Congrats on the French Translation and Publication

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Learned from another Chrons member (might be one here, too, for all I know!) that WoLaS has been translated into French and will be in book stores over there next month, apparently. Congrats, Janny!

Out of curiousity, Tolkien revealed that he was disappointed with several of the original translations of his work. Now, he was a philologist, of course, and so bound to be particular with languages he knew. How does one go about the business of "quality control" when one's work is translated into a truly "foreign" language (ie, one you don't speak!)?

Hi Mark -

How cool! I'd asked the publisher to flag the date, so we could put it up on the website - it's coming soon, then!!!

To answer your question - all contracts with foreign translation give the author the right to read them - seldom exercised! - my French is not that good, and my German, Polish, Hungarian, Japanese, Russian, etc - nonexistent!

The only way I will know is if someone fluent in both languages actually reads the text. Maria Aborg, who used to visit here (still lurks?) once kindly reported back to me that the German translation of Mistwraith was quite nicely accurate. For the rest, I have no idea…

I can say with firsthand enthusiasm that the French Publisher, Bragalonne, is very serious about their efforts with Light and Shadows. They've already done a superb job with the three Empire collaborations, and in the case of Vol I, Curse of the Mistwraith, their translator took her time to contact me with specific questions about the text and how to spell/translate/handle? Atheran names for French readers - always a great sign the integrity of the works matters very much to the people involved with it.

I'd of course be delighted to have any feedback from French speaking readers, themselves.

originally posted by Trys

I found the site for Bragelonne (http://www.bragelonne.fr) and they have an author page for Janny (http://www.bragelonne.fr/auteurs.php?id_auteur=115) but no information beyond a photo. (I now have cover images for all three Empire books in French!)

I did a search on amazon.fr (French site) and found: Les guerres de l'ombre et de la lumiere, Tome 1 : La brume des spectres (Broch©) which loosely translates as "The wars of the shadow and light, Volume 1, The ghost mist (Aligned)". The page is located at: http://www.amazon.fr/guerres-lombre-lumi%C3%A8re-brume-spectres/dp/2352942160/re f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221164688&sr=1-1

Release date of September 20, 2008… no cover image there… yet.

Ah, apologies, Janny (and Trys), if I spoiled an announcement or some such. I've this naive idea that one of the marks of a good work of literature is that it's worthy of translation. Not universally true, of course, but I kind of like the sentiment, and so cling to it…

Mark - spoiled WHAT??? I have always welcomed hearing news as spotted - I'd miss quite a lot without the help of extra eyes. So, thank you! and your question was quite legitimate, I think.

No apologies needed, for my part…

Mark,

I agree with Janny and a hearty thank you from me for the news as I was able to find the website for the French publisher and update some images on Janny's website.

If anyone sees a cover for the French edition of CotM please give me a heads up here.

Trys

originally posted by Clansman

Mark, I guess you beat me to the punch. I spotted that post too.

There is actually quite a bit of activity on the Chrons about Janny lately. Very pleasing.

Indeed. Not only that, it's coming from people OTHER than the Horsemen. And I was just in the right place at the right time, or your vigilance would have posted, no doubt my good sir!

*Raises mug*

To the Wurts Epoch-alypse!

*Drains mug*

Proper! :wink:

originally posted by Clansman

I raise my own!

*Raises his TANKARD!*

THE WURTS EPOCH-ALYPSE!!

*Drains tankard*

Proper, indeed! :wink:

I just saw the French edition's cover art for Vol. I and it is GORGEOUS!!

The cover is now available on the website. Click here and then click the British cover to see the French (and other editions) or click here.

originally posted by Hunter

Very nice!

I used Babelfish to translate the title - to "Fog the spectra"!

Any Quebec residents here who know French who can give the proper translations?

originally posted by Wayne

Also Very nice…

Hmm $46.29 total with shipping to US. May hold off for a while until I learn French. :smiley:

Wayne

That IS a cool cover…congrats again, Janny!

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

Wow… the French addition looks wonderful.

Any French speakers - I'm curious to know how the translation actually read…

originally posted by Jay_Jay

As Trys said above, it translates as "The Ghost Mist (or fog)"

I have copies! And they are just beautiful!