Verrain's story

originally posted by Jeff

Starting chapter 4 now, I see that my first impressions were off; I didn't know enough background info. Lisya is an interesting person and I look forward to see what's to come.

After I finish The Gallant, I'm wondering if I should read all the stories before posting a review on Amazon. I suppose I could do a preliminary review to be updated later…

I'm also wondering if at some point there will be an account of the original battle against the Mistwraith at South Gate. That could take an entire novel or more, considering all that's going on at the same time across the continent (as reflected in the various short stories). Also, what would it be like to witness the Crown Jewels of all five kingdoms wielded in concert— the imagination reels.

Jeff - lots of people review anthologies that way- one story at a time/they add on as they read them.

And, yeah, five sets of crown jewels in concert - doozie of a concept!! Holy crap, I had a hard enough time with describing just one set. Those sorts of scenes are brain meat=grinders to write, because language was just not designed to GO there, the words don't exist.

Thanks, Janny.

I'll think about how to review without spoiling.

Brian Uri!'s review is excellent and I want to avoid plagiarizing.
-------------------

Well, my decision to read one chapter at a time went out the window. Today I started chapter 5 and couldn't stop until the end.

A lot happens that sheds light on events, people and places in Wars of Light and Shadow (WOLAS).
I agree with Alissa's assessment and understand why Auna (and others) would feel such emotion.

All of the characters are brought to life by description and through their actions. I cared what happened to them and was on the proverbial edge of my seat as events unfolded. Lisya is a magnificent person and is my favorite of the newly introduced characters. Knowing that Verrain survives to the WOLAS era, I wondered how his situation would be resolved; it's a moving journey.

The description of certain dangerous creatures mentioned at times in WOLAS is, I think, more clearly detailed than elsewhere

As soon as I recognized the name of a site mentioned elsewhere to have been repurposed as a Koriani sisterhouse, I knew something momentous would likely happen there.

I'm caused to wonder just what existence might be beyond the veil and how those who've gone there might be affected by those they leave behind.

My anticipation for Song of the Mysteries has gone even higher.

originally posted by Alissa

Thank you Jeff. I just loved the way worldbuilding and focus on characters blended seamlessly. I loved reading Brian's and your review.

I'm currently reading the other novels of this collection, I'm familiar with Krista D. Ball but not the other authors.

originally posted by Melanie Trumbull

My own answer to Brian Uri's earlier question,
about WoLaS books to preview before The Gallant:
I recommend the second WoLaS book,
"The Ships of Merior,"
and the chapter/set titled "Convocation."

This takes you to Verrain's work on behalf
of the Fellowship of the Seven,
and shows Verrain and five of those Seven
working together.
It supplies a really solid foundation for
understanding their group relationship.

Hi Melanie.

Thanks for the reference. I'd like to re-read that for context; now I can get there quickly.

originally posted by Dorothy

I live in the UK and have an Amazon UK account. can I buy Secrets and Spells? I have no idea how these internet things are connected to each other. Or not as the case may be.

originally posted by Dorothy

Checked Amazon UK and it's there! Should have checked again before posting. Bought it and it's my week off work. Couldn't be better!

I think re-reading the chapter "Convocation" after "The Gallant" makess the events in the chapter seem more vibrant. Verrain's observations and perspective have depth and continuity that was vague before. It also adds to the sense of time, knowledge and perception experienced by the Fellowship sorcerers.

originally posted by Melanie Trumbull

Glad to hear that it is a meaningful suggestion.

-Do you want a sequel?

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

:smiley: OMGPLS :stuck_out_tongue:

I should have it finished tomorrow - the past week has been hectic as! I'm so keen too, seeing the above posts, and have Merior lined up to cross-reference as suggested.

I "Second That Emotion".

It's come to my attention that if you are searching this story, be sure to use the SYMBOL for &, not 'and' or the search will come up blank:

Secrets & Spells

It should be available everywhere.

originally posted by Auna

Did Janny say sequel? Um, yes please!

I left a review on Amazon's US store site for Verrain's story plus the other two I'd already read. As someone else mentioned above, I'll add to it when I finish the rest. Other reviews seemed to appreciate one of the other stories I've not gotten to yet, so with my review, I think all the stories have some notice. (Only 6 reviews so far on the US store.)

Also, peanuts in the scheme of things, but I'm quite happy my combination of newsletter plus website review yielded two verified sales of the book. You can read my review as well as find out why I'm having such a hard time remembering Verrain's name here: http://www.thegoldenelm.org/book-reviews/

One thing I need to mention is that the book, Secrets & Spells, doesn't show up on the Janny Wurts Amazon author page (checked both US and UK stores). As well, when clicking the 'Janny Wurts' author link from the book, it doesn't navigate to the author page. Instead it does a search by the author name and regurgitates the results. I'm not sure how this is handled, but you might want to look into it. I'm guessing someone forgot to claim it under the Amazon Author Central page.

originally posted by Auna

Oh, forgot to add that you definitely want the book to appear in the author page because that will trigger Amazon to fire off an email to anyone following you that a book is available. (At least in theory, eventually, sometimes, maybe, it does that!)

Did anybody have any trouble finding this e book special?

I understand it's critical to type in the precise title. If you don't use the ampersand and the numeral six, you may not be able to locate it.

The story is in:

Secrets & Spells: 6 Fantasy Novels

Hooray - The Gallant (aka, Verrain's Story) is now up in the Paravia webstore with a brand spanking new oil painting on the cover.

Enjoy!!!

https://www.paravia.com/StudioShop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_41_42& products_id=213

1 Like