Wiki Paravia

originally posted by Auna

This is cool. It appears though that there are no links yet to anyone's pages.

originally posted by Trys

Auna,

I'm hoping that you and others will go in there and add the content, establish the missing pages, add more links and essentially build the Encyclopedia of Athera. :smiley:

So yes there are lots of links that don't go anywhere. Click one and create the missing page. :smiley:

All I ask is that everyone follow the pattern of CotM for the book pages. I want these pages to all have the same look, feel, layout, sections, etc. And I've talked to Janny about which covers to display in the main book data but I want to add other editions as well… just haven't come up with a plan on how I want to do that.

originally posted by Konran

I haven't jumped ship, I promise… T_T Just getting close to finals for me so I don't have much time at the moment. I was thinking though that it might be easier if, instead of running around adding pages willy-nilly, we do this in a more organized manner and each of us interested persons "claim" a "section" of pages to do. For example, one of us might do the F7 and the Paravians, and everything related… one of us might do Lysaer's camp (Lysaer, Tysan, Sulfin Evend, etc.), one of us might do the Koriani… you can see where this is going. Thoughts?

I rather like the idea of 'willy nilly'. It allows for people to indicate things that they feel should be links so that others can come in and add that page. It also allows for overlapping interests to edit/update the same pages… something which is very likely to happen. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by Hunter

Hi Trys,

Are we allowed to link to the Interactive map? e.g. if there is an entry for Havish, I'm assuming we can then add the link to the Havish interactive map?

Hunter

Hunter,

I see no problem with that.

Trys

originally posted by John Parsons

Would it be permissible to have pages discussing the series as a whole? I was thinking particularly of a discussion on such things as the "philosophy" of the books, for example freedom/responsibility contrasting with slavery/coercion; and also honesty as against (self-)deception. Janny has said in the past that such issues were part of her motivation for writing the series.

John

originally posted by Auna

I didn't want to stomp on anyone if they were planning to create a home page that had links in an organized fashion, that's why I asked about lack of any links.

John,

Hmmm, I view the Paravia Wiki as an encyclopedia of Athera (and Janny's works). This Chat Area is the perfect place to carry on discussions. :smiley:

Auna,

At some point, when the Wiki has grown, I'll likely add some links to the left navigator pane… such as direct links to the 'root' pages such as Wars of Light and Shadow, etc.

Trys

Trys, I have a question… for reference purposes, can we put things like the Black Rose Prophecy and Fionn Areth's birth augury into the pages? Or is that still a no-no? I know we aren't allowed to copy anything out of the books so probably the answer is no, but I just wanted to ask and make sure. If we aren't allowed the exact wording I suppose we could still give a brief run-down.

Konran,

Short quotes for purposes of illustration are allowed by copyright law. The two things you ask about should be okay so long as credit is given (i.e., (c) Janny Wurts, <book><edition><page>) in a footnote.

Trys

Okay, thanks Trys =)

Hi Trys,

I tried to add a reference footnote using the <ref> tag as described on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Footnotes

Would it be possible to enable HTML within the Wiki to allow this tag to work correctly? It would make future references easier to manage.

Regards,
BU

Also, it would nice if we could use the standard Spoiler templates:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Spoiler_warning

though I don't know how difficult it is to set up.

Regards,
BU

Hi Brian,

I'll look into enabling HTML in the wiki. As to templates… we have none… only those that we create. Anything of this nature located on Wikipedia is likely their stuff and I won't risk stepping on their copyright (assuming they have one).

But, if you investigate how to create templates, you should be able to come with something similar or maybe even better. :wink: I created a template to use for the book pages to get the block of data that appears on the page.

Trys

Sounds good – I'll see what I can come up with!

Brian,

Limited HTML is enabled in the Wiki be default. Raw HTML is not. Raw meaning there is no checking of the form. I agree with the MediaWiki people that this latter should not be turned on.

I notice in your Wiki pages an attempt to use a ref tag and a references tag. I'm not familiar with these html elements and so they are likely not supported by the Wiki. What were you trying to accomplish?

Trys

Hi Trys,

The <ref> tags are the standard footnote-based extension described at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Footnotes

From that page:
"As of late December 2005, the Cite.php extension to MediaWiki has been installed on all Wikimedia wikis. Other wikis that use the MediaWiki software may not have this extension installed, and therefore may be unable to display Cite.php footnotes. The Special:Version page on a MediaWiki wiki shows the installed extensions."

If this extension isn't installed in our particular flavour of the Wiki, I can look into creating a template for a similar functionality – I just didn't realize we could create our own templates before. I'll try to do that this weekend, and will also clean up my two <ref> entries.

Cheers,
BU

Hi Brian,

Two things. Prior to seeing your post about cite.php, I made changes to the Black Rose Prophecy to use standard (Harvard?) footnote style. After reading your post I then installed cite.php but it caused a message to generate at the top of each page (documented on the cite.php page as a problem in 1.6.8 but apparently also a problem with 1.9.3 so I removed it).

The one missing thing from the footnote indicator is the anchor link so that someone can click on the superscript 1 in the text and automatically go to the footnote. I can't figure out what to put in the page for the anchor.

Check out the footnoting and see what you think. Whatever you finally decide on that works should become the standard method of doing references.

Trys

Looks good – I created new templates (adding a hyperlink to the style you used) to minimize the confusion and added instructions on creating spoilers and footnotes in the Help section:

https://wiki.paravia.com/wiki/Help:Custom_Templates

Thanks for everything you've done to get this rolling!