Initiate's Trial Speculation (contains Arc 3 spoilers)

originally posted by Sleo

@Annette and @Mike

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Yes, I had forgotten that bit about the Elder bidding Elaira to give the knife to Arithon (thus forecasting future contact :smiley: ). But yes! Necromancy thy name is Selidie! Thus 'the abomination'.

But WHEN were the drake wars? I missed the 'fifty-six' years ago! Hmmm.

@Paige - that bit about Selidie/Morriel's lack of reluctance about breaking the compact has always puzzled me, unless she's been in control so long she thinks she's invincible or omnipotent and can somehow escape the scourage?

originally posted by Trys

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

My take on Selidie is that she thinks that when she breaks the Compact she will be able to deal with anything that might come to pass. Perhaps she overestimates her own arcane abilities… underestimates the F7… fails to take into account any drakes that might be about… or is just, simply, quite, MAD. :wink:

@Trys, LOL, All of the above?

Sleo, I think it's the last one.

Trys, I'm not gonna argue with that one. :smiley:

originally posted by Mike A

Annette,

Spoiler, Spoiler, Spoiler…

I would certainly enjoy seeing Selidie dealt with by Elaira. I guess my point was mostly that Janny was awfully conspicuous with that non-answer by the eldest, and to me that usually points to misdirection.

originally posted by Annette

Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler

Sleo we all missed the last drake wars since they occurred between Stormed Fortress and Initiate's Trial. The wars were mentioned in Chapter VII Confrontations, while Asandir is confronting the young dragon.

I have lots of thoughts on Koriani and mad Primes, might start a new thread for it though.

originally posted by David Cornelson

Book completed - SPOILERS - my thoughts…

The ending seemed sudden. Not overly complaining, but I would have liked something meatier to end it…possibly Lysaer waking up to see Daliana, a discussion by Sethvir about beating Selidie, Arithon remembering more…next book please!

Even so, I will assimilate the book and re-read more slowly in a month or so, when I get the hardback.

Well done Janny…you've managed to extend the high quality of writing, but also add what would seem to be a completely different story-telling style. I can't put my finger on it, but this book stands apart from the previous books.

Thoughts about the future…

I have for some time now contemplated Lysaer's redemption from the curse and a reunion with Arithon. I don't buy the fellowship's assertion that he's fatally flawed. I look forward to Arithon's coronation, the imprisoned Mystwraith redeemed into Traithe's lost spirit, and the healing of Athera.

I miss the s'Brydion clan and all of the other characters we left behind in the past. It will make reading Stormed Fortress almost sorrowful, knowing nearly all of those characters are gone.

I'm rambling…more book!

David

Yes, David. There is some indefinable difference in this book. I couldn't put my finger on it, either.

I like your vision of the happy ending.

Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler

Probably all the character development as we were introduced to all the new characters and all the changes in the old ones were what made Initiate's Trial seem so different to the past books. Janny's style has changed a bit since she wrote Curse of the Mistwraith all those years ago. Not that there was not plenty of tears, tension, action and amazing feats, but we also got more humour and a more human side to some of the characters.

originally posted by Paige Christie

Hi all - new to the chat area and happy to be here.

I just devoured the book and feel the need to go back and re-read stormed fortress before I do a re-read on Initiate's Trial.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Biggest Revelation: The Beidar arriving on Athera before the Fellowship and having their own 'treaty' with the Paravians. That's got to make things interesting as we go forward.

Glad to have read the short stories prior to this or parts of this book would have had me scratching my head.

This book felt different than the others…I think because less time was spent deep within the POV of characters we already know and more time in an ethereal realm of characters' vision and what they see and overhear through 'sight' and attachment to the mysteries. Also, we got less Arithon's POV, which makes sense because he is not in complete possession of his own POV.

Really glad to see Lysaer had a few revelations in the last 200+ years, sad to know that that was probably only possible due to the horror of Arithon's isolation in captivity. Also glad to see a woman strong enough to understand what needs to be done to try and battle the curse with him. I seriously dig Daliana.

Dakar's maturity is also pretty cool to see. I hope someday he will be able to forgive himself so he can reconnect with Arithon, because we know Arithon's compassion will not allow him to hate Dakar, even though he may never trust him completely again. Looking forward to seeing how that is worked out over the next 2 books as well.

Elaira - She is SO much stronger that she knows. I fear Morriel figuring out just HOW strong Elaira really is…And the separation of Elaira and Arithon is just killing me! Gah! Well, Davien's fountain said 500 years of suffering…We're 300 or so years through that…

Ready for the next book and for someone to finally have the power to deal with Morriel and her madness. I wonder if Janny will work more of her magic and not just 'take her out' but find a way to release her from her insanity and offer grace to her despite what she has done. And I wonder what part Lirenda will play in all this, because I know she's just going to POP if she ever gets loose. Curious to see…

Thoughts?

originally posted by David Gardner

spoilers from me…!

ok, I've finished the book. I did enjoy it, but I do have a few criticisms/whines I want to get off my chest, mainly with the time jump.

Let's just jump a few hundred years into the future where Arithon is captive due to events off-page, with convenient amnesia… Sorcerers are hamstrung, Lysaer has had sufficient time away from the Mistwraith's curse to realise that his movement is a sham and leave, etc, etc.

And yes, while we did see/explore a lot of those scenarios in flashbacks or introspection, I felt like rushing over all those things basically wrote off Traitor's Knot and Stormed Fortress. This book could almost be a direct sequel to Peril's Gate.

Still no sign of Ciladis (I briefly thought it would be him and not Asandir that met the 3 kids in uh, Athili (sp)). Still no redemption for Lirenda. (I think she deserves it). Still no punishment for Morriel. Still no more freedom for Elaira, although at least now she's aware of how to reclaim her inherent right to freedom, she just chooses to stay bound rather than murder her focus crystal.

I was VERY pleased to see it more obviously "spelled out" that Lysaer isn't inherently evil- there have been threads/debates in the past on these boards about how awful etc he is. We've got some great examples of how once he extricated himself from the True Sect and became Lord Mayor that he started correcting a lot of the horrible vices & practices of the Etarrans – changing the headhunters' practices, slavery, etc.

I was very pleased at Dakar's self-realisation towards the end that he'd been released by the Fellowship's service "deliberately".

Anyways, bring on the next book! Hopefully not so long a wait until the next part.

originally posted by Julie

I also would like to see Daliana and Lysaer's relationship evolve in love. And I hope Elaira and Daliana meet up- as Dakar hinted that would be a force to be reckoned with! In my fantasy the mates of both princes are the cause of Koriathan undoing. Remember Sulfen Evend used the Beidar knife to help Lysaer cut the necromacer bindings.

True, Julie, true. Yes, my mind boggles at the thought of those two together!

Spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler.

I doubt the Koriathain have much to fear from Daliana, she has no initiate training, probably has even less knowledge of the mage craft than Sulfen Evend. Now if Lysaer had to put up with Daliana and Elaira he would be in trouble, he would probably end up begging the Paravians to come and take him. Just Daliana and Dakar are trouble enough, I got a chuckle out of Lysaer's comment when Dakar attempted to reason with him.

"My trials won’t stand your mage-sighted conscience stumbling about underfoot."

Dakar is braver, smarter, a bit more in control, but not brave enough to face Arithon's reaction when he remembers what happened, rather he would face being fried by Lysaer. If Dakar manages to avoid being fried, or Lysaer finding a less fatal way to be rid of him, maybe Dakar will finally gain a bit if finesse, some of Lysaer's flair might rub of on him.

originally posted by Julie

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Daliana has the S'Gannley gift in full measure. She will learn to use her talent in time. So while the Koriani may not have to worry about comming up against any arcane prowess, they can be checked through her tenacity and loyalty to Lysaer. Remmeber at the end of Traitor's Knot Selidie wants Sulfen Evend dead because of his passionate protection of Lysaer's free will which thwarted her plans.

Also the F7 seem to be much more hands on with her as opposed to what we've seen with other cathdeins.
Arithon will ultimately forgive Dakar- its in his nature. Dakar's fear may be more about revisiting his own guilt and self loathing despite how far he has matured.

(Message edited by admin on November 04, 2011)

originally posted by Elspeth Parris

Just finished IT. I hoped that in the course of it I'd come to understand the big gap from Stormed Fortress. Maybe there would be flashbacks to explain e.g. why Lysaer abandoned the religion based on his power of light, how Arithon and indeed Talia came to be in Koriathain hands etc. But no, got to the end and the events of the gap have been mentioned bittily but nothing to clarify. it leaves me feeling that i've missed a book but I went and checked and SF really was the previous book. So what's going on?

Elspeth,

You just read the first half of the fourth arc. There's a second half that Janny is currently writing.

As to why Lysaer abandoned the religion. I would conjecture that events at Alestron where Arithon's use of Alithiel shook Lysaer a bit loose from the Curse and that is likely the significant event that resulted in his walking away from the religion.

As to Teylia joining the sisterhood:

quote:

(Selidie speaking) ‘We demanded custody of the child to vouchsafe your Fellowship’s intent,’ she accosted the Sorcerer. ‘What did you plant by your endless deceit but a serpent into our midst?’

Asandir sighed. ‘Your accusation carries no substance. Or did you brush off Sethvir’s statement when you struck your vile contract and demanded a hostage of us, back at Althain Tower? Our Fellowship has never endorsed, or permitted, the parting of child and mother! Teylia chose to dedicate to your order. She declared her destiny with her first words, long before that unkind fate was asked of her.’

originally posted by Jeffrey L Watson

FYI, I had inadvertently made this topic a public topic which exposes it to 'bot posting. I've changed it to private posting which just requires creating a user account.