Titles....

Well, cross the fingers, the Title brainburn may have yielded a result…let's see if it withstands the scrutiny of Ye Editors…:smiley:

Stay tuned…

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

Thine editors better treat with thee justly Madame Wurts, else we angry mob shall set upon them like the almighty Flames of the Inferno!

(I mean, good luck and sneak us a peek at the title when ye can - pretty please…sugar on top, ye know the rest!)

originally posted by Tygrr

Oooohhh, the suspense is killing me!!!

originally posted by Blue

Laneth, it sounds like you want to form a Mob of Irate Torch Wielding Fans…

My friend, Jean Johnson's fans already have one set up on Yahoo! In fact, I AM a member of the Mob of Irate Torch Wielding Fans.

We'll have to come up with a different title for the legions of irate Wurts fans trying to get the point across to US publishers, however.

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

I can borrow the horde of zombies that are on the staff of the school paper I'm involved in? Think a horde of zombies would help?
They're well trained, with pizza being a healthy incentive for them to do as told :smiley:

Seriously though we should find a decent avenue to get the word out.
Websites like LibraryThing and various others are good to an extent, but they really don'y accurately account the FANS of Wurts' Literature. I'm going to go to ThePetitionSite.com and see if we can't drum up some signatures to present to the publishing houses in support of Janny's submissions.

How many signatures do ye think we will need? 5k? 10?

OK - Word's back.

Here are the titles, though note, the second volume is at this time tentative.

Title for Arc IV:

Sword of the Canon

Book 1 - Initiate's Trial

Book 2 - (tentative) Destiny's Conflict

Now, before you all got NUTS - bear in mind - these titles were chosen NOT TO SPOIL. So - if you "think" you can speculate on the obvious - hah!!!
- don't bet any bucks on the outcome.

Yay - happy author, we are officially NAMED.

originally posted by Clansman

Cool, and yet mysterious.

Sword of the Canon? Well, we know that gunpowder is not allowed on Athera as part of the Compact, and the firing-type is spelled with two "n"s, not one.

Can I speculate that the word "Canon" has a religious context, as in canonical, saintly, etc.? It sounds to me like the religious wars of the Alliance of Light, or its faith, will continue, but again, this is pure speculation on my part.

Now, Initiate's Trial. Could this be Elaira? Her role has steadily and definitely increased with each book, until in SF she was as central a character as Arithon. Is she leaping to the fore? What kind of trial is she facing? The "burn the witch" kind? Or the "test your character" kind? Or would this be Arithon's daughter, as an initiate of the Beidar mysteries? Or Kevor, as Ath's initiate?

Destiny's Conflict. This is so broad a title I can't even begin to guess. Final showdown between Arithon and Lysaer? The defeat of the Curse in Lysaer?

Speculation is so much fun!

originally posted by John Parsons

Definitely cool!

Canon usually refers to accepted religious writings; as in the 'Bible canon' - the list of books allowed in the holy scriptures. SO, some kind of holy /religious book. But a sword of that??? Must be Alithiel (or maybe another of the twelve blades)

Yes speculation is fascinating!!

John

originally posted by Julie

Maybe its Sulfin Evand- he is talented but untrained. Maybe Dakar finally harnesses his talents and ascends to mastery. Arithon, Elaira, Kevor, the unborn child are way too obvious!

originally posted by Brittani Pasek

Laneth I am thinking you are going to need something more like 50-75K signatures for a petition to get publishers. They are not interested in how many people already have her books, they want to know how many new books they are going to sell. 5-10K won't make a lot of money for a publisher. Just my take on things though I could be wrong.

originally posted by DarthJazy

hmmm i would guess sword of canon is in reference of the pen is mightyer than the sword in reference Lysaers religion and what ever bible they have coct up.

Initiates Trial - I would guess it may be Lysaer accepting training to help rid himself of the curse or and more likly itll will be Dakars final trial to be ranked above initiate mage. Elaira don't make sence for she is more on the path of being a healer.

Destinys conflict - well there are two destinies that basically rule of of athera and lead everyone about by the nose. Arithons destiny with redeeming his curse driven brother. The other I would think is the curse grabbing a final foothold into lysaer and driving him so far over the edge he dies or succeeds in killing arithon. Lets all remeber while Arithon may be the one chosen by most and most talented if either brother is permantly lost to athera the wraiths will eventually win. We need both not just one.

Love to speculate.

I forgot to add. I would love to see more about Lysaers Destiny. Everyone is ussually so worried about and trying to save Arithon and his destiny so the F7 can be made whole. Infact is it ever mentioned what Lysaers Destiny is supposed to be?

originally posted by Hunter

In some ways, I would have thought Alliance of Light could have been renamed Sword of the Canon.

A straightforward interpretation of Sword of the Canon is that Lysaer is the Sword, forceably converting all of the masses of Athera to his Canon of the Religion of Light. However, Lysaer had basically conquered everywhere except Havish before Stormed Fortress had started.

Of far more excitement and interest I think is a different take - Arithon's restoration of the Compact and the rule by High Kings and, where required, of caithdeiene, of Athera.

Ciladis has to return for the Black Rose prophecy to be fulfilled, Dakar's prophecy requires Arithon to embrace kingship. We have the picture of Exile's Return at Ithamon. Arithon is still called an initiate mage… Resuming the Kingdom of Rathain, so nearly his all those pages and years ago in Curse…, would pose a trial would it not?

Like Traitor's Knot, I would suspect Initiate's Trial would apply to more than one individual. Arithon yes. Elaira yes. Lysaer, possibly. The outcome of the effects on Lysaer at Alestron is not yet known. Kevor may also re-surface.

And… Destiny's Conflict? Is there really only one Destiny here?

originally posted by Clansman

Excellent points, Hunter. Janny's plots are always multi-faceted, so I agree that the "Initiate" in the title is likely applicable to several different people to whom that label could apply, namely Arithon, Elaira, Dakar, Kevor, Arithon's daughter, and possibly Lysaer.

The redemption of Lysaer must come at some point. I believe that Desh-Thiere cursed the half-brothers not because of what they did at Ithamon back in CotMW, but because of what they might do to the whole of Desh-Thiere in the future. Desh-Thiere is sentient, and it is obviously supernatural. Therefore, it is not much of a stretch for it to have prescience either, and perhaps much more reliable and biddable prescience than Dakar's. Desh-Thiere has likely foreseen what the brothers would do if they had not been cursed, and the Curse was its attempt to avoid that fate.

Correct me if I am wrong, but we still have in excess of 450 years left to Lysaer and Arithon's life span? Does the 500 years of turmoil refer to the period of time during the Mistwraith's dominance plus the conflict of the brothers, or to just the turmoil between the brothers? Lysaer could be redeemed at any time, and his religion could simply keep on going and going, a la Energizer Bunny.

Any other ideas?

P.S. Oh mighty Gryphon, the profanity checker is going overboard. It picked up an "s" at the end of a sentence followed by "It" at the beginning of another. Talk about picky! I changed the "It" to "Desh-Thiere" and my problems were solved, but the software might need some adjustment.

What fun - lots of new contributors!

And what fun - the speculations!

I would dare to suggest - the titles for Alliance of Light and for Sword of the Canon are certainly NOT interchangeable…as you will come to find out.

OOOOOOOOHHHHH thats just mean teasing Janny :stuck_out_tongue:

originally posted by Trys

I can tweak some settings on the software. I.e., "Prevent using first and last letters of banned words with symbols between". But that option has always been turned on so unless this becomes a real problem, I'm hesitant to undo it. Keep me posted.

originally posted by Sundancer

Ooooh Janny, this is exciting. So much room for speculation.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

spoiler spoiler spoiler

I have to admit that my first ideas have already been aired by others - my first reaction was Elaira as the initiate - her trial in working through her role as demanded by her crystal's decision to return to the Koriani, but then who would have guessed that the treachery in SF was by a S'Brydion? BTW is there a decision/explanation somewhere about who are/is the traitors in Traitor's Knot?

But Arithon is an initiate - and he has just been through the sort of experience that in Kevor's case required him to become an Ath's initate or to fade away from the world through longing for the higher planes he'd experienced. I really can't imagine what is holding Arithon to the world except his will and his vow after so long out of it.

Another initiate: Arithon's daughter presumably will be trained in magic, if she grows up at Althain tower, and the implications are that she is going to have a sad story.

No-one has mentioned any other Koriani initiate - what about Morriel? or Lirenda? After all, the title may be about a major theme but not the whole story, and the Koriani are in need of redemption too.

Remember everyone, this is going to be a stand-alone story (from a new perspective?) What scope might that give Janny? Which of our preconceptions will she turn on their heads this time? I can wait, but only just!

And sword of the canon: I'm terribly tempted by the idea of Arithon entering and turning Lysaer's religion into something more humane. That image of him being sacrificed seen by Jieret still has to come true…

I still think the sword should be Alithiel.

Definition of canon" a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy" or "An ecclesiastical law or code of laws established by a church council. A secular law, rule, or code of law."

Who else might have a canon apart from Lysaer's religion? The clans in keeping the compact? The mage-trained? The Biedar? Need the sword be physical?

Thank you Janny, not mean at all, you are so generous with your readers

originally posted by Tygrr

Maybe the initiate could be referring to Lirenda? I hate to think of her free will being taken from her permanently. Even if she committed atrocities that Morriel/Selidie Prime did not sanction. For all we know, maybe somehow she will be redeemed. Or what happened to her could somehow be another trial to be overcome to prove she is worthy of prime succession? Just speculation of course…I am to sick to be thinking clearly! :frowning_face:

I had a thougtht on the sword of cannon. There are 12 blades similar to Alithiel. Does each blade ahve a different power and inate awareness? Did each high king have one at some time? Maybe one of these swords is named canon?

On a side note cause this is the first place i posting this morning. The strike is over BRING ON "HEROS" WOOT!!

BIGGER NEWS DESERVING OF ALL CAPS!!

AUGUST 15TH RELEASE OF ANIMATED MOVIE, STAR WARS: CLONE WARS

CAN I GET A HALILUYA IN LYSAERS NAME WOOT!!

sorry couldnt control myself.