Wars of Light and Shadow: A modern opera

originally posted by Jo

I was going to say the same cause we don't know them. I agree with Angus Ioan also looked very sexy as Lancelot in King Arthur not a great film though in my humble opinion. Not sure about the others though. Never seen any pics of Elaira and all I can see is Prince Charming in Shrek as Lysaer think you may have said that b4 Angus or someone has.

originally posted by Blue

Glad you liked the suggestion, Angus.

The actor's name is Michael McShane, and he was actually the first person that came to mind when I read the description of Dakar in WoLaS.

He is an actor and a skilled comedian, having starred in the original UK comedy series, Whose Line Is It Anyway? I think he did a couple of guest shots on the US version of the series, but he did not stick around. I would sure like to see him in action again.

Another person who would fit the role of Dakar would be John Rhys-Davies, famed for playing Sallah in the Indiana Jones movies, and Gimli in Lord of the Rings. He has that booming voice going, and is also a very talented actor.

As for Kevin Costner as Robin Hood - well, he was the "it" boy at the time in Hollywood. I still like the little potshot Cary Elwes made in Robin Hood: Men in Tights about HIS having an English accent. If I'm not mistaken, Cary Elwes is the only Englishman to play the role of Robin Hood in a Hollywood production.

Yes, Janny, sadly Angus is right, you WOULD have to be excluded from this little casting thread; I hope we provide you and Don with hours of laughs, though, at our casting decisions.

I would STILL like to hear what Arithon has to say about Johnny Depp playing his part. :smiley:

What does anyone think of Keira Knightley as Elaira, though?

originally posted by Trys

Cary Elwes's Robin Hood said something to the effect of "I, unlike other Robin Hoods, can speak with an English accent."

originally posted by Ika Nurain

trys!
*laughs*…I love that line.

originally posted by Angus

Blue:

I am terrible at actors names. What has Keira Knightley done?

originally posted by Robert Siller

Who would you let compose the music? I have not heard of many good modern opera composers.

Angus, Keira Knightley has been in all 3 of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, as well as Pride and Prejudice, Domino, and a few others.

If you want a good online source for looking up things about actors, actresses, movies, and TV, try the Internet Movie Database.

http://www.imdb.com

My vote for composers, since it is a modern opera, is Roger Waters, so long as he agrees to re-unite with Pink Floyd to do the music. I know it's not opera, but rock opera (and way better than that Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff) has its merits. Plus, wars of "Light" and "Shadow" would fit really well with Pink Floyd themes, dontcha think?

Actually, that whole idea is kind of depressing, as Pink Floyd's music is somewhat dark and brooding.

Finally, thanks for the tips on actors and stuff Blue, though as a rule I am not a "star" follower. I do remember Michael McShane from "Who's Line is it Anyway". He was hilarious. He would be the perfect Dakar, with a bit more cynicism tnan the Friar Tuck character.

In Prince of Thieves, he was lot like Janny has described Dakar - wearing brown robes, and having the "spaniel beard and hair." Plus, he was drinking a lot, and singing VERY badly - I could EASILY imagine someone trying to imprison him and being driven bat---- INSANE by the racket.

That's why the first time I watch that movie again after reading SoM, I thought, "Wow, Dakar's movie debut!"

I also had a good laugh when I was going to work one day. I passed the waterfront, and saw this old rustbucket of a freighter docked near the ferry terminal. The name on the bow? Dakar.

Angus, no shame in not being a star follower. There aren't really all that many anymore that are worthy of being followed.

Looking back, I remembered a composer that might be able to accomplish a feat like this. John Adams, a great composer who actually writes (in my opinion, I am a classical instrumentalist) music.

John Adams it is then. I defer to your superior experience. I am reminded of an old British comedy sketch that was a political/cultural satire (Margaret Thatcher was their favourite target) by using puppets. It was a rather "low" sketch that dealt with flatulence, and mentioned the great composers (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc.) as being great composers "who fart a lot", but finished with Andrew Lloyd Webber (one "b" or two?) as "an old fart who composes a lot".

Aye, that's the rub.

Robert, could you point me to some of John Adams' stuff? If you think it's good, and your in the biz (so to speak), I'd like to hear it.

I don't care so much about what kind of music a person composes or performs, I just care if it's good and played with passion. I like everything from the Blues to Beethoven, so long as it is done well. I can even take rap, if it is meaningful instead of base, though I must admit, it is a stretch for me.

Angus, I would try and find the Opera "Nixon in China", or "The Chairman Dances", and the more recent opera "Doctor Atomic". Those are nice pieces, only "Doctor Atomic" might be hard to find.

originally posted by Walt

Okay… Now y'all have my mind working in whirl. I'm hearing libretto's in my head; an especially taunting and catty duet between Alaria and Lirenda. I hear Lysander's cabal in a 3/4 time conspirital waltz planning the usurping of the Prince of Light's soul. Something very poignant for Alaria and Arithon's unrequited love with poisonous connotations from Moriel crouched like a onyx and diamond spider over the Waystone. Deffinately need the glouchenspiel for the Koriani theme.

Where's my keyboard when I need it!!! Oh yah… at work. By the time I got home, took care of kids, etc, the muse will have left me. Oh Pain! Oh temptress of a Muse!

originally posted by Jay_Jay

Ohhh, I just had a brilliant idea that has me ROTFLOL!!

I picture Morriel as Natasha from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon series!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Boris_natasha_fearless.jpg

NAH.

Waaaaaaaaaaay too young, and I never noticed before, but Natasha is curvacious (spelling?). I picture Morriel as quite, well, shrivelled.

The evil manipulation part is bang on, though.

originally posted by Trys

How about Natasha as Lirenda… and for Morriel/Seldie, isn't she blonde?

originally posted by DarthJazy

spell natasha backwards its morriel in a nutshell

ah satan

originally posted by max

CHARLOTTE CHURCH FOR ELAIRA!! WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? [SMILING AT YA]

Good one, Max! The girl can sing, and dying her hair should be a snap. I think that this is the first actor in this casting discussion that can sing.

The question is, can she act?

Even better than Charlotte Church for Elaira:

Romola Garai (she played Barbara Wilberforce in "Amazing Grace". Incidentally, Ioan Griffudd played William Wilberforce.) would be a good Elaira.

How about this: Michael Gambon for Sethvir? He played Lord Fox in Amazing Grace, and he also played the English spy teacher in "The Good Shepherd". He is certainly rumpled enough, and has that absent-minded professor bit down pretty good.

Can you tell I saw "Amazing Grace" recently? Good film, about an important social development (abolishing the slave trade). As soon as I saw Barbara Wilberforce, I thought: ELAIRA!