Status report

I've been trying to see if Amazon.com can update their release dates, etc for TK (and/or let US reviews be posted).

Basically, over the past couple of days they've confirmed that their web database entry for TK will only be updated once they physically receive the titles into their fulfillment centers and scanned them through their normal data entry systems.

Here's hoping they process them as soon as they get them from Diamond, for those of us with outstanding Amazon.com orders, and for any others wishing to order through Amazon :smiley:

Here's an extract from their latest response if you're interested in more detail:

"Our Customer Service centers are not in the same location as our fulfillment centers. Amazon.com offers hundreds of thousands of items in our own inventory, and the fulfillment center buildings enclose millions of square feet. In addition, many of our fulfillment center processes are automated and computerized.

We hope you'll understand that with several million items listed on our web site, it is difficult to keep all of the entries up-to-date.

However, as soon as we receive any further information regarding this item, our web site will be updated soon…"

Andrew

originally posted by Mark Timmony

Hmmm, I'm waiting for Baker & Taylor to get their stock of Traitor's Knot US too.

originally posted by tempest

I called Borders and they say it wont be shipped from their distribution center in Tenn until 6/14.

originally posted by Jay_Jay

[Insert goggle-eyed smilie at the sight of Tempest's name…]

Uhhh…tempest…you don't happen to hang out at TORC by any chance, do you?? (For the uninitiated, that's Tolkienonline.com, formerly TheOneRing.com) If not, you've got a namesake over there (Tempest with a capital 'T'!)

[Sunsilver wants to know if she's being stalked by a certain bad-assed RP character]

originally posted by Annettevak

David. I am in L.A. right now but I actually got my Master's degree from the University of Toronto. I lived there for 5 years before that I was in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I really miss Canada though.

Jay Jay,
I do not hang out at TORC, I have been a BARfly at Baen.com publishers for many years. Also I am a Freeper at freerepublic.com under a different handle.

I took the name tempest as posting name from the Bard since I enjoy Shakespeare plays and have a subscription to the Shakespeare Theatre in Washington DC.

originally posted by Frank T Davis

Y-A-H-O-O-O!! Today received my copy of TK from Amazon.com. Ordered it on 10 Nov. 04. So if you've not yet received your Amazon order, there is hope.

The book is one that appears to be well put together. I really like the several illustrations and the many additional maps. The several new add ons ("Story Time Line What Has Gone Before, The Appendix, and the Glossary) will be most helpful. Thanks Janny. My only wish is that TK could have had around 800 pages. I dearly love those really thick books.

Now gotta hurry and finish Michelle West's "Hunter"s Death" so I can get into TK.
Frank

Frank Davis
Where are you? I am waiting for my order to be shipprd from Amazon and is still has not been shipped.

originally posted by Mike Morency

Barnes and Noble booksellers returned my email today regarding the information I had provided them about the release of Traitor's Knot. I don't claim credit - it's likely they've finally received the updated information from the publisher. (email removed) have updated their website and are filling orders for the book. Of course, this means the retail stores should have a copy of the novel on the shelves by the end of the week, latest.

As always, it is better to buy the book from a bookstore rather than from the publisher or online. The retailer will order more books when their stock is sold, likely thus increasing their next order, their paperback orders, and other stock by that author. On the shelves, these books are more likely to be advertised, have more shelf space devoted to them, and catch the eye of browsers. Help support your favorite authors in this fashion!
Regards, Mike

originally posted by Trys

Apparently date of order placed with Amazon.com has no relevance to when they fill the order. I placed an order for TK with them on September 7, 2004 and no indication that they are preparing it for shipping.

Trys

originally posted by Frank T Davis

Tempest,
I'm located in western central Louisiana in a little town called Many.

Trys,
I complained to Amazon back in January and they sent me a $5 gift certificate which I have already cashed in on new books from them. Maybe "the sqeaky wheel gets greased" ? It could also be that I order lots of books from Amazon?
Frank

Frank,

I'm happy you got your copy.

As to greasy wheel, no I haven't complained… just did. :smiley:

As to Amazon purchases… I haven't been in a mall in years. Virtually all my books, music CDs, movie DVDs, kitchen items, small appliances, etc are bought through Amazon.

However, I expect to be buying my SF/F from Clarkesworld from here on out.

Trys

originally posted by Deborah McNemar

Amazon.com assigns a DC when the order is placed. Depending on which DC it is, when they get the books in their location and how much other stuff is going out, all factors into when you get your book. :stuck_out_tongue: I live in a town with a DC and my stuff still comes in from another DC. Go figure… Complaining does help some since that order is then annotated with the complaint and it sort of jogs the computer, lol.

Deborah,

Amazon sent me one of those lovely canned/scripted responses that did nothing to address my questions. I hate those. Definitely time to start spending less money there.

Trys

originally posted by neilw

I have had positive responses from Amazon.co.uk when I have had problems. During the last 12 months I have had something damaged or late…they shipped again free of charge.

There was a mix up one time but it was to due me not explainly clearly enough what I needed. The customer complaint email address is well hidden though at the end of a "well…if all of these automatic responses are not the solution to your problem, sigh…I guess you can contact a real employee to describe your problem" weblink trail :smiley:

So for me they are still offering a good service.

originally posted by Scott W

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Meisha Merlin? I have emailed them with no response.

I have moved since I placed my order with their website, and I want them to ship to my new address. I should have just ordered from Neil over at Clarkesworld, but I guess I didn't realize that he would be carrying it.

originally posted by Ryan Gohl

I have the same issue as Scott. I have been trying to contact Meisha Merlin to either check on my order status, or to go ahead and cancel and pick up the book elsewhere.

originally posted by Chad Jenkins

I got tired of waiting and cancelled my Amazon order on 6/9. I ordered directly from Meisha Merlin on that same day with a request for a FedEx tracking number.

They never replied to my order inquiries, but they DID charge the order on the 12th and ship it on the 13th. I received it today in good condition from FedEx.

I'd say that despite their communications difficulties, ordering directly from Meisha Merlin is the most expedient way to get the book.

Regards,
Chad

originally posted by Wayne McCalla

Don't forget that as of right now Meisha Merlin is a 2 man operation. Actually 1 man 1 woman operation.
With Lynn just getting back into the swing of things after a new baby. So inquiries may be delayed by a few days.

What did you put in subject line? Maybe if you put in something like change of delivery address or something like that it may get noticed.
I have heard that sometimes that MM will get 50+ emails for people just inquiring about an order that if they answered them all they would never have the time to do anything else.

Because I had something similar with an order and new email address and cc problems took Lynn a couple days to respond.(This was before baby) :smiley:

And don't forget if emailed on Friday most likely only Lynn because Stephe will be attending cons to promote the books in the dealer's room. So figure most likely he wouldn't be there Thurs and monday because of travel(if far away) and most likely Lynn isn't there on Sat\Sun.

Wayne

originally posted by Nancy Brown

My copy arrived from Amazon on Tuesday–and I'd made no complaints. :smiley: The illustrations are lovely! I'm located in a small city in north Georgia not known for getting things first so I'm guessing everyone will have their copy quite soon. Unless I got lucky because of the physical proximity of Meisha Merlin to the Amazon warehouse that would ship to me …

Nancy