Stormed fortress hard cover

originally posted by Walt

Hmmmm… I wonder how much it would be to express dry-ice ship my locally famous italian chicken soup to entice a mind-boggling preview…

Of course, you couldn't let Don have any in front of the keyboard…

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

A snippet would be wonderful!

Also, not to start us on the hardcover thing again, but I own a hardback copy of stormed fortress that I purchased in Iowa. I got it from a bookstore here. It has a painting of Arithon on the cover and is normal sized for a hardback. Is this the british book club edition?

In which case, I feel even luckier for having purchased it when I did.

Hope you're feel 100% again, Janny. :smiley:

Kirsten:

There was NEVER a copy of Stormed Fortress issued with Arithon on the cover, in ANY format…are you quite Quite certain you are not referring to Traitor's Knot?

If you DO have a hardback of Stormed Fortress with Arithon on the cover, purchased in Iowa, I'd appreciate knowing what it looks like, WHO PUBLISHED IT, where the book seller got it - and what the text looks like inside - because it would be inside and out a pirated edition, past any question, outright robbery of my rights, and my publisher's contracted terms.

All is well, Janny.

I was at work when I made my last post. When I got home I looked at the copies of your books that I own. I got the covers mixed up in my head. The version of Stormed Fortress I have is the british book club edition. It was another hardback that I was thinking of that I did buy here.

Sorry for the confusion. Teaches me to wait until I'm certain before I write anything on here.

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Blast! Worries of copyright and contract infringement will have banished the looming snippet to the back of the Talespinner's thoughts…and all that cajoling, coaxing and just plain groveling will have to be repeated… :wink:

*Is at once happy that there's no piracy found, and tired at the prospect of returning to Snippet Square One…*

'Tis truly a labor of love, this excerpt extraction…

Excerpt exraction :0 takes a lot of time, yes!!! Going back through the pages to find something that won't go bang! too hard.

The last 48 have been nonsense: taxes, hay delivery, music lesson, shopping, clean-up for dinner guests in the late week, tropical summer horse care, farrier, people coming IN to pick up hay left here, - augh! - and a dinner bit to plan for the book club…eyes dusty furniture askance.

Today I write anyway!!!

Maybe that excerpt light will go on and I can thumb through some pages to see what fits…

Mark, next time I will just keep my mouth shut (or my fingers still) when a snippet is looming.

Please give us a snippet, Janny.

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Not at all, milady. The inkling prospect of a US hard back Stormed Fortress, impossible at best and illegal at worst though it was, got me wishing and hoping for a legit Initiate's Trial hardback again. And I'd been doing so well with my 12-step recovery program…:wink:

Dusty Furniture? You didn't have Sethvir over for tea, did you Madam Talespinner? Not one to talk here, of course; the white glove would be black before it finished testing my humble abode…

originally posted by Trys

Isn't dust God's decoration?

I like that.

If Sethvir had been in for tea, do recall how he dried out his soaked carpet in Ships?? I'd ask for the similar remedy for the dust. The actualized Paravian words for 'get packing…'

originally posted by Konran

I have been hanging out at the local Borders a lot lately doing chainmail with a friend… recently we had another person join us and we got to talking books… Of course I pimped out WoLaS. He's got a paper with Janny's name, book titles, and website written on it… *throws a bit of encouragement at Her Royal Authorness for snippetage*

originally posted by Sandtiger

Isn't dust God's decoration?

::laugh:: I am going to use that expression from now on.

originally posted by Tracy Schultz

For those of us who languish in the US, is there perchance a possibility of a US release of Stormed Fortress in hardback? I've been collecting the series and have lovingly cared for and read each one and alas a paperback would not be quite up to par with the rest of my collection.

Hi Tracy Schultz - welcome here.

I've made yet another bid, trying to get this through. I have NOT HEARD BACK, yet. (fingers very hopefully crossed)

NOW is the moment to write to my publisher (HarperCollins, UK, Voyager) and let them know of your interest.

I really hope this happens, and we can all celebrate. Thanks so much for your interest.

originally posted by Melanie Trumbull

My apologies to the old-timers here, as the info in this post is recapitulation,
and will be redundant for them.
This is for the new forum member who posted a recent query
about editions of Stormed Fortress.
This well-meaning member posted the query to a Ships of Merior topic thread,
allowing as how there might be a more relevant thread/topic area for his query.

The editions question boiled down to the distinction
between formats, as follows:
the mass-market paperbacks, small in size;
the trade-size paperbacks, which although not hardcover books,
are larger and easier to read than the little mass-market paperbacks;
hardbacks of limited printings from regional book clubs;
hardback editions directly from the publisher.

The member who recently posted,
has collected all the hardcover editions he could
of the Wars of Light and Shadow series titles.
Stormed Fortress is the exception and he wanted to know more
about what was available in the Stormed Fortress title,
in terms of format.

Several years of responses to this question –
and yes, this forum is certainly the place for the question –
can be simplified in my post here and now.

Stormed Fortress is a series title for which softcovers are the norm.
Compare this with the much earlier Warhost of Vastmark.
Warhost of Vastmark, in the United States,
was strictly a soft-cover release.
However, the UK publisher printed Warhost of Vastmark
in a limited edition of hardcover,
as well as the softcover.

Stormed Fortress varies from Warhost of Vastmark format/publication
in that,
only a UK book club edition, a limited printing,
presented Stormed Fortress in hardcover;
copies of which are mostly in situations
where they won't go back on the market,
be it collections in libraries
or private owners.

Stormed Fortress is most commonly available
in mass-market paperback;
one has to look long and hard to find
trade-paperback format copies of Stormed Fortress,
although some used trade-paperbacks are out there.
(I bought one of the latter myself, second-hand,
so I would have something larger to read
than the little mass-market paperbacks.)

Warhost of Vastmark, in the USA, was included in the hardback edition of Ships of Merior - the volumes are labeled part I and Part II, in the text; originally they were meant to be one title (Ships of Merior) but were split in two due to the size of the book - made it difficult to bind.

So if you are collecting US editions in hardbound, Ships of Merior includes Ships and Warhost in that edition.