Initiate's Trial: Sneak Peak number four

originally posted by Clansman

Bob:

Great to have such a contributor of profundity!

By the way, it is "ATHERA", not "ALTHERA". Sorry about that, but I have a terrible tendency to be pedantic.

I'm working on it, but my wife says I'm not making much progress. Then, you come to chat areas like this, where there are a lot more of us (eh, Grim/Mark)?

originally posted by Trys

PEDANTS UNITE!! <grin>

I'm one but I'm currently in remission… ::BIG GRIN::

Hi Bob -

Thanks for your huge vote of confidence - I am not alone in hoping this re-launch makes a difference - and a big enough one at that to have that art book!

I hope you will have wondrous fun with the short stories, when they arrive - I know they've raised a few crows of astonishment.

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Welcome from me too, Bob. And since all Wurts fans approach "Seshkrozchiel" with no small trepidation when it comes to spelling, I think we can relax pedantic posture a little! The Gryphon (Trys) I've not figured out yet, but Clanny loosens pendantic hold if you sing him a good drinking song…:wink:

Seriously, do get the short stories, though. Enlightening, indeed!

Ach, Mark. You know my weakness too well!

Oh, I love to have a beer with Duncan,
da dum da da dum dum dee…

With the spring comes not only the flowers and the birds, but also the fine pilseners and blonde ales. Particularly good to enjoy with a friend, and some song, in the sunshine on a lawn patio of a good pub, or a back yard.

Blonde ales appreciated here, as well. Don't forget the mai boks and the white ales, too. Maybe Dakar will turn into a beer connoisseur for Initiate's Trial…

*lights come up on a scene in a tavern in Havish, where we find our friend the prophet immersed to his chin in suds…*

"Fatemaster forfend! Serve me any more of this pilfered Etarran swill they're calling pale ale and I'll be a week in the privy…"

*fades, only to resurface in the Captain's Quarters on Khetienne (liberties abound, it seems!)…*

Arithon: "Ale? But what of the Shandian reds in the hold?"

Dakar: "Finished that 40 leagues back, I did. There's a heady Vastmark Porter still untapped…"

Porter from Vastmark??? All they can grow there is stone and goats!

I would have thought Porters would be more likely to come from Fallowmere or Camris. Even Lanshire.

Actually, Cheivalt, past any question…:smiley:

I knew there was a reason I dumped the Prophet in Havish for the first "scene" above…:wink:

So the best malt barley and hops are to be found there, then, and not the Araethurian grasslands? At least I remembered it couldn't be from Vhalzein (unless we wanted the brew to taste like lacquered furniture)…

If you find the scene, it's mentioned that Cheivalt is famous for farmland and a barley harvest. Araethura is not, anywhere, under cultivation. It has grazing only - and the reason is in the story, someplace. So I'm not embroidering to stymie you - Vastmark past question can't grow crops.

Ah, those tricky goatherders. Making that trading compact with Cheivalt, then marketing fine Cheivalt craft brews under their own Vastmark label…what's the world coming to? :wink:

*Notes the Gryphon's talon clicking*

Er, right. Will any of this brewing hubbub find it's way into Initiate's Trial…wink…time for another teaser…wink

So far, the story hasn't taken a turn through brewing country - but - since you've planted the seed - IF a scene in a brewery turns up…you'll know who to blame. Be careful, you just may get your wishes…I haven't done a scene at a brewers' - so - that could be an intriguing backdrop for some bit of development or other.

I hate HATE talking heads…so little bits like the scene where Asandir is choosing an heir has Feithan brain-tanning deer hides…a brewers' might ferment some interesting byplay…you never know.

If this happens, lookout! You'll get an acknowledgment…!!

Iyat Pale Ale, anyone? :wink:

*Bows*

If such a passage does come into being, a humorous scene crafted to your usual excellent standards is all the acknowledgment I'd need, Good Talespinner. If it should appear, however, I think I speak for the others here when I say that we're (and I do mean we; this is a collaborative thing, after all) happy to give back freely after so many years of great stories.

Hear, hear!!! I agree with Mark. I would hope, somehow, that Dakar is involved, as I would find it hard to believe that he had completely eschewed barley sandwiches, despite his more recent maturity.

And Mark: An I.P.A., really! Good timing, with spring well underway. I should send you a case of Alexander Keith's. For anyone not in the know, that is an India Pale Ale.

originally posted by Antonija Letilovic

Would you look at that Bob and I are in the same boat! A whole series a big fat wait then tears!

Not after being drawn to Athera by the latest, strayed ripple of an adult dragon's entrancing discovery
– Sezhkrozchiel, who wielded a bargain with Davien, and who yet had not tired of the novelty.

This one itsy bit has chilled me to the bone "entrancing discovery" "novelty" did they swap bodies? It's the only thing I can think of that would entrance a drake!

No tears here allowed here…

*Hands Antonija a handkerchief*

Snippet seekers only, please! :wink:

originally posted by Angela Bawden

I really like how you, Janny Wurts, actually respond to posts in your "official website". So few authors do.
And here's a marketing scheme proposition - if you ever get your books translated into another language that is vastly different from English (ie, not German or Latin based), perhaps you could authorize two versions: One that is as true to your original as possible, and another that pars down the descriptions to make the books into skinnier volumes. I suggest this after living in Japan for a year and teaching English there. From personal experience, they want good sci-fi/fantasy books to read, but when the books are fat, they get very intimidated and won't even consider reading them.
I know these books are like your children and asking you to change them is next to travesty…but from a marketing point of view I think I'm right. Oh, and if you can get your English versions of books over there into their bookstores, English speakers get DESPERATE for new English books!! I even found myself buying manga of Dragon Ball. Argh! I'm embarrassed to admit it, but it's true. hehe.