World's End Gates

originally posted by Judy

S'Ffalenn, s'Ellestrion, 's'Ahelas and s'Ilessid are the 4 that Dakar lists as he's betting with Asandir about who is coming back

originally posted by Annette

The last s’Ellestrion Prince made it through the West Gate, died crossing the Red Desert. Only three royals made it to Dascen Elur. From the Traitor's Knot Glossary, the last s’Ellestrion died in 5018. So they were going through West Gate at different times. Dari the last royal to flee was born in 5037, I am not sure it was ever mentioned how old she was when she went through the gate, but I would think at least 18.

Havish's little orphan stayed at home, as did all his descendents. He was born before Dari, so I am thinking there was a reason for that lineage to be not sent through West Gate. Luhaine thought the last surviving s’Lornmein worth dying for.

And a question for Janny about one of the FAQ on the Paravia site, and which I always thought was wrong, so have finally decided to query.
https://paravia.com/JannyWurts/website/AuthorsNotes/FAQ/SplinterWorlds.html

quote:

Q: When exactly did the Fellowship exile people through South Gate?

A: Exile through South Gate, for those who chose to pursue the Compact's forbidden technologies, would have happened after creation of the Mistwraith.

Would it not have been before the creation of the Mistwraith? If no planets linked to Athera by the gates had a human population before the compact, and no one went through the gate till after the Mistwraith was created, who created the Mistwraith? It was said in the books that mankind created it.

Hi Annette, You Asked: that is a wrong footnote - exile through South Gate occurred before the creation of the Mistrwaith.

originally posted by Julie

Thank you Judy and Annette- I am waiting for my new copy of COTM to arrive- I would have been able to answer my own question about s'Ellestrion. Did the uprising actually extend to Mearth- is this what happened in the Red Desert?

originally posted by Clansman

Seems to this Clansman that we've been waiting for the tale of Mearth for quite a long time in the form of a short story. I remember Janny saying something about it being very "messy". Suffice to say, something bad happened.

So I will ask. Any chance of a story on Mearth and its demise? On the origins of the splinter worlds (where humanity can actually survive, apparently)?

originally posted by Trys

The Splinter Worlds FAQ has been corrected.

Thanks for the answer Janny and Trys for all his hard work.

While I would love a short story about Mearth, Davien's creations, lost Paravians and royal gems, I know Janny is going to have to explain some of that later anyway. I can wait for a no doubt forgetful Arithon to get there.

For Julie, CotM actually only had Dakar's comment in it concerning the s’Ellestrion lineage. It was not till Ships of Merior and I think all the other books that the fate of the s’Ellestrion Prince was included in the Glossary under Melhalla. But still the first book is full of interesting info, a great read, and you would need it for the big re-read before and probably after the next book.

originally posted by Neil

i wanted to pick this up again - the four directions

http://www.symbolic-meanings.com/2008/01/02/symbolism-of-the-compass-meaning-of- the-four-directions/

east gate could be "future, new beginnings, grouwth, salvation/spirit"

I do not think it coincidence that we have not yet seen the east gate details…

Why would it not be similar to the meanings of the compass points in the magic?
East Air
South fire
West Water
North Earth

And it has been mentioned in the books what at least some of those elements represent, or are placeholders for.