Who would you cast?

originally posted by Memory

I think that the actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers would make a good Arithon. He looks the part, can actually act and apparently is a singer and musician… He's also not some big Hollywood name that would overshadow the film :wink:

Found a random pic to illustrate:

(link removed)

originally posted by Trys

Jonathon Rhys Meyers played Steerpike in the BBC production of Gormenghast and King Philip of France in the recent Showtime remake of A Lion in Winter.

originally posted by Hannah

You can also catch him in theatres right now (in the US at least) in Vanity Fair. He was about the only thing I enjoyed in that horrifyingly awfully edited movie. He was so wonderfully malicious. I don't think he blinked the entire movie.

He looks so young though. Always so young. I know Arithon is perpetually 22, but still. He has to have some worldliness in his eyes I think.

And JRM always seems to play baddies. Makes it hard to visualize.

originally posted by StarGazer72

I don't have any suggestions, but thinking of Orlando Bloom as Lysaer and Johnny Depp as Arithon (even though the ages aren't quite right) does put that fight between them in Pirates into a whole new light! Was chuckling to myself the last time I watched it. :smiley:
SG

originally posted by Memory

Ahhh, Hannah, but there's the beauty of it - he is tragically misunderstood :wink:

Memory

originally posted by Benjamin Kenneally

Somehow whenever I see Dakar, I always see Oliver Platt. Drunken, occasionally loutish, overweight, grumbling, but understanding and compassionate underneath. Oliver can certainly do all of that.

originally posted by Ellydee

Gael Garcia Bernal was excellent in The Motorcycle Diaries, and kept reminding me of the portrait of Arithon I have in my mind. And he's very cute. He would be my top choice!

originally posted by Ketrilla

There was a couple people in The Count of Monte Cristo that I though would make a good Arithon, but I cant remember the names.

originally posted by Robert Allen Smith

I know this thread is dead but everysince seeing Unreal World's first season on network T.V. I have felt that Dakar would best be played by Ron Jeremy.

originally posted by Kitsune

Hmm.
For casting?
Visually, I think Paul Walker is how I see Lysaer.
(Though I don't think he necessarily has the acting chops to pull off such a meaty role.)

Arithon, however?
Is much a harder cast for me, sine his "image" varies.

But the face I typically "see" when I think of Arithon is Mike Erwin. (He's best known for playing "Colin Hart" on the TV show "Everwood".

originally posted by Kam

I just had an awesome candidate for an Arithon.

Dan Balan. Check him out if you don't know who I'm talking about. He's a pop singer, which is kinda funny to me.

His most popular song is probably that Numa Numa song (thanks to youtube!)

His website for pictures.

And he's got an interesting accent :stuck_out_tongue:

originally posted by Meredith Lee Gray

Yesterday I watched 3/4 of the movie Stage Beauty with Billy Crudup, and the entire time he reminded me of Arithon. (Well, not so much when he was acting as a woman, LOL…)

Billy Crudup is a fantastic actor, and facially resembles Arithon quite a bit (except he has dark eyes instead of green I think). He's very expressive and dynamic in this role. In turn forceful, tortured, cynical and witty, conniving, and innocent.

In the movie, in particular there was one scene where his character goes to "dinner" with the King and a mess of nobles, but he dresses in really simple, unadorned black, and it reminded me of how Arithon often does just that. Also, his character is very quick-witted, mouthy, insulting, and funny–just as Arithon often is (to those he doesn't like at least). :wink:

Anyhow, in that movie at least, Billy Crudup gets my casting vote. There's a serious dearth of caps from that movie, but here's one (link removed). I recommend the movie if you want to check it out. Odd in some parts, but very entertaining.

originally posted by Julie

Billy Crudup is one of those actors you want to see much more of- I think I first really took notice of him in Jesus' Son. Like Christian Bale (another dark haired angular faced man)he can take risky roles and does not sell out too much.
Good choice!

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

This is kind of an old movie now and I know that it was mentioned in this thread a couple of years ago but I definately agree that the Count of Monte Cristo had some good options. In the last thirty minutes of the movie, when James Caviezel and Guy Pearce are fighting, I can't help but see Lysaer and Arithon. Caviezel is wearing simple clothing in the black and white that Arithon is always described in, he has the wavy, slightly too long hair and the green eyes. Also, he has the tortured hero look while Pearce looks every inch the refined gentleman. Anyway, every time I see that scene I think that the two actors would be great for the roles.

That's funny, because of the two, I would say Guy looks more like Arithon, with the very pronounced cheekbones and arrogance, and a mouth similar to what Janny painted.

Mer

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

I can see that. I guess that I just think that Guy has the blonde hair and blue eyes like Lysaer. Also, I don't know, Arithon's character has the arrogance but it's based off of experience through life. Lysaer's is more about what he learned as the heir to the throne. As far as the characters go in the movie I think that Edmond's character can be very arrogant but it comes from the experiences of his life; a defense to others and not something that was learned from is father. Anyway, I was mainly going off of the fact that Caviezel has the dark hair and green eyes. He also has the tanned skin.
Thanks for the response. This is the first chat of any kind that I've been on. It's really neat that people respond to all of the comments.

originally posted by Clansman

Welcome, Kirsten. This IS a great chat area, and we respect each other fairly well, even when we disagree. There have been some rather heated philosophical discussions when we have broken conversational rules (i.e. no religion or politics), but we still like each other, and our comments, even in disagreement, stay above the fray that you could find in some less respectable chats.

Oh, does Guy have blonde hair in that movie? I thought it was brown, albeit lighter than Caviezel's. I know Guy has had blonde hair in a handful of his movies, but he naturally has quite dark hair and blue eyes (which can easily be contact'd to green).

Jim Caviezel does have an interesting look, but it's really not "Arithon" to me.

Guy Pearce is certainly known for portraying characters that are more than full of themselves. But I'm just speaking facially about looks, not personalities. Anyhow, I wouldn't call Arithon's personality arrogant per se (well, okay, sometimes he is–but I wouldn't say it to his face). But, well, his appearance… In some of the Fionn Areth bits, when he's growing up, for example, his mother(?) remarks upon how his face has an arrogant set to it.

I'm glad you found the chat area! There's nothing like a great chat area to bring your fandom to fruition. *sigh* I have no idea what I'm talking about. LOL, nevermind.

Mer

originally posted by Kam

I watched Dr Horrible lately and one of the characters, Penny reminds me so much of Elaira (except for the part about being a wet blanket).

Anyway the actress is Felicia Day, whom I think would be a pretty good Elaira. She's not classically beautiful but I think she has a natural charm. Plus she's got auburn hair and grey eyes to begin with! @.@

http://feliciaday.com/

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=9aksof50qPI&feature=related

originally posted by Antonia van Koeverden

Sorry, guys, but I don't think that anyone could possibly do Arithon justice. There is just far too much to portray than you can sensibly ask an actor to convey.

I think I'd make a good Elaira! I have greyish eyes, and auburn hair, and I loove Arithon… sound good so far??

Lysaer and Talith would be hard to cast too, both are described as "perfect" beauty-wise. But there was one guy I saw a while ago… damn, his name's just gone completely… bother. How about - no, that wasn't it. Sorry.