Thanks for the Empire Series

originally posted by Brian Clark

Hi Janny…

well, it is all coming to a head again in MOTE, and I am glad to say that following your recommendation, I have tracked down a hard cover edition of TRHC.

As my partner and I are going on a South Pacific cruise in about 6 weeks, I think I might time the start of this book so that I am about half way through it as I board the ship, and am reaching the conclusion somewhere near Tonga.

What a way to combine passion, excitement and delayed gratification!!

cheers

B

Brian - have a fun trip, on both counts!

Oh, and when you reach the last 1/3 of Hell's Chasm – try to do it when you won't have a thrilling shore excursion planned, or immediate scheduled fun…because when this book really winds into the finishing sequence, you won't have nice little leisurely "stopping points" - just a warning, the the pace picks up and by that point gets a bit relentless…

originally posted by Brian Clark

Dear Janny

Ok will do re: the last third of TRHC. By the way, I am just finishing up Re-reading A Darkness At Sethanon by Ray so I can get a good run into TRHC.

THE POINT IS THIS; I AM HAVING MY EYES LASER CORRECTED ON WEDNESDAY, SO YOUR BOOK WILL BE THE FIRST I WILL HAVE BEEN ABLE TO READ WITHOUT GLASSES…EVER!!

Quite an experience for me and I am sure an honour for you : )

I have some reservations re the surgery, but have wrestled with fear in my life before and so will put my credentials to the test, so to speak.

After all, the only things we can truely change in life is the way we feel about things.

I look forward to seeing you more clearly dancing behind each sentence. I never forget a syntax.

B

Brian – good luck with your surgery - Don had his eyes corrected some years back, and he said, the scariest part of the whole thing was the FORMS you had to sign off on beforehand.

It went swimmingly - as I am sure yours will, too. My thoughts are with you, all the way.

May the Man's hand be steady - take care, recover quickly.

originally posted by joshua bruce law

In defence of peter jackson remember that he filmed the three movies concurrently. there wasn't any running out os team by the third movie because it was filmed at the same time. the only things that were not done at the same time were the editing and special effects.

As for sam leaving frodo, that could not be helped as he did that in the books, it is key to why he took on the ring and became the last of the ringbearers to leave middle earth.

The characters that were the most glaringly changed were arwen and eowyn. But this i attribute to the breaking of the boys club that some film adaptations and re-doings have done (anyone seen oceans 11-12-13, julias character is a much bigger role than the original one).

And now back to topic. Mara is by far and away my favorite character from the riftwar cycle. followed distantly by arutha, jimmy, pug and miranda. of all creations by janny or raymond i fell in love with her the most. only arithon's deep compassion and depth can compare.
(it's a toss up for me, mara or arithon, who do i like more)

And as for who would play her in a film adaptation possibly the girl who played sparrow in the forbidden kingdom. if she had been younger i would have said Michelle Yeoh, she would play an excellent adult mara, able to stand up and stare down any overbearing arrogant ruling lord and not only show then she was their equal but humble them and show them she was their superior. I would hope against hope that they would Not choose Zhang Zhi Yi, because though she has done well with the roles she has done she would not suit Mara.

I could see Casper Van Diem playing kevin, or perhaps Tatum Channing. Both of them are big guys able to overshadow a lot of people. Jet Li could make a good Hokanu.

Though in casting it would have to be remembered that though the tsurani culture is more asiatic the people are not homogenous. though they are mostly short and lighter their features and colouring run the full gammit of human appearance.

originally posted by Trys

My complaint of Sam leaving Frodo is not a reference to when he leaves what he believes to be a dead Frodo which occurred after the Shelob encounter but rather the movie versions earlier departure on the stairs of Cirith Ungol before encountering Shelob. Sam would never, ever, ever, ever, ever leave Frodo unless he thought Frodo was dead.

Ah thanks for the clarification. I see and conceed your point.

originally posted by Trys

:smiley:

Who would you cast as Mara, Kevin and Hokanu in a movie adaptation? past and present actors are applicable.

originally posted by Jon Batchelor

* Spoiler Alert *

* Spoiler Alert *

You have been warned.

While I enjoy Ray's stuff quite a bit (though the earlier stuff grabs me more than the current stuff) I am pretty disgusted by his pretty much destroying Kelewan, and making sure that we can't ever have more stories about how the land develops after Mara's time.

I am fairly ticked off, though I will still keep reading the new books. And I am looking forward to eventually reading the Jimmy the Hand book. Got to do that fairly soon.

And there are few people who are as straight-laced as me when it comes to people ending relationships and starting new ones, I have to say the situations with Kevin do not bother me. Now Mara getting what's-his-name killed … I understand, but don't like.

SPOILERS!!!

Jon, I was very saddened about Kelewan's demise - when I heard about it (after the fact). Sigh. More than unhappy, disturbed…:frowning_face:

But it IS Ray's "universe" - he has the only say.

originally posted by Jeff

Spoiler? Spoiler? Spoiler? Spoiler? Spoiler? Spoiler? Spoiler?

Janny, I tend to read as an observer and just follow the events to see where they lead. While I was reading, though, I did wonder about your perspective on the events involving Kelewan. I would think you should have received at least a short note in advance.

In case you haven't yet and want to read for yourself, I'll just say that it's not necessarily the end for all of the peoples of Kelewan…and there is a kind of continuity from pre-Empire events.

Of course, I don't want to distract you too much from working on Arcs IV and V of WOLAS… (Now isn't that just a little bit selfish of me?)
***smile***

Jeff - I had no consult or say.

SPOILER!! SPOILER!!!

I do realize he "saved" the people and he thought it a necessity. If I'd been consulted (no obligation to on his part) I'd have looked for the grace of another (third alternative) solution to the problem.

But it was a done deal.

To reassure you - right now, I'm reading little, writing lots.

originally posted by Jake

I've just discovered this site, but I just wanted to let you know I think you're a fantastic author and I can't wait to read more of your books! Keep writing, please!

Hi Jake - welcome here! On the writing, you betcha. I love my job.

originally posted by Artyom Gulin

Heya just joined, i simply have to know for 100% certainty. i know you and ray have said alot of times that you will never do an actuall empire book ever agian. i just have to know is that 100% or just most likely. i would love to see some book or books about the empire in the early days. with familys attacking familys and the building and creation of the empire. that would give you guys alot more options to fiddle around since it wasnt really discuseed much. "sigh" i think i know the answer i just have high hopes

Hi Artyom Gulin - we have no plans.

A story about bloody politics that changes nothing - isn't my bag…I daren't say NEVER - but the truth is there is nothing on the radar/no plans/no discussion.

If you like bloody intrigue to the nth degree, I suggest you go read Martin.

Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm.

originally posted by Jake

I feel the Empire series was fully explored. The origins are not a mystery, by the third and final book. I do feel that there could easily be a million off shoots however (such as was done with Jimmy the Hand and Roo Avery). The struggle with any of them would be just like you said, not revisiting the same old bloody intrigue that makes up the world of the Empire. However, I do have to say some of my favorite characters were not always main characters. Arakasi(though most of the third books subplot was focused on him), Keyoke, the Thuril nation (and the wars they had), and the Choja magi. Any of these could have a book of their own in truth.

originally posted by Rebecca Dye

Hi - I haven't written on the message board before, which seems odd in retrospect since it was several years ago that I first read, and loved, these books.

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, them.

This was one of those series that had the double pleasure of being something that my mum and I shared. In fact, she still holds on to my old paperbacks! If I'm going to prize them away from her I'll need to give her some copies of her own.

Which leads me to my second point - I'm desperately trying to find some hardback versions with the UK cover art. So far I've located hardbacks on ebay and amazon with the US cover art, and while I know that the books are the same on the inside, if possible I'd really like to give Mum the UK versions.

I was hoping that someone on this message board might know where I could find some? My next port of call is the publisher…

originally posted by Laurence J Johnson

Hello one and all, I have just finished reading the Empire Series for the second time, I first read it several years ago.

It is a gripping yarn!