Titles....

originally posted by Clansman

Obviously.

originally posted by DarthJazy

Hey this is better than christmas!

originally posted by Tygrr

I was under the impression that only Alithiel was passed into human hands. The other Paravian blades would be much too large for a human to handle. The only reason Alithiel is not oversized is because it was made for a centaur that was born undersized.

originally posted by Sundancer

Just re-reading Janny's comments that the titles were chosen not to spoil - so we are free to speculate wildly knowing we're going to be wildly wrong.

Had another thought - all the other arcs are about where the conflict between Arithon and Lysaer is up to - hence wars of light and shadow and then alliance of light. Lysaer is now homeless and trying to reduce the influence of the mistwraith, but his religion is not in the same mode.

And the next book is stand- alone. What if it is written from the viewpoint within the religion? The initiate could be an initiate of the religion of the light (even - really wild - Arithon's daughter). For 'sword of the canon' - what if it is a person or process within the religion of the light?

originally posted by Auna

I love the titles - great open ended and vast potential for multiple meanings, woo!

My own thoughts - Elaira/Koriani resolution this book, possible time jump to age Arithon's daughter, then F6/Davien and curse resolutions next book.

Oops forgot we have another book(s) for wrapup, so curse resolution goes there, hehe.

originally posted by John P Buckley

Dictionary.com defines Canon as
1. an ecclesiastical rule or law enacted by a council or other competent authority and, in the Roman Catholic Church, approved by the pope.
2. the body of ecclesiastical law.
3. the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art: the neoclassical canon.
4. a fundamental principle or general rule: the canons of good behavior.
5. a standard; criterion: the canons of taste.
6. the books of the Bible recognized by any Christian church as genuine and inspired.
7. any officially recognized set of sacred books.
8. any comprehensive list of books within a field.
9. the works of an author that have been accepted as authentic: There are 37 plays in the Shakespeare canon. Compare apocrypha (def. 3).
10. a catalog or list, as of the saints acknowledged by the Church.
11. Liturgy. the part of the Mass between the Sanctus and the Communion.
12. Eastern Church. a liturgical sequence sung at matins, usually consisting of nine odes arranged in a fixed pattern.
13. Music. consistent, note-for-note imitation of one melodic line by another, in which the second line starts after the first.
14. Printing. a 48-point type.
So which one applies? Personally I think the religous references are two obvious. So my vote goes for #3

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

My vote definately goes for 13. Being a musician myself I may be biased but I think that, because Arithon is a musician, it is something that Janny could definately do something with. Because it's the least obvious definition I could see her using it for something in her book. I think she always manages to use something benign to create something unusual.

originally posted by John P Buckley

Wow I didn't pay attention to the music one. It definitely sounds plausible

originally posted by Wendy Collett

Hi all, sorry I haven't posted earlier, I've managed to restrain myself from checking this section out, since release of SF, since it would only tease myself unmercifully for a longer period of time, than I'm sure it will seem anyway… (sigh)

Anyway, point for this thread is: Canon - fine, sounds reasonable.

What about the 'sword' part?

A 'sword' is something weilded in either defence or attack by/on behalf of the canon. It cuts/slashes/stabs, threatens. In the case of Alitheil, it protects, and, and, oh, darn, I'll need to re-read that section again to refresh what else it does.

But there is also a saying (I think) about a sword turning on it's master?

A sword could start by working for the holder (the canon), and turn on it later?

This title could be a physical sword, but I think not. More likely to be a person or persons.

So - a situation not mentioned elsewhere that I saw, at the end of SF, Lysaer/Sulfin realise that the 'troops' are far more fanatical about the cause than they are now that the effects of the curse are partially broken/recognised.

In this case, the 'sword' could be the troops themselves, OR Lysaer. Who weilds whom?

Just my $0.02 worth. :smiley:

Wendy