Stormed Fortress: Status Updates

Maddie -

Book Nook has my personal favorites, and many of my fans - your tastes can't be too wide of the mark. There are some excellent titles mentioned there.

Pub date for this volume - I will not say now as the dates spoken for are too tentative. When the book is locked in and on the publisher's catalog, then there will be an announcement here.

In the past, when I mentioned the early tentative dates, some folks took that as Final, and got really annoyed when the dates moved - as they very often do, so far out in the schedule. So - to avoid the blasts of frustration, this time, I am not going to play the same hand. Expect that the pub date will lock down after the book is handed in polished. Production takes quite a bit of time, so this will not be overnight!

Hold your horses - the wait will be worth it. You cannot DREAM of what this volume encompasses…trust me, you can't.

This said, ten set got into loose draft, yesterday, and as of today is wrapped, pending shifts and tweaks as the test reads sort thru.

Eleven - awright. Into the final dramatic punch, now, which finale will leave all else in the dirt. Better had, anyhow - it's ending an arc! If I don't floor you on this take, I've failed. :smiley:

originally posted by Wendy Collett

How many chapters (roughly) are there in the book, Janny?

I figure if you say you are into the 'final dramatic punch', maybe only 2 or 3 chapters to go or so? Or is that being a big optomistic?

Cheers, Wendy

originally posted by Derek Coventry

Hi All,
I've been a silent visitor for a while, but as eager as everyone to start on SF, but enjoying your thoughts. I often wonder how Janny finds time do all the many things she does though I do appreciate her teasing. Myself, I'm making no conjectures on the fates of different characters; whatever Janny decides will be fine by me. I'm presently reading Feist's "Flight of the Nighthawks" but have been taking my time; something I won't be doing when I purchase SF. Mind you knowledge of the publication date will allow a re-read of TK first.
And for Maddy, may I recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. It is another of my "Can't wait for the next one series" and has an excellent web page with a glossary of characters.

originally posted by Tadgh

Hows it goin everyone,
i've just been coasting through the sight as i tend to do, awaiting upon that glorious moment when a date shall be given for SF. It really is torture waiting for the next segment in this arc.
Janny, i would like to say/type that it is ur brilliant works that got me back into reading and now i cant stop. Thank you

P.S. Steven Eriksons "Malazan Saga" is worth a read if ur trying to bide time

Hi and welcome to all the new faces! (another batch of lurkers out of the closet, to much applause from me! Silence might be golden in some circles, but I never met a fan here I didn't learn something from - you guys are awesome!)

I expect 14 chapter sets for the finish of this arc…beginning 11, there's maybe two hundred something to go, then glossary, etc. I am aiming to finish within a page count that will allow the Appendix from TK USA edition to be included in British SF, with maybe some of the blown up maps. We'll see…I can at least ask.

Probably it's time for another teaser coming…I wonder what I can find that would not give away anything major…nothing from ten set, that's utterly certain! Apparently I can still blindside the test reads… :smiley:

originally posted by Laneth Shadow-Walker

Hello, greetings, Mae Govannen and G'day!

After taking a long break from the cyber world, I've
decided that I'd return to a magnificent land of
magic and intrigue - Janny's boards.

I once frequented these boards, but was intimidated
by the massive knowledge so many people showed on
Janny's series…I felt that my personal opinion of
myself as being a big fan was a little presumtuous.

But…I'm back now and am so deperately hanging
out for the next book. I remember when Traitor's
Knot came out I nearly died with relief, and
devoured the book in a matter a hours - deleting
all knowledge of the outside world to simply
enjoy the tale - (I took a day off work to read
all through the night and then dream of Paravia,
like the good old days…)

From the last time I was here, I was unemplyed and
pretty much a 'bum', but now am both working and
studying chinese mandarin, and have picked up my
… keyboard? and begun writing again, and came
out with a basic chapter one that blew me away
with the ease of which it came forward. It seemed
so right.
And my writing began the day after I put down
Shadowfane for a second time. OMG Inspiration.

And now, whilst waiting for SF, I have begun the
impossible task of following Pug through Ray
Feist's Magician, and the series thenceforth.

Enough of me, I really came to praise Janny for
all the work she's done, and to say that I haven't
forgotten her advice to me on how to go about
getting the WoLaS into a film :smiley:
(I'm a leo and so can get away with imagining
myself in the role of Arithon - my hair is now
the right length, and I'm almost perfected getting
my eyebrows to arch without making a weird face!)

Now I think that comment has will stir the pot
a little, I'll be back soon!

Blessed Be as Blessed Is,

Laneth

Status - well, I was so engrossed, I slipped past page 700 quite unremarked. Main chapter 11 is well along - let's see if I can complete it by the weekend. It is still looking like 14 sets to finish - things are taking about the space I estimated as the story winds toward finale which is really really satisfying - on schedule, on length! YES.

Hi back Laneth.

originally posted by juliana

One of the pleasures of reading is creating the visual in my mind. THe details change with rereads, new interpretations,skipping ahead to possible future "arcs". Its called imagination.
I would not like to see Janny's COtMW series on film. Cost and time restraints would whittle the story down to battle scenes (witness Lord of the RIngs )omitting or fundamentally changing characters and story lines.
I can see how it would be fun to stage the books as "home movies". FOr preparation may I suggest archery and fencing classes given at local community colleges!!

originally posted by Anthony Hunt

Maybe not a film, but how about a series? 25 episodes per series, one series per book.

I think if you had a team that cared about the story, it would translate very well.

I'd do the series in CGI (in a similar style to "Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within").

Janny - what's the latest chapter forward? Are they still a struggle?

I have another question (as always). Is seldie dead? Obviously Morriel has the remote control, but is there anything left of poor little Seldie? Or is her continued existence the reason the Fellowship haven't made Morriel a charred greasy spot on the floor?

Say hi to Don for me. I can't believe it's been three years since I visted!

Good luck with the next chapter. Let me know when to pre-order on Amazon.

originally posted by Bec

I really don't like my favourite books translated into films - I watch them because I feel compelled to but very rarely enjoy. BUT I did like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (mind you I bought the extended versions). Not the same as reading the book though. Even my children feel the same - we have read Narnia and they kept telling me the bits that were wrong with the film! I think I would rather just read Janny's books - there is way too much detail that just wouldn't come out in a movie/series (though series is better!).

As far as Seldie, she is possessed so she must still be there somewhere - otherwise Morriel would be like a necromancer (I think?). I did wonder the first couple of times I read the transfer scenes (??) whether they switched bodies, and Morriel killed off her old body - but I think it is that her body was souless as both conciousnesses were now in the one body. Could be wrong though :smiley:

I agree with Bec; a film could never do justice to Janny's work and I could never envisage any of Today's (or yet Yesterday's) actors as Arithon. I think we have to await the future when someone has invented the software that enables you to wear a headset as you read which transmits your imagination to a wallscreen. Now with that I could entertain my grandchildren!

Hi Anthony - welcome back.

You asked? Selidie's still in there, if you noticed, that's why the Fellowship could not act in direct intervention against Morriel, despite a gross breach of the compact.

Chapter 11 chugs along. Middlebits of it are in progress now.

originally posted by Steve Redpath

Great to hear the book is going well. Can't wait until it is out. It has been a truely awesome series and an worth every second of anticpation. So no pressure!(*Big Grin*)

originally posted by Trys

quote:

I think we have to await the future when someone has invented the software that enables you to wear a headset as you read which transmits your imagination to a wallscreen.

I'd rather hook it up to Janny, have her project the story the way she sees it and record it for all of us to see. :wink:

Trys

originally posted by RapierIan

Or, to quote an episode of "clerks: the animated series":

This film was drawn before a live studio audience

spinning on into the last scene of main chapter 11 - ah, it's building to velocity…I can feel that whammy tickle of wild ride inspiration to finish just around the next corner.

This book HAS to top all of them…no way it can't.

originally posted by Jo

Hey Janny

Any more sneak previews for us, oh go on, just a little bit pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeee.

originally posted by Myranda Rose

So, how many chapters are you aiming for? Difficult to estimate I guess as you do those tiny chapters as well, which I think works really well for the pace of things - another book I read recently: Origin by Stephen Baxter did something similar to keep the pace going.

The only problem with your fast paced books is that I can't put them down once I start, it becomes a sort of OCD type affair. Eating, sleeping, working, getting places on time ALL go out the window when I get a new book of yours! Maybe one day can you write a dull one like Lord Of the Rings so I can put it down a lot and get on with life :wink:

Only Joshing you, I think you're a great writer, your characters seem more alive than many other authors, and as I'm very much a people person that makes you one of my faves, others might manage action, or intrigue or whatever in stronger ways, but you make it feel more real because the people are more real - can't wait for the next installment.

I wonder though, with all the energy that seems to go into your books, with what seems like a big chunk of you, where do you get the time and energy to relax?

Myranda Rose - welcome here!

Relax…relax??? :wink:

Jo - hi, too, I'll see … last bit that I posted perhaps was a bit too tame (people were very quiet) - but that IS because the untamed bits of this book are a bit too explosive to reveal, prematurely…

if you could, what sort of scene would you WANT?

Wish I knew how to build a time machine so I could take a trip into the future and return with the fruit of your labour; you have me drooling with anticipation!