. Also, now this is just my mind. I always thought Etarra to be bigger than that. So I think, as Hunter said as a second option, that the town is Eastwall.

Okay, now I've just blabbed on and on. So I go now to hide again for another few months.

Aria.

originally posted by Blue

Since you are looking forward to using Don's scanner, Janny, I take it he is past the stage where he is swearing at it? ;^)

Speaking of dreams, Konran, I had one recently wherein Arithon did a favor for the characters in the story I am writing, and the princess who is respectfully known as the spitfire got him a good one… I'll let Janny decide if Arithon is in character or not:

Seeing the majority of the family and crew members descending on the other Masterbard, Arithon tried to slip unnoticed through the crowd. Strong fingers grasped his belt, however, and Seka's fine alto rang out clearly, "And just where do you think YOU'RE going?"

A hard yank pulled him around, and even a sailor's grace during rough seas could not fully save him as he fetched up against her belly. The child within kicked in protest as she took hold of his shirt ties and pulled him closer. "You returned my brothers to me. This is the least I can do," she said with an evil twinkle in her dark eyes and pressed her lips against his.

It was hard for him to think clearly for a few moments, because Seka had full, warm lips, and was an experienced kisser. Additionally, it was not the first time he had been seized and kissed so forcefully by a petite, spirited, auburn haired woman. The unbidden association, as he managed to pull away, stung. Instead of Elaira, the features before him, while elfin in form, were those of a stranger. Her fingers tightened their grip on his laces as her husband called out in mock outrage, "What's this? Sir, are you trying to seduce my wife?"

Before Arithon could draw breath to reply, Seka turned her head, a few locks of unruly auburn hair flicking across his cheek, and retorted, "Oh, aye, Alione, he's been whispering to me for DAYS about how much he likes BLOATED women, and that the next time your back is turned, he's going to drag me off belowdecks to ravish me!"

Arithon turned slightly pink, which was completely unnoticed by anyone but Dakar, whose lips had disappeared. The Mad Prophet risked a snort, though Arithon's brilliant green eyes were fierce with the promise of the infamous s'Ffalenn temper. The King of Ivanalle did a comic doubletake, his lower jaw almost touching his chest. "But - I - I," he stammered.

"Oh, really!" she snarled, hooking her fingers into Arithon's belt and pulling him closer. Dakar had both hands to his mouth, and was turning an alarming shade of purple, sniggering. "Even if either of us WERE so inclined, considering the shape I'm in, thanks to YOU, unless he is hiding a spectacular bowsprit beneath those breeks, I doubt he'd get close enough to me to have ANY kind of fun!"

Arithon's cheeks turned a brilliant crimson at the next sally, which came from Ayleea, the Captain of Boarders. "Hey, Princess Seka, I'll be happy to measure his bowsprit for you! Your sister Mayhem says that green eyed men are better between the sheets, and I want to put THAT to the test!"

Even the male crew joined in the laughter, though the Kheteinn's crew were trying very hard to conceal their reactions from their Captain. Whenever Arithon's regard touched on them, they hurriedly changed their guffaws to coughing fits.

Finally, ruefully, Arithon caught Seka's attention, and by mutual consent, he managed to pry her grip from his belt and laces. His expression was that of the victim of a well planned prank as he released her left hand, and raised her right to his lips.

"Remind me, Your Grace of Vensharr and Ivanalle, to remain on friendly terms with you," he said with a half smile. "You have a tongue like a razor."

Seka inclined her head, but she could not resist the final word. "And you, Your Grace of Rathain, have sweet lips, but you need practice. You kiss like a little boy!"

With that, he released her hand, and she strode off as grandly as her condition would allow. Alione glared at her, but she looked up at him, with a wicked grin, and he sighed, overcome. It was too much for Dakar, however, as his hands gave way and he started braying with laughter.

The images now have title's beneath them and the bottom picture is entitled, "Overlook at Etarra".