Stormed Fortress: Status Updates

originally posted by Trys

Janny,

The text display in that green only in old version of Netscape. I suspect non-standard HTML tags but don't know for sure. I do know the HTML document was created by using a Microsoft tool, so anything is possible.

Trys

Thanks for the cross check, Cheryl and Trys. It's a relief to know, since I put a bit of care into those answers!

originally posted by Hunter

Your bias is showing young Jeffrey…

originally posted by Trys

Me, biased… against the great and powerful company behind the curtain!? Never!! <grin>

originally posted by Beth

Living with a computer geek, I constantly hear how bad Windoze is. :smiley: Not that I don't agree…but there are times when it gets bad.

There are two reasons my computer is a windows machine. 1) Quicken only runs reliably on a windows machine. 2) Most of the games I want to play won't run under a UNIX derivative. The other 5 computers my husband uses are all FreeBSD, Sun or Linux OSs.

And I absolutely hate IE and believe any site using which can only be seen with IE doesn't deserve my business. :smiley:

Beth

Ah, where are we…(grin)

Adjusting the pacing of this volume's draft to kick off the close of an arc…it's taking a bit to "reset" the stage for this, as its pacing is Way too hot for an opening.

The fortunate part - this Had to Happen. Way Too much was going to get pinched, if I'd had to zip this up as the "end" of TK.

For anybody prematurely worried about the Next two arc's length - they are MUCH shorter. As Mistwraith and Ships were shorter arcs.

So I am "stepping in" the material that needed to be there all along…and its the sort of damnfool decision making (juggling with plot thread progression) that makes me nuts.

However: the lovely run of feedback (ALL of it) is helping me to see where the concepts need a bit more tweak for depth of definition so the explosive finale detonates with just the right impact. THANKS GUYS! All of your comments were time well spent.

I will post page counts, later…the "sequential" at this point is all messed up - as the old pages are being pulled apart with hand notes and postits, and the reformatting of the chapter breaks isn't set yet…the penalty of last year's decision to split coming due…though well familiar with this process from GC and PG, doesn't make it any easier.

When this book comes out, ONE DAY - I will tell y'all what you'd have missed IF I had gone on to write it from the "other perspective" - and truth to tell, it WASN'T moving for me for a darned telling reason.

Ah well - back to plot hatching…I have a few more Paravia sketches, too, once Don gets the operating system on his computer up again, (he's updating the lot) and the scanner gets the refit it needs to mesh with the new gearing. Ghod, I hate gadget retooling…straight imagination is SO much more elegant!

(Should it be Kharadmon vs the rockhead s'Brydion, this pitch? Hmmmm…)

originally posted by Walt

Kharadmon vs. s'Brydion??? Wha…? Bu…? Ack! You are a mischevious tease!!! :^) You must drive Don to distraction at Christmas! Then again, we wouldn't have you any other way!

originally posted by Rurack

I knew I should not have clicked on this thread. I've managed to not read any of the TK threads. Now this. WHY???

Can we really be that close to the end?

originally posted by Blue

Rurack, you look as though you are suffering from MY problem with the series, I want to peek at the end, but I don't WANT it to end.

Knowing Janny, however, even if she WERE to allow someone to peek at the very last triplet (?) we'd still be speculating like mad, because we wouldn't know WHAT happened.

I peeked at the end of GC before I read it, and the triplet about the "New Koriani Prime Matriarch" made ABSOLUTELY no sense until I read GC through all the way.

Is Don still swearing at the scanner, or has it decided to capitulate?

I guess if the s'Brydion were going to simply pull Alestron apart, they would have agreed with Arithon in TK and just got on with it…

I think I would prefer Luhaine boring the s'Brydion's into action with the type of long winded lecture Kharadmon is forever teasing him about.

Perhaps Kharadmon can get one of the s'Brydion's to inhale a lot of tienelle, have their spirit leave the body and get them to guard Athera against the wraith invasion from Marak… that would be a fun battle :smiley:

originally posted by Sandtiger

::Snarf:: ::Sputter:: ::Chokes on tea::

What a vision, Hunter.

Sandtiger

I thought you might like it… :smiley:

After all, if the s'Brydions are clan lineage, then surely they have some dormant talent which could be awakened like Jieret and have them go off and do stuff… like fight Mistwraith… that would seem like a fun sport to a s'Brydion…

Blue most of the time I manage to keep my impulses in check. But oh it is so hard some times. I have given up reading the index of most fantasy books. Some writers put anything in there, not Janny though. I remember the first time I picked up Eye of the world. That first paragraph had me reading the whole index and I new alot of the stuff that was going on in the book simply because of it. Never again. I have decided to let the writers take me on their journey. Never even read the last chapter of The Dark tower series. Maybe in a couple of years I'll read it and be "satisfied" but who knows

originally posted by Blue

Rurack, I think the reason why you can't glean major plot points out of Janny's indexes is that Janny is a consummate tease… just like the cute little psychotic Russian Blue who sits by my chair, howls to get my attention, and then runs like someone just ignited his jets when I reach down to pet him.

When working on my little opus, I keep the index handy, but with something extra - I have a section right underneath with the physical description of the person/place/thing in question, and then an Author's Privilege note, such as whether that person lives or dies, who s/he marries, and the like. I have it set up so that when I finally get around to finishing it, I can simply erase the Author's Privilege notes, with the major plot points so that a reader would just be looking at a generalized description of the entry.

I still remember the time I was most angry with a book cover, and that was on Blue Adept, the second book of Piers Anthony's wonderful Apprentice Adept series. The cover, by Rowena Morill, was gorgeous, except that it GAVE AWAY A MAJOR PLOT POINT!!! I wanted to find out WHO had commissioned it without double checking, and smack that person into the following decade. Not Ms. Morill however, since, as mentioned before, the picture was gorgeous.

originally posted by Walt

Oh great, Blue! Now I need to go dig out my Adept series books and re-checke out the cover… Oh well, it will distract me from waiting on MM's issue of TK…

I will resist temptation…
I will resist temptation…
Must not read spoilers… :^)

originally posted by Dan Johnston

I'm rather looking forward to this particular book; I'm almost done on Traitor's Knot and wildly speculating as to how things are going to conclude.

I have always wondered though - and correct me if I'm wrong - in the start of Curse of the Mistwraith, doesn't the prologue/opening speak as though the books are a re-telling of the story, rather than the history version written by the victor?
Much as I love seeing the 'Good Guys' lose; it would be gutwrenching in this series…

COTM starts off in the 5th age. And is real Janny like in how little details she actually gives. Just enough for you to reread it and nash your teeth in frustration. :smiley:

It says things like "to belive the canno of the religion of the Time Lysear was divinity incarnate and Arithon was the root of all evil" or some such. Then it went on to say something like people pulled up records to the contrary. And a group went back and peiced together the events of the time through some magical means.

originally posted by max

Just a thought people… Is resisting temptation a socially redeeming value… or maybe a character virtue?? because I almost never resist temptation!! [grinning wolfishly at ya]

originally posted by John Parsons

Something to make you pause…
In the 1950's an attempt was made to characterize what a criminal was (rather than simply what they did). The conclusion drawn was that a criminal wanted what everybody else wanted (nice home, possessions, holidays etc etc) but they wouldn't wait until they could afford them - whereas **ordinary** law abiding folk were prepared to wait, making resisting temptation the sole difference between a criminal and everyone else.
Now however NOBODY is prepared to wait (buy now pay later??)
Does that make everybody a criminal???

John

originally posted by Hannah

John, forgive me for being predictable, but… if reading Janny's books as quickly as I can get my greedy mitts on them is criminal, you can lock me up and throw away the key, 'cause I will continue to be unrepentant. >:-D