P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I agree that it's very presumptious!

And who has just been spend a long period of time with Aths Adepts learning all about crystals etc?

originally posted by George

Good point Mark! I have the sneaking suspicion that we are going to see a show down between Selidie and Elaira and I'm tipping it will be a battle for control of the Waystone.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
!
!
!

I know that Janny wrote that the iyat has become trapped in the waystone, but I wonder if it can become re-animated if someone tries to access the waystone's power. If that is the case, then everytime that Selidie tries to access the waystone, not only does she have to fight off the imprinted memories and maliciousness of the waystone, but the iyat as well! Also it seems that the iyats have a voracious appetite for energy, so theoretically it could become almost invincible on the power of the waystone. That is my understanding…

Janny please feel free to but in at any time and correct my hypotheses! :smiley:

Cheers
George.

And another point…Is it my imagination or has Janny "sexed up" the WoLaS in this latest instalment.

I mean we get a whole lot of references to genitals, breasts and love making. It seems like, the whole series has been so virginal so far, that TK seems a little skanky!!! :o

Cheers
George.

originally posted by Trys

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

George,

This is the first book in quite a while where Arithon and Elaira have been in close physical proximity. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by timetaylor

More questions than answers long post.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
Some interesting theories can be drawn from the latest installment in literary addiction. An iyat is a creation of the great drakes, energy given awarenes but being incomplete they lack the gift memory and are unable to build upon experience. This being the case what will happen to the iyat now that it resides inside a gem that contains all of the memories of the past primes? will it simply go on its merry way or will the experience and knowledge in the stone let it evolve? and if so how different would it be to a mistwraithe? as for the citrine both crystals are forms of fancy quartz this form is called an ametrine the colour could be coincidence but probably not.If arithon can freeze the iyats with his gift of shadow and the sword it is possible the mistwraithes would also succumb considering the similarities he noted in kewar maze. also does anyone know Lirendas ancestary? if the prime was chasing offsring of a cathdein for his talent to replace her where did lirendas talent come from? it seems odd that sevthir spared her and her subordinates when they retrieved the waystone as he could have let them perish in free will under the terms of the compact, also under the terms of the compact couldnt elaira have asked for an intercession from the seven for her child regardless of her subjugated will? it also seems that davien is trying to engineer the downfall of the human race at the same time as the return of the paravians and is influencing arithon as such. ah well the next novel isnt far away, and we can all live in hope that the prime is possessed next time she tries tu use the great waystone.

originally posted by Kam

I have long held my belief that Janny's characters are all planning some sort of revolt against her. :stuck_out_tongue:

Davien is a puzzle and no mistake. Although we've learnt alot more about his motives in TK but there's still parts that are sketchy. (Is anyone else in love with that scene of Davien and Sethvir arguing?)

George; You're right! I also got that impression while reading TK. I was quite… er… surprised by the change in atmosphere. We've never really had an Arithon that played upon his sexuality strengths like that before. :smiley:

Timetaylor; now there's some interesting theories on that iyat…

I have to get my mind off Davien and onto other things.

One side note:

If a natural amethyst is subject to HEAT, it will change to citrine…this happens naturally - it also can be done by "baking" (and is, by some Humans)…

Therefore: the shift in the Waystone at this jointure did not involve Davien.

originally posted by Annette

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Finished TK this morning. Bring on SF!!! I want it now!!! Unfortunately I know that we have to wait but waiting is sooo painful. It took me so long to finish the book that I can't even remember what happened in the front half. I guess that I will just have to read it again - I know I feel everyone's sorrow on my behalf. This book was fabulous Janny. The ending was so cool. I was feeling like all hope was lost and then our boy pulled his fat out of the fire again. I shouldn't have doubted him for a second. And all that after the humiliation he suffered with Elaira, Dakar, Kharadmon, etc. etc…that was really really cruel Janny. He sure has gone through the ringer - AGAIN! I wonder if he and Elaira will ever get together. You wouldn't leave them dangling forever would you Janny? (no double entendre intended there guys). Anyway I have to go re-read. Thanks for a great book Janny.

originally posted by Hunter

Hey Janny,

You just nixed my Davien conspiracy theory! Bummer…

:smiley:

originally posted by Hunter

George - you're not suggesting the cover should have had Arithon and Elaira in a passionate embrace a la Danielle Steele / Mills and Boon type novel… I don't believe I saw the phrase "heaving bosom" anywhere in the book… :smiley:

Hunter- i do remember several references to Glendien's "rounded breast"…

It seems like "spring must be in the air" in Athera…

And what is the deal with Sulfin Evend? It's like he can't wait to get his clothes off at any given moment! He gets it off in front of Enithen Tuer, Asandir, Lysear (a couple of times)…I'm starting to get the feeling he's a little bit of an exhibitionist…

originally posted by Demi

I think I want to cry. Truly spoilers are bad, very, very, very, bad…I don't think I will be opening this thread again.

three months, three months, three months, three months…

originally posted by Beth

Spoilers keep those of us who are desperately waiting for a chance at the book to keep what little sanity we have until we can read everything.

Sad to hear that yet again Arithon and Elaira aren't together (had great hopes after the last book) and that she is pregnant?
I only hope Arithon is the father. But based on what I read previously, I really didn't think Arithon would do anything that would add a child to the 'game'. Really makes me wonder what goes on in TK.

Beth

originally posted by Kathy Jacobs

Greetings,

I absolutley loved TK, as always I find Janny's work a treat to read not only for the tale that unfolds but the beauty of the language.
S
p
o
i
l
e
r
Would anyone care to speculate on Arithon's greatest desire (or was it heart's desire - I don't have my copy of TK with me)and how a knowledge of necromancy will help him achieve it. This is as per the converstion between Davian and Dakar??

originally posted by michael

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
!

wow that was insane… thank you very much. i must say many rereads are needed to understand that book.
i was suprised that the unicorns were astonished by our favourite boy. i kinda feel that Davien while wanting to get rid of humanity has taken a different turn with our boy. i feel like he is trying to push him enough so that he evolves beyond what he would have otherwise. Davien seems to be trying to force humanity to either leave athera or become more than a mere shell.
already Arithon has been forced to accept his total. he has done something the unicorns are suprised at… accepted he is the land and the land him.

originally posted by Auna

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

I got slightly teary with Davien and Sethvir arguing, since Sethvir is barely hanging in there and Davien appears hard hearted about the situation. I know he's got his own agenda and his ideas might be the better ones, if a bit callous seeming. All I can think of after this scene is that Arithon has his work cut out for him if he's to bring the F7 back together.

I'm actually glad to see some steamy scenes! I just wish Arithon could have been spared that humiliation. I can't wait for the Prime showdown. Dang meddling wench! I figure Elaira has learned about crystals for a reason that the Prime will grow to regret :wink:

Sorry! I take my word back. I am here to feed off what scraps you guys across the sea have.

What humiliation? what pregnancy? I can only guess that it wasn't Elaira that was in the love seen.

Three months!

originally posted by Izzy

Demi,

I'm sorry to say that unless someone else writes it up, I'm not going to tell. I actually wrote a few paragraphs explaining it, but decided not to post it when I re-read what I had written. It so absolutely demeaned Janny's hard work that I could not bring myself to click the post button. I felt dirty.

Sorry again.

Regards,

CJ

originally posted by Hannah

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I'm sorry, if you think I can adhere to this code of vague spoiler hints that has gone before me, you're much mistaken. If you haven’t read the book, please just scroll past. You’ll only ruin your experience. I just have to post what I feel, having finished the book, oh, about 15 minutes ago. It took me PRECISELY a week to finish the book, almost right on the nose! (Although, I didn't read the first chapter, because I was in a hurry to get in and had already read that a few times in anticipation of the release.)

Okay, let me recall. I wrote my thoughts down on a notebook as I went along. (all page numbers refer to the UK TP edition)

The first scenes with Arithon and Davien under the mountain were very satisfying. I was afraid Janny would do a whole "Arithon goes into the mountain. Arithon's in the mountain chatting with Davien! [end book] [start book] Arithon is leaving the mountain bidding Davien farewell and thanks for a great time!" So I was relived to actually have the interaction. The discussion centering on page 57 was very informative of Davien's actual thoughts (as much as can be determined of his actual thoughts) on the Compact.

On page 59, which was part of one of the spoilers Janny released to us a while ago, it mentions Arithon dutifully picking up his bread crust. I thought that was a metaphor. But no. He's actually eating a crust of bread. I just thought that was funny, to shatter my preconception there. Um, yeah. It was funny to me!

On page 68, I almost weeped to finally see the depth of Lysaer's grief and still desperate love for Talith. After her death on FP, he had to soldier along without revealing his weakness. So it was a stunning reminder, so far after the fact.

It just occurred to me the irony of Feylind’s ‘first mate.’ And children!! And Fiark, equally leg-shackled and paternal! My, they do grow up fast. ::head shake:: I can’t quite reconcile how they’ve grown. How can people actually desire to go out of their way to meet ‘the clam’, when to me he’s still just a tow-headed little terror throwing stones.

Glendien. I couldn’t stop myself from cynically writing ‘Talith 2: The Second Coming’ on my notebook. No offense meant to Janny, and no implication meant of character recycling. I have/had an aversion to both women just as people, as their personality is described by the author. But oh my goodness, I was relieved by the way that whole fiasco turned out. Thank god Erlien and Kyrialt weren’t fooled. Actually, Kyrialt is a great character, much love to him. The thought of Arithon completely ruining his good name through the clans, as word passed of a failed rape attempt forced me to throw the book down in anger (on my pillow, no worries) and walk away for a bit.

One word: omhnakedbathwrestlingheehee!! Yeah, I’m immature. I was trying to settle down and absorb the import of that scene, but, well, I’m only a girl.

Speaking of which–Sulfin Evend. I thought my job sucked! I’ve always liked him, and that hasn’t changed. The man has impeccable good sense.

Another scene that moved me to tears was Ellaine’s travel to the Grove, and subsequent reunion with Kevor. Just the peace of the grove, and the sweetness of their discovery’ ::sniffle::

Raiett Raven. I can’t believe it. We held such potential for him, and he was just taken so suddenly. We barely knew ya! ::mourn::

Davien. Overall? My fondness for him cooled immensely. The argument with Sethvir was merciless. His interaction with, well, with Dakar or any of the Fellowship set my teeth on edge. I’m trying to be objective and see past his apparent cold-hearted indolence to the other motives that he surely must have. I can’t say I agree with some of the opinions he expressed.

Dakar. Poor man. Seems like I’m the only one who is touched by his continued loyalty and love for Arithon. I really felt for his trepidation reuniting with Arithon in Etarra after the Consumation Scene in the grove (as I shall tactfully refer to it.)

Speaking of which scene! Oh, Janny, I could barely read it! Riding along with Dakar, I felt his aversion to prying both because the scene was masterfully written, as always, and just from my own desire to not want to read something so perfectly personal between Arithon and Elaira become ruined by necessity. But, I felt that outcome was better than the prescient prophecy of Dakar’s at the beginning of the Chapter! I made the mistake of choosing to begin that chapter while at work, so I was running out to my car on break and in between just staring in a daze of disbelief and dismay. (I work on the phone all day, so my mind kept thinking ‘How can you be asking me such mundane questions about vehicles and money?! Don’t you realize that Elaira could become pregnant? PREGNANT!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT WOULD MEAN!’ Don’t worry, I’m still employed.) Anyhow. I had to flip ahead to make sure that what I wanted to happen happened. I was surprised and’ er, irritated honestly by Elaira’s anger back in the clan lodge tent. Trying not to accuse either of being ungrateful. It’s hard to grasp the level of their relationship together, still unconsummated.

Arithon’s proposal to the s’Brydions: unbelievable! I didn’t think for a moment that they would agree, but I was also saddened that they have not. Yet. This is the only aspect in which I’m impatient for the next book.

The iyat storm out at sea. A long read, and in the end, I felt that Selidie didn’t get nearly the comeuppance she deserved. Damn the woman! Damn her eyes!

Okay, and I was titillated in the final chapter, about the woman whose children were captured by Caolle, but not killed, and how they randomly showed up so many years later. When reading the scene with Jieret and Caolle and the woman, and still nowhere near understanding Janny’s subtlety, I arrogantly assumed the woman was getting set up for a larger purpose, marrying Jieret or somesuch. I was humbled, but wiser, when she just dropped from sight, apparently completely unimportant. But, then, the circle was completed, as the trite saying goes.

I loved the scene in Innish with the whores vs. the naked Sunwheel priests. :smiley:

Jeynsa’ I don’t understand her. I’ll reserve judgment.

I love Talvish, he’s teh sex. Ohmigosh, so is Verrain. Woo, Verrain! He finally gets some time to shine. Iannfar! The gangly man-child has grown up nicely!

I don’t mention my thoughts of Arithon, because really he’s too complex to be summed up in a ‘I thought he was cool in this book!’ type of line. I really see him more as a Force that effects the lives of the other characters. He’s rather unknowable, but can only be understood by looking at the results of his actions. If that makes any sense.

Overall (that’s right, I appear to be reaching a conclusion!), I am surprised, thinking back, at how short of a timeframe the book actually covered, and how there were just a handful of actual major scenes, but each one took a hefty chunk of book. All my favorite characters got a chance to shine! I mean, really, who wasn’t involved in an important aspect at some point in the story? Maenol?

I enjoyed the sense of completion and balance of having the book both begin and end with Davien and Arithon (well, though, I did skip the first chapter, so I guess technically it didn’t begin there except in my mind). It just bookended everything so neatly, so that you can take the first conversation in one hand and the last in the other, and think about everything that happened in between and understand what has changed from beginning to end.

Janny, if you really were wanting to get some (well-deserved, for your mammoth efforts!) in depth feedback, and some reflection on the book, I hope this well suffice, for my part. I just feel better having gotten that off my chest!

And if any of you are reading this that haven’t gotten the book, for shame! I make no apologies; you were forewarned.

Hannah

This is so much better. I still don't understand crud about what you are saying but it's still cool

I have an exam tomorrow morning but I'm ok despite tons of reading left to do.

Three months!