Stormed Fortress - It's a Book!

originally posted by John Liddall

I was going to wait - I really was because I am only up to Ships of Merior in my reread.

But I saw Mark's post, logged into his website and submitted the order.

I wonder if I can have the book sitting on the table and ignore it until I have been through all titles?

Mark!!! That is WAY COOL! Thank you so much for the lifting news!!!

And John - grin - good luck with that one! Just a note, if you finish your re-read after or before - you will see another angle of view. grin.

originally posted by Mary

Janny

That is a totally "evil" comment to make at this point! <grin>

Here I am trying to rush through Traitor's Knot (I did skip PG) before my copy arrives (Monday, I am told)…

As it turns out, I am somewhat glad the SF has not arrived yet. We had to have our dog put down this morning. She was a white german shepherd, almost 12 years old and had a truly wonderful personality. I wouldn't want to have tear drops spoiling my new book… :frowning_face:

On the otherhand it might have been a great distraction…

originally posted by arian soeting

SF arrived the other day. Just finished reading it. Beautiful. Thank you, Janny.

I read rather too much, all told. Some writers have good story lines. Some have good characters. Still others write good prose, or are blessed with the saving grace of humour. Fewer can claim two, or sometimes three, of these traits.
Of the scant handful who posess the full complement, you write the books I love best of all.

originally posted by arian soeting

SF arrived the other day. Just finished reading it. Beautiful. Thank you, Janny.

I read rather too much, all told. Some writers have good story lines. Some have good characters. Still others write good prose, or are blessed with the saving grace of humour. Fewer can claim two, or sometimes three, of these traits.
Of the scant handful who posess the full complement, you write the books I love best of all.

Mary – condolences on losing your lovely dog.

And welcome and thanks to Arian Soeting, and all the other new faces around here - what a pleasure to see a mass de-lurking.

Also - Thank You for those of you who have posted chat or reviews on Amazon, or anywhere else. Your appreciation is very wonderful - nothing, ever, beats genuine enthusiasm.

This book took so much to produce the depths, the heights, the twists and turns - you have no idea how GOOD it feels to see it hitting the mark with readers!

Evil comments ??? Wait till you see ARC IV - and truly, you haven't seen the whole of it YET!!

originally posted by Blue

Okay, gang, I am going to presume that Janny's above quote:

Wait till you see ARC IV - and truly, you haven't seen the whole of it YET!!

means that we had better stock up on nerve tonic.

Perhaps Arithon and the others should consider action against you, Janny, such as reporting you to the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Fictional Characters.

I suppose in the UK, Canada and Australia that would be the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Fictional Characters, right?

:smiley:

Hopeless smarty pants ENVYING the rest of you with you copies of book in hand.

:^P

originally posted by Meredith Lee Gray

Mary, adding my condolonscences to Janny's. I have not yet had to endure that experience, and I live in dread of the day (several years in the future I pray) that I do.

Coincidentally, here is an e-mail my grandmother sent me yesterday.

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old
Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa,
and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and
they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the
family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform
the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would
be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt
as though Shane might learn something from the experience

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for
the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.
Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any
difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's
death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are
shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly,
piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next
stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good
life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'
The six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that,
so they don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be
pure ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle
them gently.

We really need to emulate our dog friends.

------------------------------

Now, on topic, my book came on Friday. I'm sure you all heard my gigantic whoop! Fortunately, none of my neighbors were out to see the can-can like happy dance I did when I saw the book on my porch. And I just couldn't stop giggling. It was the darndest thing. But I was so happy I didn't care.

For once in my life I am managing to draw out and savor the experience of the new book. In the infamous words of McDonald's: I'm lovin' it.

originally posted by Clansman

Meredith:

Thanks for your message. I have loved that "Dog;s Advice" poem for years.

Mary:

My sincere condolences. Saying goodbye to a friend always hurts. The good thing is that you will always remember your dog with a smile, and a little catch in your throat. Just like I remember Robbie, the French-Canadian schnauzner, and Sully, the mostly-German-Shepherd-water-loving-tire-biting-Heinz-57 wonder dog.

They are really, really wonderful friends.

originally posted by DarthJazy

I hate to change the subject but can anyone tell me what the price would be on amazon for the book and have it shipped to arizona USA I tried but it wont give me the final price without putting my card number in which I dont have with me right now. Please let me know

Jaz

originally posted by Matt Wright

Finally got my copy in Mesa, Arizona today! It is unfortunate that I have to practice almost nonstop to get ready for my senior recital at the end of the month. If any of you live in the area you are of course invited…if all goes well it will be a good recital. (I am sure that I will be able to find some time to read SF :smiley:)

originally posted by Konran

My copy arrived today and it's beautiful :smiley: I will probably start reading tomorrow as we have peoples over for a D&D geekout session (grr I'd tell them all to go home so I can read but that's not quite kosher, is it?)

originally posted by Mary

Still no book. Maybe tomorrow? Here's hoping!

Meredith, I loved The Dog's Purpose. I had to print it off and show it to some friends at work. Thank you so much.

Janny, I haven't even got Stormed Fortress and already you're teasing us about Arc IV? <grin>

This must be so much fun for you - "watching" us squirm away while we're resisting the spoilers…

originally posted by Derek Coventry

Once upon a time I could bury my head in a book and forget time and almost all else until I had finished it. It quite often led to sleepless nights! Now I've reached an age when it is so easy to fall asleep that I restrict myself to a set number of chapters before putting my book aside (to avoid damage from falling from my lap!) I'm enjoying reading slower as I'm able to absorb the story better. However after reading these pages the past months and enjoying Janny's teasing input I've discovered an additional factor. As I immerse myself in SF there are parts where I can almost hear her chuckle.
Thank you Janny. SF is all and more what I hoped for.
Oh and Meredith, you've brought tears to my eyes.

originally posted by Jo Zawacki

I just checked my card statement, and it looks like it was a few pennies under $33.00. Mine was shipped to New York State, so I don't know what your charge will be…

(and yes, I'm another lurker who is now out in the open)

A wave of welcome to Jo - and all the other new names…gosh, I'm losing track.

There were really that MANY in the lurker gallery???

So glad you discovered we don't bite.

originally posted by DarthJazy

Hey I got bit several times when i came out of lurkur status. But of course I likes it and thanx for the info Jo.

originally posted by Sundancer

Hi all,

We picked up our copy, my son and I, and drooled over the cover, and the extra maps, and speculated over the events, then he ran off with it!

My dilemma is that I haven't finished re-reading the other books in Arc III, so do I give in to my impatience and read it now, or wait, so that I pick up more nuances in the new book. Having just read 'Sundering Star' I'm not surprised (from the sneak peek of chapter 1 of SF) that the Biedar start to figure in a larger way.

It's worth the re-read - each time I do I understand more and pick up new things - and sometimes it's just Janny's use of language and imagery, bringing to life the places, and sometimes it's a fuller understanding of the thinking and motives behind an action such as Lysaer being cast out of the compact. And DarthJazy I think I understand more about Lysaer's appeal.

When do we get to start speculating on Arc IV? I'm starting to wonder if the Fellowship will survive to the end of the series - so many ways they could move on …

Welcome to all the lurkers, from a lurker who dips her toe in now and then.

Thanks Janny in anticipation of a very exciting read - my son is half way through and keeps threatening to tell me bits: he let some morsels drop this evening about the Fellowship.

originally posted by alexith

That is nice that you and your son both read the books. I have been telling my sister for years that she should. She hasn't quite gotten around to it yet, but we made a deal this week - I would read a book she wanted me to read if she started on this series.

originally posted by Sarah Jump

Alexith, thats funny I made a similar deal with my husband I would read Asimovs foundation books if he would start CotM :smiley: