Verrain's story

originally posted by Auna

Awesome!!! :smiley:

The Gallant was turned in today - fully production ready. I will have more information on its release very soon.

I have returned the contract.

Here's the word:

The Gallant/novella will appear FIRST in a boxed set with works compiled by five authors titled Secrets and Spells, to be released from Tyche Books - e format - it should be available in Early August if all goes well with the production.

I will post more fully when I have more information.

PREORDER LINKS ARE LIVE! for Secrets and Spells, that includes The Gallant. Release date is officially August 7th.

Have at it:

Amazon.com: (link removed)

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/ww/en/ebook/secrets-spells

Draft2Digital (Apple & Nook): https://www.books2read.com/u/47ZgDq

You get works by 4 other authors with this box set and a very nice price. If you prefer to wait for the single story issue, (I have to do the cover art) it will go up eventually in e format in the Paravia store.

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

My birthday is the 8th, thank you for this amazing gift! XD

originally posted by Alissa

Got it! Thank you for this summer gift, so eagerly looking forward to it!!

originally posted by Jeff

My preorder is in. I'm looking forward to it also.

originally posted by Clansman

My pre-order is also completed. Nice price, btw! Can't see how they're making money on a 99 cent book!

If you have pre-ordered Secrets and Spells with The Gallant in it, word is, it will drop tomorrow.

Happy Reading!!

originally posted by Clansman

I GOT IT!!! Damn. Still at work. Mustā€¦exerciseā€¦disciplineā€¦

Oh, but this will be painful to wait until tonight!!!

You may be the first - and there are other Canadian authors in the box set (Tyche is Canadian)ā€¦so have fun, shout if you like it, and pls, review and rate if you care to, really helps!! (And update the Chronsā€¦if you are so inclined).

originally posted by Jeff

Hi.

This should be spoiler-free; just general impressions from what I've read so far.

My copy was delivered to my Kindle this morning and I read a few paragraphs before leaving for work. Verrain's reputation as described is interesting. Perhaps Dakar isn't the only one who needed to mature. Then again, maybe his reputation is misperceived by the populace. I suppose I'll find out as the events unfoldā€¦

I'm going to discipline myself and take time to enjoy this story.

Janny,

For newer readers, is there a book in the main series you should read up through before diving into The Gallant? For example, you've said in the past that Sundering Star should come after Warhost of Vastmark, and Black Bargain should come after Stormed Fortress.

Hi Brian, I don't think in this case it matters - they could start here, if they wanted. I asked a test reader what they thought - (one who had not read the series, and I described what I thought it might affect) and their response was, when Verrain shows up, they will be a LOT more interested in that scene/having read The Gallant, first. And since that was a scene my editor wanted cut out of the book, this would, in fact, connect a dot that otherwise might not relate as well to a new reader into the series for the first time.

So I'd say, have at this one anywhere.

Nobody's reported back they finished it, yetā€¦

Ooh, 99c is a steal!

I got excited seeing C Greenwood, but then I noticed it's a book I've already read. Oh well. :stuck_out_tongue: (Good stories if you haven't read them)

I was reading Christie Golden's latest (wow addict, here), but I'll read this one asap! :smiley:

Finished last night ā€“ I'll get my thoughts together and post a review soon!

I'm a weepy mess, but I loved it. :stuck_out_tongue: I'll try to read the others soon and review it on Amazon.

originally posted by Alissa

Yesterday I was finally able to get some quality time off and dive in. I savored each page of Verrainā€™s story. It was poignant and full of love, with an edge of practical brutality that lends more depth to the conflict between Townbreds and Clanfolk.
I'm reminded, once again, that there are not clear-cut sides in this story but layers and nuances.

Iā€™m so happy I read it, I enjoyed both the personal story of Verrain, Lisya and Sethant and all the details about the brewing disorders, the big conspiracies that would set the ground for the events of the main series.

It's a great addition to the collection of tWoLaS short stories.

I posted my review on /r/fantasy:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/95dl0x/review_the_gallant_by_janny_wur ts_from_secrets/

Brian - a million thanks. I can write emā€¦I can't do thisā€¦nothing beats a reader putting stuff on the map.