Stormed Fortress: Status Updates

originally posted by Blue

Gee, does that mean you need to change your screen name from JayJay to Smeagol or Gollum, precious?

:smiley:

originally posted by Jay_Jay

[quote]Oooh, you're teasing us. X3[/quote]

She's been taking lessons from an expert.

And it's called taunting!

originally posted by Sandtiger

AAAWWRRROOOO!!! For the teaser snip…

Go Janny!

Jay Jay?

::Snarf::

Glad I could be of service. It really is worth the wait. (But that I could shorten it by a bit for you - I am glad.)

Besides, that makes it one less book to pack for the move…and a guarantee that it won't get lost, ruined, or maimed by the packing.

::grin::

Sandtiger ::Who won't be around more than peeking in between packing boxes until after March 1st.::

You just better hope that I don't lose, ruin or maim it during MY move, dear Sandtiger.

Yea, I know, you trust me… :smiley:

[FYI, Sandtiger and I are both moving at the end of this month…not to the same place, though!]

::laugh::

And I desperately need to pack.

I spent most of today trying to get a (Insert word of your choice)virus off my computer. 9 HOURS. I couldn't run my virus scan, couldn't do an online update…nothing. I finally thought to go into safe mode and delete all files modified yesterday. (Couldn't do it in regular mode.)

I think I got it. I'm still trailing bits, but at least everything is working again. I just need to get someone to check my computer to make sure I don't have any harmful bits left that could affect either me or those I email.

I've never had a virus before - nor do I ever want another.

And when I throw my next newsgroup gathering? (As I did yesterday) I'm not letting *anyone* near my computer. If my computer is going to cause me difficulty…I'd rather it be my fault.

Sandtiger

originally posted by Wendy Collett

Sandtiger -

Have had this trouble, I feel for you. I stopped using the more popular antivirus programs such as Nortons, and started using AVG (free program) instead. Every time got a virus, Nortons wouldn't run, but AVG would, and caught viruses Nortons never did. AVG is very worthwhile, check it out.

In addition to this, I have also gone to Trend Micro website online, and had a virus check run online from their website of my computer when all else failed.

Hope this helps,

Wendy

::shudder::

Jana, reminds me of the time I picked up a worm, that would terminate my internet access so I couldn't download the removal tool, or update my virus protection (McAfee).

It was one time I was VERY glad to have my laptop. Its OS was immune to the worm, so I was able to download the needed program and transfer it to the infected desktop. What a nightmare, though!

Did you turn off the 'restore' function before rebooting? You have to do that in XP, or run the risk of getting the deleted files back again!

I don't know what the Restore function is…I managed to get rid of the file, but it's still in the start up because I get odd things saying it can't run. And my IE still doesn't work the way it should.

I am hoping to find a computer guru willing to take a look at some point soon. I'm leary of using the computer for anything but basic stuff until it gets looked at.

Sandtiger ::Who didn't need this right now::

Blasted thing isn't gone.

Sandtiger :: Off to try Wendy's recommended software! THANKS!!!::

originally posted by Memory

These things get right inside, and unless you know exactly what you're doing, you generally have to get some computer whizz to help you. Try googling for the name of the virus and directions as to how to get rid of it completely. I always find that while Norton might tell you you've got a virus, it doesn't really do a huge amount about it. So many times we've found the infected files, but for some reason, Norton says it can't quarantine them…

originally posted by ketrilla

In the norton virus notification window, click on the name of the virus and the norton webpage will come up with all the info on the virus, what it does and how to get rid of it and everything.

I tried that, but it didn't do me much good.

But, I've now invested in a new computer (With virus software and extended warranty) to go along with my new writing desk, bed, and bookcase.

I sort of went a bit overboard this weekend while I moved - figured I'd get everything I needed all at once so I wouldn't have to worry about it again. It just means I'll be eating kraft dinner for a few months.

But, for anyone who knows how much I wanted a writing area - I now have one!!! My computer should be hooked up completely in the next few days. Hopefully I'll be ready to roll on the weekend, when my cable and high-speed are connected.

In the meantime, I barely have access to the net and none to my hotmail.

Sandtiger

originally posted by Auna

Back to the main topic… when will Stormed Fortress be coming out approximately? Anytime before next year?

There is no release date on the map at all for this title - nor a publisher, yet. It's in submission…while, meantime, I work on the primary draft. When there is a glimmer of news, I will post it.

originally posted by Mark Timmony

There is no release date on the map at all for this title - nor a publisher, yet. It's in submission…

Even with HarperCollins UK?

Mark - that's where it's in submission…I just got word back this morning concerning the (long ago) query on the status of Peril's Gate and stock in Australia - it apparently was out of print briefly - but went back to press, which certainly indicates the support is there.

Just there is no way, at this stage, to promise a release date - asking before I have any answers just frustrates me, too.

There will ALWAYS be an announcement when I have reliable information, or changes to information that was posted, before due to circumstances within a publisher.

Thanks, Mark, for all you are doing to support this series in your bookshop - and thanks to every reader who's said good things, here, in other chats, and to friends. It makes a difference.

If any others want to help by turning their frustration into positive action, post a review on Amazon - the new release of the first three books has no recent comment on it, and TK's reviews are a little thin. Believe it or not, these things count!

If any series readers haven't tried out To Ride Hell's Chasm, that might scratch the itch a bit, or at least fill in the wait time.

I did a 'Fave Rave' review of TRHC in our Nexus newsletter a couple of months ago emphasizing that newcomers to your work who are daunted by the size of WoLaS should try this book first. If they like the writing style then they'll love WoLaS.

I'll look into posting reviews on the re-covered books too - gives me a good excuse to re-read them (not that I need it!) :smiley:

originally posted by Hunter

For any potential WoLaS reader, I would also urge them to read Master of Whitestorm… an excellent book with some more of the fantastical elements but a key character study…

Yeah, but (personally) I think Janny's writing (stylistically) in WoLaS is closer to TRHC than MW…

originally posted by Auna

Thanks for the update that there's no date yet. I just asked in case I missed something… I've been head deep in work lately and have been lax in reading this site. In fact, I'm at work on this nice sunny Saturday.