Publication date?

originally posted by David Cornelson

Looks like the Kindle edition is set for October 27, but the Hardcover is January 1. The Paperback is 2010, but has no exact date.

I would have ended up with both the Kindle and Hardcover anyway and prefer the Kindle nowadays, so for me, this isn't a terrible thing.

David C.

originally posted by Sleo

I ordered mine from The Book Depository because it delivers worldwide free. It's in Britain and I live in the US. If you're in the US, the date has always been January, 2012. Amazon release dates are notoriously wrong.

I'd order it from The Book Depository if I were you.

originally posted by John Parsons

Order date from amazon.co.uk is still showing end of October.

I just received the Amazon update on the Hardcover as well. The full text was:

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Janny Wurts "Initiate's Trial: First Book of the Sword of the Canon (The Wars of Light and Shadow series)"
Estimated arrival date: January 09 2012 - January 12 2012

originally posted by David Cornelson

If the UK date holds, I'll switch my hardcover order to The Book Depository.

David

originally posted by Trys

I just ordered a copy from the Book Depository. Now we'll see if my credit card company slaps me with a foreign transaction fee (CitiCards do).

originally posted by Joanne Tal

Thankfully Amazon Uk is still the same date of October. Just a question which no doubt I'm asking and making myself look really dumb but I thought this was the penultimate book. I see there are 2 more arcs after this one. Not that I'm complaining obviously.

Janny how do you feel about this coming to an end relief or sadness.

originally posted by mkchiu

I wouldn't rely on the Book Depository's accuracy past next year. Amazon bought them around July 4th, so economies of scale should move the Book Depository onto the Amazon (UK) database relatively quickly.

originally posted by Nikki Hayes

I've been waiting for this book for so long and just wish the publishers and booksellers would get their asses in gear and pin it down to a correct date, I'm not prepared to preorder this early if its not likely to be despatched until January (I use Amazon UK). I'd also prefer the paperback edition as the rest of my collection is in paperback but not sure I'm prepared to wait that long, really don't want a book that long on Kindle as I only have the PC app rather than a proper ebook reader.

I'm getting fed up of these booksellers publishing supposed release dates, ordering the book only to get an email later saying "sorry we now have no idea when we will be able to send your book" :o(

Janny says the UK date is solid at Oct. 27, even Amazon. I used the Book Depository for the free shipping. It's the US delivery that is slow, to get the books over here and in the hands of distributors and bookstores.

Here's something to consider about Book Depository. They don't wait to bill your credit card until they have the book in hand and ready to ship. They bill when you order. I can't say I like this policy.

Joanne Tal, you asked:

Arc IV (Sword of the Canon) consists of
Initiate's Trial
Destiny's Conflict (in progress)

The final arc, and final book, in one volume, will be Song of the Mysteries.

Which means, yes, two more to go, always planned that way. With all the books under contract, and the action exactly where it belongs, (into strong convergency/if not sliding into per-finale with the volume in progress) this is a fixed count to finish.

You are quite right - finishing this masterwork will close a chapter in my life - however, I will be celebrating and not sad! The finish will mark a huge achievement. And - I have LOTS of new ideas I want to get cracking and put out after this one!

On the pub date: I have no control over how stuff gets threaded through the system. Oct 27 is the 'on sale' date in the UK; how the books that are exported trickle down is strictly an internal matter.

I wish things would be streamlined (simultaneous) as in other books with more following - but to have this happen the books would have had to be off press 3 months EARLIER than your on sale date; and that would have made pub date FURTHER OUT…so - folks, I am GRATEFUL! We have a publisher, we have a finished story, and the books are in the system.

For those who wait until the January release: we will restrict SPOILERS to a SPOILER TOPIC, and they will be marked. I would suggest that The Gryphon that Be create this topic a touch EARLY to give those of you who get your updates by e mail time to FIX YOUR PROFILES so you don't automatically get updates from that topic.

MORE: After Initiate's Trial releases, the topic for Destiny's Conflict will be UNLOCKED to allow for speculation threads. DEFINITELY adjust your profiles if you are not reading sharp off the mark, so you don't get blindsided by the new material.

I will be posting a Warning in that topic for Destiny's Conflict shortly, along with an update on the volume as it is in progress.

Yes, Trys, they do charge you at the time of purchase, but now I know it's already paid for. :smiley:

originally posted by Annette

The Book Depository are very fast to post the books out though, I was impressed with their speedy delivery, strange system they have of sending each book of 8 ordered individually though. Australia has a hopeless postal service so the arrivals were spread over a week even though 7 of the books were sent on the same day. The 8th book that was sent the next day actually arrived before most of the others.

Looking forward to finally getting an update on Destiny's Conflict, I liked all those teasing little hints we got in the Initiate's Trial status topic. Janny is probably almost up to chapter 5 by now.

originally posted by Nathan Kemp

Only two weeks to go now!!! I really am getting excited and am going to try to read slowly and enjoy every page, although my usual tendency is to storm through the story at a pace as I simply can not help myself.

I'm looking forward to discussing post-reading thoughts and impressions in a few weeks time.

Happy reading in advance everyone, and thanks to you as always Janny.

OMG! You're right! Only two weeks! Whooppee!

I've created the Iniate's Trial top level Spoiler topic. I've also moved the Stormed Fortress spoiler discussions inside of the Stormed Fortress topic to keep things clean.

originally posted by Hellcat

Two weeks! I still have most of TK and SF to get through on the re-read. Blimey. I need to read more.

originally posted by Maggie

So, I have a question I can't seem to figure out from any of the book buying webpages. Will I be able to buy an epub version of the book on the 27th if I'm in the US, or will I have to wait till the books actually get shipped in January?

Sorry if someone else already answered… But I couldn't find it!

I received an e-mail from the Book Depository this morning regarding Initiate's Trial: "I am pleased to let you know that we have just received notification that your pre-ordered book has been made available by the publisher. This book will be dispatched to you in the next few days."

Maggie,

No official word on the eBook version. We'll just have to wait and see.

Trys