You Begged for it: Stormed Fortress Sneak Peek

originally posted by HJ

Wow, what a fascinating fact, Janny. How ashamed I am of myself, being a member of an Island Nation and knowing so little about the sea. I think that comes from living in the Midlands, as far from the sea as you can get in our country. The nearest bit of coast is maybe 70 miles - which doesn't sound much but when your country is as small and traffic infested as ours, reaching the coast presents problems.

Had a fabulous day today, having a drive out (it was a national holiday here today) enjoying May in our neck of the woods. It really is incredible - I don't mean to digress but does anyone else in the world experience that sublime "MAY" feeling that we have in UK? You can smell "the May" here right now and it is my favourite month of the year. Absolutely beautiful. Anyway, must stop going on - I know I'm getting off topic.

So, back onto topic, I can hardly wait to read SF, what a buzz. Janny, we're all willing you on with your wonderful work. We'll all be here waiting when it's done.

LOVE coming on this board, by the way, and LOVE talking to all you people who've become so familiar. You all feel like friends.

x x x

Helen Bennett aka HJ

originally posted by Blue

Which island nation do you live in, HJ?

originally posted by HJ

England… Britain. :smiley:

One other thing to bring to your attention, HJ, is that you have the same name as my adopted grandma! Of course, she goes by Louise (her middle name) because for some reason she dislikes Helen. I find that strange, because I love the name.

HJ - I have driven all over your country, coast to coast, east west, north south, AND - I would NEVER drive in your major towns! Just picking up a rental car in Manchester about did us in! Oh, and don't ASK about us doing loop de loops in a few of the Welsh towns, or getting messed up in Chester. Anything more than that, I couldn't handle!

This planet is mostly ocean, and very few people get far enough from shore, ever, to appreciate that. It's an amazing world out there.

And yes - May - something about that invigorating moment when everything alive seems to explode. (if you live in the Northern Hemisphere…)

originally posted by Derek Coventry

HJ,
I'm with you in enjoying May blossom and I'm partial to nibbling fresh Hawthorn leaves, though you have to be careful to avoid the larva of the Browntail moth which has irritating hair.
Thanks Janny, I'll look up that book; I've spent most of my life working on boats of one type or another and still find myself aiding yachtsmen in various oceans with fault finding advice over the telephone regularly.

originally posted by Jo

Now you may all think I am mental, I love the romantic side of reading about sailing and I love the ocean fighting in some of the books I have read, love watiching the films with the Armada style ships etc but I hate being on a ship well I say more like ferries and do you know why - sharks. I am so scared of the ship sinking and being eaten by sharks. I know I am insane but even when I fly I hate going over the ocean for the same reason obviosuly thinking of crashing. I am completely irrational. I was really scared when I flew over Florida and the captain mentiond swamps and crocodiles. All I could think of was the plane going down and being eaten. I am so strange. Yet I could sit on a sand dune and watch the ocean for hours. Its mother nature at her best and worst.

Love the spring in GB as well. Think Spring and Autumn are best seasons for me. Anyway now you know you have a complete nutter on the message board. I will now leave to seek therapy. I have to fly on holiday in a few weeks and guess what yep I'm scared.

Jo, you are NOT the only nutter on this board, so please, don't worry! I dislike flying myself, if only for the effect it has on my ears - I can never get the pressure to equalize, and it hurts like mad! Some time or another, I'll elucidate on the "Werewolf in the Toilet" problem I had for years - no joke, I was seriously afraid.

I am no therapist, but have you ever considered some sort of "security aid" to help you feel a little more relaxed about the fear of crashing and sharks? Maybe a squirt bottle of something common, like vinegar or a packet of table pepper, which would give you the feeling that if a shark DID try anything, you could drive him off by giving him a NASTY surprise right in the eyes. Check first about airport security. I don't know what it is like in your part of the world, but here in the US they are REALLY persnickety.

originally posted by HJ

I'm scared of flying too! It makes me really claustrophobic and gives me motion sickness which lingers well after I'm back on land.

Janny, I remember - on my only trip to the States - leaving New York as a passenger in a rental car and feeling absolutely terrified at the strangeness and hugeness of it all. No power on Earth or elsewhere could have forced me to take the wheel!

I love water - rivers, ponds, seas. It's endlessly fascinating to me. I've snorkled in the Med and the Indian Ocean, both were highlights of my life!! If I lived near the coast I would want a boat of my own and I would love to learn to sail.

Another highlight of my life was seeing seals off the North Welsh coast for the first time a couple of years ago. The house we stayed at in Scotland last summer was just outside Oban overlooking the islands of Lismore and Mull and we could see seals playing in the bay from our window!

Now, what I'd really like to see is a whale in the wild.

I had the wonderful opportunity to go out with some local fishermen to watch the seals around the rock stacks off the Isle of Lewis…another highlight - while crossing back to the States from Bermuda, about 3 days out, in a 40 foot yawl, and being SURROUNDED horizon to horizon by porpoises. There were So Many, it was awesome - leaping and playing everywhere you looked. Impossible to count them as stars. When I went below, all I could hear was porpoises talking - echoing through the hull. There must have been fifteen in line to ride the bow wake, and some had young at their side…never heard of them schooling - but it was truly an amazing event.

…back to a winter sea, and a rather familiar brig on Athera…

originally posted by Derek Coventry

I also will never take to the air, heights send me dizzy, I will never own or drive a car or motorcycle but I do love the water and have always lived within 10 minutes walk to the sea. I'd love to converse telepathically with whales and other mammals, (as I do with my dogs!).
Am I a nutter? Perhaps!
I'm so looking forward to Stormed Fortress.

originally posted by Steve Redpath

Can't say I have every really understood fear of flying or sailing. Flying I find quite boring, sailing is fun (especially with a bar on board). Apparently a couple of drinks are good for motion sickness.

HJ what part of the Midlands you in? I'm down in Worcester.

If you think it is scary driving in unfamiliar countries you should try just walking, especially if the natives travel on the different side of the road. Holland is the most fun for that as you can easily be swiped by cycles with no bells or brakes!

Janny planning on coming over when the new book is out. Would be great to see you and have you sign of these wonderful books of your.

originally posted by HJ

Hi Steve,

I'm a Black Country girl. Haven't been to Worcester for such a long time. It's a lovely city.

The porpoise thing sounds wonderful Janny.

:smiley:

originally posted by Bob

Hey hey good play on words. By cycles

Steve - if the opportunity presented, I'd be there.You bet. I don't know of any plans at this moment.

originally posted by Steve Redpath

Hi HJ

You should come down sometime. They have renovated the city center. Worth checking out

Janny - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

originally posted by Robert

Hey everybody! I am new to the chat area but not the books!! I love them. I started in 93 or 94 when I was 11 and have been following ever since. I have a question or thought about Dakar's vision of Arithon being attacked by a Unicorn. Where can I air that out and get some response? Here or under a different topic? Thanks for the story Janny, even if it kills me to wait so long for the next novel in this series.

originally posted by Trys

Robert,

Welcome to the board.

Best place would be in a discussion topic under the book in which the scene takes place. Feel free to start a new thread.

Trys

originally posted by HJ

Well, Steve, my sister in law was down in Worcester recently and has been telling me how nice it is. We've got plans to head down there one of the weekends and have a look at the place. Thanks! :smiley:

Hello Robert!

Hi Robert - welcome here!

There is a thread under General Discussion, titled Arithon's Execution in which others have broached this topic - you could most easily continue the discussion there.

And thanks for your nice words!