The Sundering Star

originally posted by Bec

Actually I do have a question :smiley: - on topic too! Does anyone know if we will see The Sundering Star in Australia. I have tried to find the other most recent anthology that Janny has a story in (sorry the name alludes me at the moment), but my local bookshops never carry that sort of thing (only reprints of Lord of the Rings - which is OK but I don't need an illustrated copy). I have tried to find it at our most common online stores but drew a blank there too. Any help would be appreciated.

Ta Bec

originally posted by Bec

Oh dear, have just realised that the new book is to be called "Under Cover of Darkness" - I should have checked before just looking at the topic heading. I think I might just disappear never to return…

originally posted by Trys

Bec,

Don't you dare disappear. :wink:

If you can't find it in your bookstores can they order it for you? If not, there's always Amazon.com.

Trys

Bec - welcome here. There are two anthologies with a story that is Athera related: one is out in hardbound and paperback, from Baen Books, edited by Bill Fawcett, titled Fantasy Masters (or Masters of Fantasy, can't check which at the moment, we're torn up tiling the living room and the shelf with it is BURIED). This can be ordered through Amazon.com or I am sure that certain interested specialty bookshops can import it for you and mail it. It is distributed to Commonwealth countries, but it had no publication beyond Baen's US edition.

The other is forthcoming, Jana Paniccia's and Julie Czerneda's anthology, Under Cover of Darkness, to come from Daw Books. You may need to go the same route for that one, but I don't know - Jana?

The stories are titled
Child of Prophecy and
The Sundering Star, respectively.

originally posted by Hunter

Hi Bec,

On topic:
Is it available here in the Land of Oz, but is a hard cover import so is probably not on the shelves as such.

Galaxy Bookshop has it listed - HC is http://www.galaxybooks.com.au/items.asp?id=274298 and pb http://www.galaxybooks.com.au/items.asp?id=339871

(Free plug Mark!) so you can get it from there. I suspect, if nowhere else, Under Cover of Darkness will also find it's way to Galaxy shelves and out to people's homes…

Off topic:
Western Force - they play the Brumbies at Subiaco Oval tonight…

Hunter…

originally posted by Sandtiger

Hi Bec,

I don't believe there is general distribution in Australia, though I am sure some bookstores could special order it. Galaxy was my first thought as well.

Amazon.com is also a good option. Or Amazon-uk. (Check the prices to see which is best for you.)

When in doubt, there is a great Canadian Bookstore that would always do a special order for you. It's called Bakka - www.bakkaphoenixbooks.com, and you'd just need to email them prior to the book coming out.

And if all else fails, let me know, and we'll work something out. :smiley:

Jana

originally posted by Mark Timmony

Galaxy Bookshop carries every single title that DAW puts out. We will definitely be carrying this one!

Thanks for the plug Hunter! :smiley:

And Masters of Fantasy is in the store in PB format.

Yay for Galaxy Bookshop and Mark!

For those who have read Child of Prophecy, in Masters of Fantasy - it has its own topic - feel free to speculate!

Some of the "facts" disclosed there tie into TK, and - you will get a "forerun" on some things that will out and develop in Stormed Fortress…

These little stories are NOT necessary to comprehension of the whole series - but - they are "bridges" in that, they will shed light on issues and deepen understanding of the series as a whole.

There have been three written - one published, one to come, and one not yet: but at DragonCon, those who attended the reading got to share that one!

DFWcon's reading is yet to come…what sort of surprises will the Dallas fans get??? Buy a plane ticket and see… :smiley:

Hi Mark,

No worries… I'll look forward to that complimentary copy of Under Cover of Darkness you'll send my way… :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Hunter

originally posted by Theresa

*delurks*

Janny--

DFWCon: SO looking forward to that…SO going to be there. :slight_smile:

*relurks*

originally posted by Bec

Thanks Hunter and Mark. I have seen mention of Galaxy here before - just a bit slow catching on I suppose. I will definitely get a copy of both books (not straight away for Under Cover of Darkness of course!!!). I don't usually buy anthologies - short stories are not really my "thing" but any background on Athera is great.

**Actually - currently looking for the Cycle of Fire series. These were the first books by Janny I read but we had a house fire in 2000 and I have been slowly trying to replace my precious books since then. The Cycle of Fire series must have been reprinted some time recently?? Unfortunately I can only seem to find the "Storm Warden" at the moment, any ideas if the other 2 books will be/are available? Also would love to get my hands on another copy of "Sorcerer's legacy". I scour second-hand books shops constantly - but only have one locally and reasonable quality books are hard to get (they must be readable!!). I live in the hope of seeing it reprinted** - I suppose I should have put this paragraph in a different thread?

Bec

P.S. the Western Force - what a laugh! - Pathetic (sorry Trys!)

THERESA SIGHTING!!! The mystical lurker, decloaked…I can't wait to see you, too.

Bec - Cycle of Fire series is currently op in the HarperCollins UK edition. However, HarperCollins USA has a very nice trade paperback omnibus - all 3 titles under one cover, titled Cycle of Fire. Perhaps Mark at Galaxy can import you one…?

There's been a whisper in the wings about -maybe- a new edition of Sorcerer's Legacy, but it's far too soon to relate any details as to how it might happen.

originally posted by Bec

Thanks Janny

Have seen the omnibus version advertised on the Dymocks online site (Australian bookshop) but when I ordered it (with To Ride Hell's Chasm) I got notified that it was no longer available - not even able to be back ordered. When I check Dymocks the next week it had been taken off their site - so don't know what was going on there.

I am crossing my fingers for "Sorcerer's Legacy"!!

Who may be doing the cover for a potential new edition of Sorceror's Legacy?

originally posted by Mark Timmony

Janny the US Cycle of Fire omnibus is listed as PERMANENTLY OUT OF STOCK with our supplier - basically that's just a step before Out-Of-Print. :frowning_face:

Unfortunately Bec you'll have to see if you can find it second hand. And also check if you can get the UK version of Sorcerer's legacy with the Geoff Taylor artwork (second hand) I understand that the text in this version is 'the author's preferred' edition. :smiley:

Mark - Thanks for the heads up, on that title's stock being down. I'll look into it.

Taking a moment to proudly announce that Under Cover of Darkness now has a publication date.

Yes Indeed, in February 2007, you will see my first anthology on shelves at a bookstore near you - containing Janny's fabulous story, "The Sundering Star"

Yes, there was much jumping in excitement at this news. It's amazing how much more real it is with an actual Shelf Date!

Jana

originally posted by Trys

Congratulations Jana!!!

Hi Jana - my applause. I posted your pub date on my Amazon Blog, and you are welcome to duck in there and post a plug if you want. (good idea)
Start the buzz early never hurts.

And now I get to chortle privately about what's IN this story…which will knock some socks flying. That was the intent, anyhow…

Oh - NO DOUBT it will!!!

And - yes, that is an ::evil grin:: - for those wondering. :smiley:

Jana