Chapters Bookstore

originally posted by Trys

Has anyone here found the book in a Chapter bookstore in Canada? If so, which one?

originally posted by Hunter

I'm in Toronto right now… was looking, the sci/fi book store here is Bakka Phoenix but they've sold out…

Why didn't they reorder? Just curious…the trade edition of Hell's Chasm is starting to ship out to bookstores, by the way. It should be appearing momentarily, too.

I think they're trying to re-order…

Nice people at Bakka Phoenix. I got a signed copy of Julie Czerneda's Migration through them.

originally posted by Sandtiger

Yup, and that's where I got my copy of Traitor's Knot. They had a bunch when I was there. It's good to know they sold out, and my guess would be that they are re-ordering. They are very good about things like that.

They have all sorts of wonderful events, too.

Sandtiger

originally posted by Lekx

I have not seen it at any Chapters or Indigo store in Toronto. I ended up ordering it from Indigo here in Toronto after repeatedly going in both there and at 2 Chapters locations, and hitting the "Yes" button on their computer in response to it's query that says "Help us keep our store richly stocked. If this item was in stock, would you have bought it here today?"

- Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. I've been in correspondence with someone who tells me that Chapters says they can't get the book but the Chapters website says it ships in 24 hours. So either we're dealing with lazy clerks or the store has serious internal distribution problems.

I'm going up to Chapters Indigo in Toronto this afternoon. Guess I'd better call… :smiley:

I've never seen it at Chapters/Indigo. (Basically two versions of the same store.)I've asked a time or two (Before I bought it at Bakka), but they couldn't even tell me if they were *going* to get it in.

I just checked availability in Toronto, and no stores seem to have it. (As an FYI, you can check availability in any city in Canada via their website). Even World's Biggest doesn't have it - which is a bit surprising.

It's interesting that their website says it's eligible for same day shipping in Toronto, but they don't have it in stores.

Sandtiger

Hmm… interesting… I'm driving to Detroit on Sunday so that may be more likely… :smiley:

I have information yesterday that says that a shipment for the trade paperback of TO RIDE HELL'S CHASM was ordered for Indigo in Canada. Distribution to Canada via Diamond is getting worked out NOW - all of your interest and inquires to GET these titles into these shops counts more than you may ever know.

If the initial order going to Indigo does well, of course, they will do more in the future…YES!

If you see Hell's Chasm in this shop, then, it follows they ought to be able to get TK, too…

originally posted by Lekx

I recieved the copy I ordered from Indigo at the downtown Eaton's Centre within 48 hrs, so they are able to get it somehow, but I was told they were not stocking it at the time. I go in periodically and ask, and vote on their system to put the pressure on, but to date I haven't seen it. My last check was last Friday.
- Dave

Just checked the Indigo stores in Toronto… no one has it - it was shown as only having been there in Nov 2004 which was the original date.

Have had to get Borders Express @ the Ren Cen in Detroit to order it in, they had difficulty as well. Hopefully it will arrive before I fly out…

I've recommended Traitor's Knot to several people at the Indigo on Bloor and the Chapters in Windsor.

You'd think they'd listen to recommendations, but I have yet to actually see them do so.

I'll mention TRHC as well. I'd order it, but I already have the hardcover version.

Sandtiger

originally posted by Annettevk

Hello all. I went to British Columbia (Kelowna specifically) last week, when I was home for my vacation and I looked in Chapters for TK and it was not on the shelf. But it is funny about World's Biggest in Toronto since that is where I picked up PG when that book first came out. I am surprised they are not stocking TK yet. I am not surprised at Bakka though, they usually get scifi/fantasy books about a week or so ahead of any of the other bookstores in the Toronto area.

originally posted by Beth Caudill

So once again I went to B&N looking for TK and still no copy. So once again I went and asked about when they were getting a delivery. They aren't getting any. Apparently the 'home office' has decided not to carry TK. I was really bumbed because I'm not sure when I'm going to get to read it. The library doesn't have it yet either. I have put in a request for it, but those take forever to go through.

But on the plus side, they had tons of the TRHC books in Trade paperback. So I did get a small Janny fix.

Beth - please say which B&N this is - what store, in what location. They CAN order this book for you, and if they say they can't, this CAN be remedied.

Meisha Merlin will contact the National Buyer for this chain, and the turnabout will be instant.

I will forward which store to them, if in fact they refuse to order this book into the store for you. You would be doing me, and the publisher, and other fans a favor as glitches in distribution will be ironed out faster where they are brought to notice.

Thanks for your caring.

originally posted by Beth Caudill

Janny

I should mention one thing, I'm not interested in actually buying the hardback. Which is why I haven't placed an order. They just aren't getting any in the store. I only buy paperbacks not the hardcovers. But usually they have copies in the store which you can sit and read instore. That is why I was surprised that they weren't getting any copies at all, but they would order me a copy if I was going to buy it.

The store is Barnes and Noble in Cary, NC. They would have ordered it for me to buy but won't order it if I'm not buying. I was mainly surprised that they weren't getting any copies for the shelves. Particularly with the number of copies of To Ride Hell's Chasm they had.

Beth

General Note to readers and fans:

There is NO PLANNED massmarket paperback in the USA for To Ride Hell's Chasm or Traitor's Knot. Only hardbound and trade paperback editions will be created by Meisha Merlin.

If this B&N store would order a copy for any reader wanting to buy, then the system is functioning properly.