Sneak peek

DONE!!!

You'll have to wait a bit to see the final, however. I have to drive the painting to Tampa tomorrow to be professionally shot into a digital image.

All that went down in the past 3 days was detail picking and adding "dimension" to what was already well along. And a lot of work on Arithon's face. And fussing with sconces and metal and twitching this and that to make stuff sparkle.

To BED for me - My socks are so beat, they are goners. (grin)

originally posted by Blue

Just out of curiosity, why is it not possible [aside from the size of the painting] to simply put the painting on a scanner [once Don is finished swearing at it, of course ;^)] and "Photograph" the image?

I took a photoshop class a few years ago, and the images look like photographs [Warning! Amateur rendering an opinion here].

Occasionally, I like to scan unusual things for different effects. For example, my favorite computer "wallpaper" is a corner of a washcloth, which I then put in "tiled" mode for the background. The color and texture alone is a lot of fun to look at. Should I ever get Stormcloud (alias Squirmcloud) to hold still, I might see about Russian Blue fur as a background texture.

originally posted by Trys

Blue,

There is a huge difference in the quality between a professional scanner and a 'home' scanner. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by phil

out of interst how big is the file done by a professional scanner?

originally posted by Emrys

Blue - If you Google for 'catscan' and 'feline', you might be able to find the site I saw a year or so ago. Someone did get a bunch of felines to sit, etc on scanners.

Janny - Congratulations! That sounds like a lot of work. It must be a great relief and thrill to have the painting done.

The files are HUGE - they take mucho time to load, and are higher definition than any printer will ever need. But for example: Don just got a pirate painting placed with a wall mural compay - it it will be reproduced, roomsized, for that. Good thing he had the massive file.

Getting this image on a home scanner - IMPOSSIBLE. It measures 23 1/2 by 36 INCHES. No way that will get on the scanner bed…we shoot it digitally with a camera to get the jpgs for the site.

The pro will have better equipment, and better lighting - and so the picture quality will be more true to the original, with less glints from "hot spots" where the varnish was too shiny.

We had a crystal clear morning, so soon, I'll clean up today's file and pass it to the gryphon. Tonight will be a wilt in front of STargate evening. I need a 'reset'.

Tonight will be a wilt in front of Stargate evening. I need a 'reset'.

Jeez, Janny, if anyone deserves it, it's you. After all, writing Traitor's Knot, the short stories you have done so far this year, and painting all those covers… yeah, you deserve a break. Especially if you go in for your Stargate break and Don says something like, "I don't believe we've met, what are you doing in my house?"

By the way, Trys and all, thanks for the information about scanners. I'll look up that catscan thing, too, Emrys. Thank you!

Emrys,

I found the site. Unusual is the best word I can come up with to describe the images.

Trys

originally posted by Hannah

Wow, Janny that is a huge painting. Sounds like fun to paint something that large, and I'd love to see it in person! Do you have a sleeper sofa?

(Hopefully I don't need to actually advise that I'm joking. Unless you want to pay my airline ticket…)

And thanks to both of you for the hard work in this whole "cover art in progress" project. I've really really enjoyed watching the progression!

Hannah

The gryphon has apparently posted the final version of the painting.

The work will very likely be on exhibition at Worldcon and also at World Fantasy.

The final image is up. Sorry to have forgotten to post here about it. :smiley:

originally posted by Jay_Jay

"The work will very likely be on exhibition at Worldcon and also at World Fantasy."

OHHHHH…Yet ANOTHER reason why I wanna go!

BTW< when Janny posted about Don's pirate painting, at first my tired brain interpreted it as 'pirated'! And for a moment, I was going WHAAAATT?? Then I remembered Don's love of pirates, and it all made sense.

I think I'd better go to bed… :stuck_out_tongue:

originally posted by skeoke

Looking at the final image it strikes me:

Those hands were never made to weild a sword!

:wink:

Great artistry, Janny. Can't wait to see it without the copyright through it.

originally posted by Lyssabits

Anyone else think it's odd that the candle on Arithon's side of the room isn't lit, while the one on Davien's side is? The poor boy shouldn't be reading in bad lighting like that, it's not good for his eyes. :wink:

Or maybe *I* shouldn't be reading anything in that. Although one never knows, with Janny being so sneaky and all.

Well, Lyssabits, there are two pet theories I have on this:

1. As Master of Shadow, Arithon probably has excellent night vision - he'd have to, in order to be able to use his shadows intelligently.

2. After so long without his mage sight, he might just be wanting to test it out, just to make sure it still works as he remembers.

Speaking as someone who had to relearn to walk, I actually pushed myself harder than the rehab people were expecting in order to walk again. It was a way, to me, to prove to myself that yes, everything is still there and it still works.

Of course, it may just be that Janny thought the lighting makes him look better. ;^)

Janny also uses symbolism in her paintings. Perhaps there is 'hidden' meaning to the two candles, just as there is probably hidden meaning to the compass point on the cushion under Arithon's foot.

Trys

originally posted by DarkStorm

Wow, wow, wow! :smiley: Been gone and came back to an awesome painting! Beautiful work, Janny! Perspective must've been fun to deal with . . .

I must say Davien sure has a nice pad inside that mountain. What would happen if you didn't return one of his library books though? J/K :wink:

Actually, I'm wondering just how relax is Arithon. He may look it, but his glance towards Davien could hint at interesting discussions between the two. And Davien, despite the confident face, looks like he might be on the defensive with the crossed arms.

Compass could indicate Arithon's departure from Kewar and his journey to some place or another? Eep, can't wait to read this now!