Initiate's Trial: Sneak Peak number four

originally posted by Devena Haggis

Wow…Haven't checked in here for ages…What a wonderful surprise…More things to think about…Thank you Janny

Welcome Devena Haggis and Chirogeoff!

originally posted by motley

I just love the idea of a dragon giving Asandir a poke… *rotflol*

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

I kind of see Asandir as Janny's version of James Brown, at least as far as "the hardest working man in, er, sorcerer business" is concerned. I guess he does come across a little haughty to adversaries and those not abiding by Paravian Law, but hey, what would you expect? Tea and crumpets?

Consequentially, Asandir doesn't need any more poking (he's been scorched, wrung through the bodiless washboard, and stretched to capacity more than anyone else in this series except Arithon and possibly Sethvir, although Sethvir's stretchings were probably to be expected when he assumed his role as Warden of Althain). That having been said, Motley, I sheepishly have to agree with you that the idea of a young dragon bouncing Asandir around like a cat toy would probably *looks both ways to make sure no one else is listening* amuse me to no end, too! :wink:

Speaking of no one else listening, where is everybody? Don't tell me I have to come up with another word game…limited cranial capacity here, you know!

originally posted by Trys

Mark,

I believe that the expectability of 'stretchings' by the 7 was agreed to long before Sethvir became Warden of Althain. It likely occurred when reality changed and they came to Athera and accepted being bound to their task by the drakes. Just my opinion… I could be wrong.

I think a 'battle' between Asandir and a young dragon would take totally unexpected turns. 'Bouncing' would acquire a whole new meaning. :wink:

Trys

I expect you're right, Trys, although the 7 probably agreed to those stretchings under the premise that they would in fact be 7, and not 5.5 at best (Ciladis out of the picture, Traithe handicapped). Given earth-sight, Sethvir would in turn seem more likely to have his resources stretched than the rest, is all.

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

OMG. I really don't know what to say. Thanks. That was… amazing.

I can't wait for the book to come out. I'll be letting this mind boggle me all day now… maybe all week.

Has anyone wondered if maybe Asandir isn't training the dragon? I was re-reading this and the passage doesn't actually say he's training it. In fact, Janny calls it an "altercation." Maybe this is more like damage control.

Also, I think Asandir is capable of killing the dragon. Janny wrote, "this scaled invader smoked with aggression, and failed to regard the Fellowship Sorcerer as threatening.

A mistake Asandir preferred to disarm, if he could, without crippling damage or lethal consequence."

I know this last sentence could be read as the dragon doing crippling damage to Asandir, but I think it's actually talking about the harm Asandir could do to the dragon. Janny clearly states that the dragon doesn't understand the full use of its powers. Also, since it says the dragon's view of Asandir is "a mistake Asandir preferred to disarm" I think that Asandir is a threat.

Isn't it also interesting that the dragon is termed an "invader?"

Just food for thought to get the discussion going.

originally posted by Clansman

Kirsten, that was my take also, that Asandir posed a danger to the young dragon, not the other way around. I read it that Asandir was gently trying to coax it to a different course of action, in order to avoid "lethal consequences" for the dragon, not himself.

Oh, sorry to repeat something you'd already said.

originally posted by Auna

Very cool snippet… drake wars huh… wow lot going on! Can't wait to get my hands on this book! :wink:

Kirsten, no problem, as I never said it ;)! I was just agreeing with you, as I hadn't commented on that above. :smiley:

Lawyers…

(Just kidding, Clanny. Hope all is well!)

But what about this "training" of the dragon, folks? We've not seen reference to that as a responsibility of the 7 previously. I recognize that Asandir is also preserving (or attempting to, anyway; our good Talespinner has of course left us hanging, as was only to be expected) the reality around Penstair…

originally posted by motley

Maybe they can do something with wraiths…

originally posted by Lauren Willis

I haven't checked into the website in ages, but I finally got my mass market sized Stormed Fortress and freaked when it said it was the last for the series. Knowing Janny's books I hoped it meant the Alliance of Light set and I am thrilled my hunch was right. I am so excited to go through all these snippets properly once I have devoured Stormed Fortress! I didn't even realise the boards were here.

originally posted by Robert B Finegold, MD

Just a note of appreciation, Ms Wurts.
Ever since I read and greatly enjoyed your Empire trilogy with Raymond Feist, I've collected your Mistwraith series in hardcover (except for Stormed Fortress, which I cold only find as a trade market PB from amazonUK) since 1993. But I withheld from reading them. Since I read SF "concludes" the "The Wars of Light and Shadow", I finally took them off the shelf where they have set pristine for years and read all seven heavy volumes over the last few months.
They were very much worth the wait.
Truly epic and character driven, which tend to be what I find most satisfying in a fantasy novel.
I noted shared fantasy elements with other works (Tolkeinesque majesty of elder races, dragons, Amber-like patterns that provide transport, Darkovan crystal matrixes to focus will/cast spells, spellsinger, swords of power, female magical orders, etc) but all represented in fresh and novel ways. And the hints of science fiction regarding the origins of the Fellowship sorcerers and the destroyed worlds of men was a nice touch.
Quite enthralling.
Time well spent.
Of course, I just discovered that "Stormed Fortress" is NOT the completion of your epic series. And having been so deeply enmeshed in Althera (I could draw your map from memory!), I will be unable to repeat my 16 year restraint from when I first bought "The Curse of the Mistwraith". Instead I will devour each new volume, beginning with "Initiate's Trial", as soon as made available. >smile<

Respectfully,
Bob

Bob:

Your self-control awes me. Really, especially for someone who obviously loves excellent books.

Go look at the bibliography, and get your hands on the short stories "Child of Prophecy", "Sundering Star" and "Reins of Destiny". Then your reading will be complete, at least as complete as it can be.

Welcome to the board!:smiley:

Hi Lauren Willis - glad to say you'll be happy, there are three more volumes to finish to reach the conclusion of the series.

Welcome Here Robert B. Feingold, MD!
And wow, thanks for the very nice words, and most of all for the fact you're not sorry you plunged now. The series certainly will do best if people realize I try very hard to make each book, and each story arc deliver.

The good news for you is the last three volumes are in fact under contract - let's hope very much the re-release gains new readers so we can win back the hardback. Picture me jumping for joy if that happens.

The three short stories Clansman mentions cover various elements of the back history, and they are published in various anthologies. If you want a steer, let me know - wikipedia may list them already, for all I know. (I have seen Wiki get snarky if involved people like authors directly correct their own stuff, but the readers are usually very accurate).

originally posted by Trys

Here's the link to the page on Janny's website that lists the short stories: https://paravia.com/JannyWurts/website/Books/ShortStories/ShortStories.html. There is also the Paravia Wiki as a resource: wiki.paravia.com.

Trys

originally posted by Robert B Finegold, MD

Dear Clansman and Trys,
Thanks for the welcome.
…And for telling me of three short stories of Althera of which I had no knowledge. I just ordered the three collections in which they are contained. Amazon.com is a wonderful thing.

And Ms Wurts,
Thank you for your notice. And your wonderful news. It is obvious your publisher recognizes the quality of your work compared to other fantasy novels that have flooded the market, warranting the re-releases. I hope, therefore, there is promotional marketing planned in accompaniment.

I, too, would love your new works to have hardcover conditions. I am, admittedly, a bit persnikety with the books in my collection. It was a challenge to read a novel of "Stormed Fortress"' girth as a trade paperback without creasing the spine or blunting the corners (I was successful, though >smile< ).

I am also an admirer of your artwork. It has been fun visiting this site and finding your Altheran paintings and sketches. Any chance of a collection of this art someday a la "Pictures by Tolkien"? I will add it is a shame Karen Wynn Fonstad is no longer doing fantasy atlases (as she did for Middle-Earth, McCafferey's Pern, and Donaldson's The Land), for Althera would be a fine addition.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome and the good news that we have at least three more adventures in Althera to look forward to.

Respectfully,
Bob