P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Spoilers ahead…

When Arithon was off cavorting with the Athlien Paravians in the King's Grove in Selkwood, it occurred to me that there was no mention of him either asking, or thinking to ask, just where Ciladis might be and what it might take to free him?

I know that Dakar's Black Rose Prophecy was deliberately withheld from Arithon, but having read through Ciladis' books within Davien's library, his discussion with Davien about whether they think Ciladis is still alive and his knowledge that Ciladis departed a few centuries ago to find the Paravians, I would have thought it a question Arithon might have asked?

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

I think that, despite himself and his higher training, he is still mortal and the enrapture that he felt whilst in their presence caused him to "let go" - something that he'd not even fully done when the Centaur (paravian name escapes me) walked with him in Kewar.

His presence of mind was not as it would have been, had he actually been in control of all his faculties.

Good point though :smiley:

originally posted by Neil

Why would the paravians tell Arithon if they knew? The centaur refused to elucidate Arithon on at least one point in Kewar.

Arithon has not accepted kingship…also he has no responsibilty to find Ciladis although his worth and Elaira's (why would a Paravian bless her anyway? Would it *do* anything?) to humanity's future seem acknowledged by paravians.

Curiously the Asandir(?) asked Arithon what would he do in their situation - an odd thing to ask in retrospect except if they wanted an easy way of getting hum out of the way during Fugitive Prince…they knew he would likely fail? - Arithon replied find the paravians…he did not reply find Ciladis. Maybe this is could be Davien's next move; he is surely curious (but this subejct is not "talked about" even between F7 members…? Curious. They fear to name their fear?

If a drake-bound fellowship member is imprisonned…it must be something powerful…Surely the drake-oath would have activated despite any free will to sumbit to sleep or whatever (if it actually is him being watched over by a Unicorn in COTM…and why would Janny have even put this in COTM although it makes for a nice scene when the Sunlight is returning).

originally posted by Hunter

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I wasn't suggesting that the Paravians would *tell* Arithon, only that he might ask.

I think it rather odd (which means the reasons are logically valid but hideously labrynthine to unravel) that despite the despair of the Fellowship because:
a) Paravians having left Paravia;
b) Sethvir being unable to find them; and
c) having lost Ciladis when he failed to return from his search

that real, live Paravians have deigned to appear twice for Arithon and once for Elaira, with a shade called up by Jieret to confront Lysaer. (I'm not counting Sethvir's little trick on Lirenda, amusing though it was).

Presumably the Paravians have heard all the calls by the Fellowship to try and find them but, like Kharadmon on Marak, have deigned, or are unable to, answer the calls.

There is also the possibility that Ciladis agreed to the imprisoning for his own protection. The Paravians may have seen some danger to Ciladis from the Mistwraith so essentially are protecting him until the Mistwraith is resolved? We are assuming that Ciladis was put under sleep spells against his will, I think that a big assumption.

I realize that Arithon is unlikely to do the Fellowship too many favours, but the reverence Davien showed to Arithon regarding Ciladis would have make a significant impact on Arithon.

originally posted by Winter

I would have thought Arithon would have tried to find out where the Paravians were hiding rather than Ciladis.

I don't think the Paravians have left Paravia, if I remember correctly they can't really do so for long. Athera's balance and high vibration are what keep them going (hence the need for the Compact) so I don't see them leaving. Personally, I've been eyeing the Los Lier. We've already seen Corith's significance and I doubt Janny drew it in an island in the middle of the ocean for nothing. And didn't that triad about Ciladis mention they were on an island?

originally posted by Blue

It might just be that the Paravians are still on Athera, but, like the description of the Mistwraith's ability to do so, are a half step ahead in time, so that tantalizing glimpses on occasion, or even other sensations can be had by those sensitive to such nuances, and that is about it. Hence, the images people see during "haunts" on the right night of the year, seeing Paravians performing rituals, such as dances.

Of course, there are areas within the woodlands that even the most fanatical clansman will not tread, as per the clans's agreement with their duties, and perhaps they hide in there.

originally posted by Hunter

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

If we look at the three places where live Paravians have been encountered, this might give a clue…

- Arithon being blessed by an Ilitharis Paravian in Kewar
- Riathan Paravian blessing Elaira in the Sacred Grove of Ath's Adepts
- Arithon entering the King's Grove in Alland and finding the Athlien singers

Makes wonder if Kewar is then Davien's Grove?

It would seem to me that they've retreated into high resonance areas, generally beyond the veil.

The impression I had from the sequence in the King's Grove was that the clans were allowed to present to the Paravians but that the Fellowship had no sanction to enter or interfere there?

Sethvir's earthsense can get the details of what is happening on Dascen Elur, but what capability does he have to see what happens inside of Ath's Adepts Groves and the Royal Groves in the free wilds? Would seem to be major blind spots in his earthsense, given the interior of these groves seem really to be removed somewhat from the continent of Paravia and conceivably beyond reach of the earthsense?

It has been consistently said that the Paravians have left the continent, if the interior of the groves are removed from the continent, this would be consistent…

originally posted by Rich Hawkins

I think that makes sense, they're present on Athera somewhere/somehow sufficiently so to maintain a link but removed enough to be uncontactable unless they so choose.

I can't help but feel that on one level Arithon already understands what needs to be done for the Paravians to return, rededicate the compact so all men can find their place within it and at the same time redress the balance on mankind's behalf for Marak. No small task indeed!

By the way, having just finished my second reading I have a question. Is anyone else looking forward to the next time Arithon and the sisterhood clash? It would seem at times that even members of the F7 are licking their lips!

originally posted by Blue

I can actually picture Sethvir contemplating what it would take to make popcorn to watch the clashes between Arithon and the Koriani. Morriel/Selidie seems to be turning into fantasy's greatest masochist.

originally posted by Ruth

…possibly, Morriel is making a place for herself as fantasy's greatest and one of the most deluded/stubborn masochists around. It's already been shown exactly what good going after Arithon will do for her. Doesn't she have the creativity to think of a better solution?

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

Perhaps she herself doesn't know quite what drives her, and is focusing on the smaller picture. She's trapped by the limitations of her own training, and simply cannot see around what she sees with Arithon involved.

Perhaps Lirenda was punished so severely as Morriel herself has such feelings for Arithon…

ack! now I need brain bleach for that mental picture.

originally posted by DarthJazy

I don't think even brain bleach can get rid of that image from out brains atleast the image of Morriel Lirenda seducing arithon together to try and trap him isn't in our brains.

…you just had to say it, didn't you. Now I'm going to have to try and purge that mental image by finishing up my assignments and thinking of nothing but economics and numbers and ways of explaining numbers. At least I'll get some work done.

The way that the Korani do spells is in some part numbers and patterns and they love to explain how such things work so the image should stick through that :stuck_out_tongue:

Given the sheer amount of frustration economics work can drive me into, no, it won't stick. I get to try to explain irrational behaviour in rational terms…

thats a simple one. Thats called LOVE