Destiny's Conflict: Speculation (contains Initiate's Trial spoilers)

originally posted by Annette

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

You missed the hints Sleo? Ath's adept would not lie to try to change Lysaer's decisions. And Jieret's Sight is pretty trustworthy. The Biedar do not seem sure Arithon's strength will last the course of his fate, but Davien seems quiet sure Arithon will succeed. He needs a live Arithon to solve his problem. And the Black Rose Prophecy did indicate Davien would rejoin the fellowship. Also the very start of the series, the prologue in Curse of the Mistwraith indicated Arithon was around after the third age, they might have forgot some things by the seventh age, but they remembered Arithon. If the execution was the end of him they would not have remembered him so far in the future.

Now we have no proof when this is going to happen, could be either Destiny's Conflict, or Song of the Mysteries. But I lean towards it being in the next book. There could be a big jump in time between arcs, and Janny is hopefully going to solve at least a few conflicts before getting to the mysteries.

originally posted by Trys

It sounds like you guys are hinting at a discorporate Arithon. Elaira will not be happy if that happens.

originally posted by J Tal

SPOILER SPOILER

Trys I was hinting towards a very dead as a door nail Arithon. :frowning_face: Discorporate would be better than dead for us readers kind of but yes poor Elaira. Mind you she has done very well without him for the last 250 years.

originally posted by Sleo

NO NO NO! I refuse to believe it! And if he dies I will stop reading!

And, Trys, you're right. Elaira will not be happy about a discorporate Arithon.

Someone's ALWAYS predicting Arithon's death. I suppose he will die one day, all of us do, but not until many things are resolved – ie. return of the Paravians? Return of Ciladis? Demise of Selidie/Morriel? Fulfilment of Black Rose Prophecy in some way shape or form? Healing of Traithe? Defusing of Mistwraith? I could go on and on. I refuse to believe Arithon's death has anything to do with any of that.

No, Arithon's heart's desire definitely involved having a physical body to enjoy life with Elaira, and raise their family of gifted children. Although I suppose having a physical body is not necessary to always continue that love. Besides I do not think Arithon could survive that long yet as a discorporate spirit, at least not a free one. Although his spirit tends to wander off at times, he has not yet managed to lose his body. And although Arithon had a transcendent initiation in Kewar, and tends to master most abilities, I am not sure he is ready for transcendent mastery. I doubt Davien wants Arithon to have any drakish entanglements, and setting up Kewar and his version of the fountain of youth seems to indicate he expects Arithon to stay mortal for a while. So I have no idea how that miracle is going to come about. Janny seems to have been a bit secretive about that.

originally posted by Clansman

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER (I guess)
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Okay, just who started this red herring discussion about Arthon's death? You people are filling my inbox with inanities! :smiley:

There are two big, fat books left people! Despite all of Janny's characteristic twists and turns and plot flips that leave us gobsmacked on a regular basis, the one thing she won't do is kill off the two main characters before the story is finished. In Song of the Mysteries, I will be truly fearful for our dear Arithon, and even the much-maligned Lysaer (I still believe that he will somehow be redeemed, and Initiate's Trial has bolstered that belief), but I think we are good at least until the last book. The foundation is laid for Destiny's Conflict. A whole lot of stuff be comin' our way, says this Clansman!

The last book is at least three years away, with DC in between. So hold on with the much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and put away your sack cloth and ashes, 'cause our Master Bard ain't done yet.

I have eaten crow before, but I throw this gauntlet down with confidence. Anyone care to lay a wager? A gentleman's (and lady's) wager of course, in the spirit of fun, for the simple rights of saying "I was right, and you were wrong".

I'm with you, Clansman!

I am willing to lay a wager in the spirit of fun, Arithon manages to get executed by sword and fire before the story ends. And I still have another book to go before losing my first bet, Kerelie might yet win it for me. :smiley:

I will be happy if Janny manages to get Destiny's Conflict done within three years, I am not expecting to see it before 2013. Although some more updates on it's progress would add some fun to the waiting.

And if Lysaer manages to loosen the True Sects grip on Tysan, I think Efflin and Kerelie should make a fresh start and move down to Shand when their year of service is up. Shand, especially Innish always seemed a nicer place to live than some of the more volatile, bloodthirsty, or religiously fanatical places we see in the books. And it would be nice to see how Innish is going, did any trace of Arithon's war of laughter against the Light survive?

And Kerelie would have a better chance at romance with a certain Masterbard if she does not have to worry about the True Sect wrecking the place looking for any unusual house guests. :wink:

Annette, Kerelie is not going to have a romance with Arithon. If you recall, she hates strangers and never really warmed up to him. Arithon told Tarens what happened to her. I think she'd bore him to death! And I'll bet we've seen the last of her.

Not sure but I think I started goin on about Arithon's death, however I was thinking it could happen in the last book not the next one. I am hoping I am so far off the mark though.

Just wondered if anyone will say what has been your favourite book out of the series if you have one?

I am sort of expecting Arithon to die in the last book as well if Janny goes where I am thinking she will with these mysteries. But that would be a completely different experience, and Arithon would not quite be the same physical being as we had known, and we would know he was going to die before Janny got to it.

Not that we have not had plenty of advance warning with the execution, since we first heard of it in Fugitive Prince. Janny even gave us a preview of what it might be like with Fionn's experience, although Arithon's is likely to be a lot worse. The chance of s'Ilessid breaking his spirit does not bode well. There was also several hints Lysaer's crowning strike would not happen till he had the sworn loyalty of every city, or as the adept put it, every mortal enclave on the continent had fallen as victim to his cause. The True Sect already started on Havish, and it seems Selidie Prime is likely to be planning another upset to keep the Fellowship busy after the Summer solstice, what better distraction than trying to save Havish and it's new Queen. Selidie Prime seems to have also laid a trap for Elaira in Deal, so Havish seems set to still get plenty of attention in Destiny's Conflict.

I am not sure I could really name a favourite of the books so far, I liked them all so much, they were all equally as good.

(Message edited by admin on November 17, 2011)

Just a reminder that the spoiler rules apply to this topic and you should be adding spoilers to the start of your posts, especially if you're mentioning character names in the first sentence or possible future events.

Otherwise we're going to have an unhappy gryphon if he has to go back and keep adding them for you :smiley:

originally posted by Julie

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Annette:
thank you for correcting me about the Raven's name- yes Prophecy… not quite destiny!

Arithon (and Lysaer) will die- their natural lives were extended by Davien's fountain BUT neither is immortal. Also I do not think Arithon ever expressed a desire to raise a family of gifted children. He told Jieret that if he ever had children he wanted them raised, loved by their mother and protected by him.
His relationship with Elaira is truly holistic- physical, spiritual, and emotional- it will continue after the physical body is gone. I think she would be the one who wants a child. He does not want to burdon them with the trials of kingship.

In Kewar, once Arithon finished the trial of conscience and reached the Chamber of Midway, the first room Arithon sent his probe into showed his hearts desire. This is what Davien was referring to later when he was talking to Dakar. Arithon never told Davien the wish of his heart, Kewar showed it. Davien believes these tempering experiences will allow Arithon to have that life with Elaira.

Also on immortality, do not be so sure about Arithon, there have been hints he is destined to be more than what he is currently. He might currently be mortal, but might not always be so. Janny has dropped a few hints. But even as a mortal Arithon is going to have a very, very long life if he proves Davien right. As Davien said, he expects Arithon to live out his life, but once the dust has settled and Arithon accepts his destiny, he can always go back through the Westgate for another drink from the fountain. His natural life could be extended for well over 500 years.

Arithon loves children as much as Elaira, but he would never burden any child of his with kingship. Against the odds Arithon has already achieved his hearts desire several times, he will find a way to have his life with Elaira. And their children would be raised in love, protected and free from royal obligations. We will just have to wait and see how he manages that miracle.

SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS

Wasn't the only reason Arithon did not want children was because of what happened to Fionn. He may well have children who survive and their free will want to be Kings or Queens. Arithon never wanted it because of what it did to his family. I think anyway.

Arithon had an extreme aversion to kingship before he even set foot on Athera. So no it is nothing to do with what happened to Fionn. At Ithamon when they were battling the Mistwraith Arithon said he would die before giving the Fellowship even one chance of getting a heir. Arithon was willing to sacrifice himself, he was not willing to allow any of his children to suffer such a fate. Teylia's life path was claimed by the Biedar before she was even born, so Arithon's wishes were not compromised. And if the Biedar had not saved the day, Arithon would have died so still he would have stuck to his word.

spoiler spoiler spoiler

He was only 18 there abouts when he told the fellowship that he was not going to give them a heir though. What I meant about Fionn was the reason why he didn't want children not about being King, ss Fionn was hunted down he could see what would become of his children under Lysaers cursed state. However if Lysaer gains redemption, the curse is lifted the Parivains (sorry spelt wrong) return and peace ensues who is to say what will happen (if he survives) he is after all about 270 years old people changed their mind :smiley:

originally posted by Julie

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler

As a parent and grandparent I would imagine Arithon and Elaira would want a lot of time together before children come on the scene (gifted or not)!!!

LOL