TK Success

If a book is out of print with its publisher, any re-sale does not go into the account balance for that author/book production.

A backlist book is still in print and actively shipped by its publisher. It will not be used, ex-library, OR illegal sale of review copies, or "overstock" or "remainder sale" at a deep discount. The sale stickered books at the front of some chain bookshops - for four or five bucks a hardback - are remainders. The publisher sold them cheap to pay itself back for its "overrun," but authors do not get royalty or number credits for these books, even though they do find their way (often) to devoted readers.

This is strictly informational/education, not a slap for any reader who buys such books, nor a critique of the system, which just IS.

The hardbounds for my series are all out of print, except for the new one, Traitor's Knot. There are paperbacks in Britain and the USA.

I am NOT against the idea of paperbacks, just the system that handles them This Way.

originally posted by Trys

Cheryl,

When I started buying paperbacks they were $.50 each. :smiley:

I've often bought multiple copies of the same book… mostly on purpose. However, I've gotten caught twice now (Baen books in both instances I think) when I bought a book that two old books repackaged and retitled with minimal indication that this is what they are. Most recently, Andre Norton's Dark Companion which consists of Dark Piper and Dread Companion. It is nice to have them in hardcover though.

Trys

originally posted by Cheryl Detmer

Trys I thought you said 50 dollars and my eyes popped out. I thought 50 dollars wow they were expensive before. Then I realized 50 cents. LOL I didn't see that decimal point there. Are the hardbacks for the series out of print really? I must be misunderstanding that. I have the hardbacks now they are more special to me than ever. I'll get the hardback for TK too just not sure where to buy it from again. CircleBooks or Meisha Merlien I think now but not sure how long their delivery takes.

Cheryl,

Another possibility is wait for Dragon*Con, buy from Stephe in the dealer's room and get Janny to sign it. :smiley:

Trys

oooh I love that idea Trys. I will do that. Thanks that is cool. Janny will make a fortune off me there. LOL with the sketches too. lol I better bring more money. haha

originally posted by ishmael smith

hey where and when is Dragon*Con…neva been to one…never had the interest, or really knew about it until Paravia.com…[shrug]…sigh…another soul corrupted by Janny Wurts…Masterharper of Paravia

originally posted by Laurence J Johnson

Hello one and all, do the dragon conferences ever take place in the UK.,?

I'm still wondering if the UK., publishers operate in the same way as the large USA., publishers? Cheerio for now from Laurence.

Dragon*Con takes place each year in Atlanta, GA and is, arguably, the largest SF/F convention east of the Mississippi river. Most years it occurs over Labor Day weekend (Labor Day being the first Monday in September). This year it takes place from September 2-5 at Atlanta Marriott Marquis and Hyatt Regency Atlanta (yup, two hotels). Their webpage is http://www.dragoncon.org.

Laurence,

Dragon*Con is always in Atlanta, GA. This is like most SF/F conventions that always occur in the same place (Balticon is always in Baltimore, MD). The two conventions that I'm aware of that move around are The World Science Fiction Convention (WorldCon) takes and The World Fantasy Convention. WorldCon is in Glasgow, Scotland this year from August 4-5.

When WorldCon occurs outside of North America, there is a convention call NASFic (North American Scienct Fiction convention) that takes place in North America. This year it is being hosted by CascadiaCon in Seattle, WA.

Trys

originally posted by ishmael smith

looking to meet Janny…das the main function

originally posted by Auna

Cool, something in Seattle. I didn't see Janny's name on the list of panelists though :frowning_face:

originally posted by Laurence J Johnson

Hello Trys, thanks for the information, do you know where in Glasgow the conference is being held? Is there a web site? Skol from Laurence.

LAurence,

Yes, search for World Science Fiction Convention 2005 on google.

Trys

originally posted by Soltari

Play WoW as well under this name on Archimonde. Posted on my guild's board about this series so I hope a couple people atleast have checked it out.

Glad I know more about this practice of refunding the books. Though it will hurt the pocket book a bit more I'll try to pick up hardcovers if I can. I got TK from Britain already but I do fancy a US version.

Traitor's Knot arrived today at Bookstop here in Houston. I picked it up while I was out. Beautiful sketches Janny and maps. It was a treat to look through the drawings. Amazing work. Thought I'd let you know it arrived in Texas today. I couldn't wait for Dragon Con Trys. I'm bad. grin

Cheryl,

Now you'll have to carry the book TO and from the convention. :wink:

Trys

I know, I know. Believe me that occurred to me. lol I'm at the same hotel so I can run to the room and change books. LOL I learned it's better to stay at the hotel the convention is at but it will be kind of crowded there I'm afraid. We're driving so just the car and no plane worry for them.