Song of the Mysteries Status Updates

Oh, I see it! That is a nice painting!

Official update: I am now 2/3rds done the heavy lifting of the final polish. A little slower than I’d like, but June/July had some setbacks (family issues) and other little bumps in the road (animal health) - all fine, just for awhile there I was juggling way too much! No panic, please, everything is A-OK. Just those sorts of aggravations that impact keeping a tight schedule.

To answer Annette: once I get the text ironed out and completed, I have a whole lot of painting on my plate, so finishing that picture is on the list.

5 Likes

On a happier note, there are several book tubers planning in depth discussions of the series, first one hosted this Saturday for Vol I. All welcome for the live stream event, announcement soon.

4 Likes

I have lurked for years and never posted here, but I just wanted to take the opportunity express my appreciation not only for all the updates over the years (it makes the waiting much easier and really shows how you value your readers) but also for producing this wonderful series. I’ve been reading WoLaS for over half my life - I first read the series when I was probably 13-14, maybe even younger, and am now 30 - and have re-read 3-4 times over the years as new books were released. I’ve always been a prolific fantasy reader and this has remained one of my all time favourite series for so many reasons, but particularly the fantastic character building. It will be bittersweet to see it end but i’m so excited to see how everything comes together. I mostly read e-books these days but will definitely be purchasing a physical copy to finish off my collection and will be reading that for old times sake (and taking the release day off work so I can finish it in 1-2 days!).

Thanks for all your hard work Janny!

4 Likes

An update from Twitter:
https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1565447843581771778

4 Likes

An update from Twitter:
https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1569374207192039424

5 Likes

And another from the Twitterverse:
https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1572315337630031874

3 Likes

Such great news! So looking forward to this! And a due re-re-read to fully appreciate the finale!

1 Like

Recent update from Janny via Twitter:

Last pass fine tune, Chapter Set 8

Song of the Mysteries, finalizing the fully edited draft finale War of Light and Shadow.

3 Likes

From twitter, a sneak peak, with a typo.

https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1593629388314116097

So there are at least two people there.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting, because I don’t have twitter!

1 Like

I also appreciate the updates shared here.

Update from Janny’s via twitter!

Janny Wurts

I am starting into last pass on Chapter Set 12, of 18 total; Song of the Mysteries/finalizing the edited (finished) draft. Finale of Wars of Light and Shadows - let’s see if I can make the last pass to finish by New Years’. Then it’s entry of hand marked changes and proof.

4 Likes

Thank you to everyone sharing Twitter updates, as I’m not always the first one to see them.

I’ve received a few questions about what’s going in the different phases of manuscript editing. Why, for example, is Janny currently on Chapter Set 12 when she was on Chapter Set 18 several weeks ago? Well, the “Last Pass” she’s doing is done in reverse!

Here is some information from Janny that should help you all decipher the different phases she talks about (Click the image to enlarge).

6 Likes

Update from Janny regarding Song of the Mysteries!

Finishing up the 13th chapter set, last pass, Song of the Mysteries, with five sets and a fraction left to go.

5 Likes

I am through chapter 14 main, starting the subchapters for that set. Pretty good progress for silly season.

Here’s a snippet from on page:
‘All the good and the bad impelled by his choices led him to this brutal crux.’

Which character do you think this applies to?

Happy Holidays however you celebrate!

4 Likes

Dakar.

Happy Holidays and New Year Janny!

Well the snippet could really apply to multiple characters, but we hardly ever get to see what Arithon thinks, and he plans well ahead and is not likely to regret his choices at this point. Lysaer might be thinking it but probably not willing to accept it, so I go for Dakar!

Thanks for the snippet Janny.

1 Like

I agree with Jeff and Annette. Dakar was first to come to my mind!

1 Like

I am starting into last pass of Set 15, of 18, so definitely into the thick of finale spit and polish.

And - bwahahaha - you are all wrong. Not Dakar. Not Arithon.

2 Likes