The wars of light and shadow

originally posted by Miranda

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Isn't the Traitor whichever acolyte of the Light it was that allowed Lysaer to become exposed to the Necromancers?

Miranda

originally posted by Hunter

Miranda, not sure about that.

Remember Mearn freezing his butt off half way up a tower in Avenor trying to find Talith and he stumbled across the shadowy cabal from Erdane who were basically using Lysaer as a puppet? Was this the Kralovir in action, or a completely separate group of people? If it's the Kralovir, then Arithon has ensured this group can not longer play Lysaer as a puppet… if they're different, well, we're in for some interesting times…

Given Ellaine is from Erdane, I'm wondering whether Lysaer might seek restitution from Erdane for providing a traitorous wife?

So many twists and turns…

One of those unresolved Fugitive Prince thingies, eh Janny? :smiley:

originally posted by Trys

Miranda,

As with most of Janny's books I suspect there are many traitors to be identified. After all ther were more than one Fugitive Prince, more than one Grand Conspiracy and more than one Peril's Gate. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by Sean Monahan

Spoilers for Traitor's knot

S
P
O
I
L

Arithon, betraying the clans. Elaira, caught between betraying Arithon and the Koriani. Dakar, betraying Arithon. Fionn Areth, for betraying Arithon. Lirenda, for betraying the Koriani. Sulfin Evend, for betraying the towns, and trying to save Lysaer without betraying him. Davien, betraying Arithon, and more over, all of mankind. The Fellowship, caught between betraying the compact and their own obligation to protect humanity. I could probably keep going.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Bottom line is that there are many knots in the book. :wink:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Makes you wonder how many and what the Fortresses being Stormed in the next book are…

Alestron would appear to be *the* obvious candidate… other physical locations which qualify as fortresses include Etarra, Althain Tower, Meth Isle and what's left of Ithamon. Then there are the metaphorical ones… like Lysaer's mind, Selidie's mind… fortresses definitely in need of some storming! The dictionary.com definition of "Fortress" starts thus: "A fortified place"

No one's arguing that there's only one traitor and only one knot in the entire book. That would be rather stupid. But in the same way as it would be pointless to insist that the title 'Curse of the Mistwraith' referred to the period of semi darkness inflicted by the fog on Athera prior to Arithon and Lysaer's arrival rather than the curse placed on the two princes, it seems unnecessarily picky to list all the traitors and all the knots (right down, presumably, to the various actual knots that Feylind and her crew may have theoretically tied on Khetienn or similar - they may have committed something that could, at a stretch be described as treachery, after all) when the title Traitor's Knot is unlikely to refer (specifically) to anything other than the book's major plotline (i.e. the Kralovir and, perhaps, the unwilling treachery of Sulfin Evend in taking the Caithdein's oath).

Miranda

Ooops, that post probably should have started with a 'spoiler' warning. D'oh.

Also wanted to ask - Trys, is a gryphon the same thing as a griffin? American spelling?

Miranda

Miranda,

The gryphon responds, "A griffin is a lesser creature of questionable background and intelligence that aspires to greatness already achieved by the gryphons. While the average human may not be able to tell the difference, no such difficulty exists for gryphons. and woe betide the griffin who attempts to pass himself off as a gryphon!"

The human replies, "Pay no attention to him. He tends to get full of himself on this subject. Gryphon, griffin, and griffon are all forms of the same word. Any argument to the contrary is simply the ranting of a deranged mind filled with delusions of grandeur and warped by one too many Fourth Spells."

"How dare you insult me and my…"

"Oh shut up or you won't get any mutton for dinner."

::The sound of a snapping beak and grumbling words is heard diminshing into the distance.::

Trys <– when you're paranoid you are never alone.

Gales of laughter from this end, Oh Great Gryphon. In future, I shall be sure to keep my semantic faux pas to myself…

Miranda

Miranda,

I hope not. I love the opportunity to play my two halves against each other. :wink:

Trys

originally posted by le.corbeau

hi there!

this is a question by a reader from germany.
does anyone (janny? :slight_smile: know if there will be german editions for the latest installments?
i understand that the publishing house that released the beginning of the series won't continue to publish the rest of the story. which is a shame as they stopped with 'grand conspiracy'.
i was thinking that another publishing house might be interested…
any info on that?

thanks and many greetings from europe!

le.corbeau

Hi le.corbeau -

There are – at this moment – no offers to contract German editions of the series. If this changes, there will be announcements here.

I too, certainly hope that fans in Germany will one day have the opportunity to finish the series.

originally posted by Blue

Le Corbeau, are there any German Science Fiction or Fantasy authors you could recommend whose works have been translated into English? I saw the German silent sci fi film "Metropolis" and loved it! So much so that I bought a copy of it on DVD. Considering its quality, I wonder if there are other German authors whose works are as worthy of being published internationally.

originally posted by neil

My 2p's worth… I liked "The Stone and the Flute" by Hans Bemmann but his "broken goddess" was a little less easy to read

originally posted by Neil

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/06/first-humans-sense-where-nort h-is-cyborg-gadget

These guys can sense north like clan born but I dare say these guys would go straight through the south gate, were it open :wink: