Sneak Preview #5 - retort to the lousy blurb

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Spot on regarding the F7, Jeff; not a club one can join!

Definitely going to still be plenty of traces of the spell for the wraiths to follow, even 200 years later (Any number of trees live that long or longer…we had an almost 400-year-old Tulip Poplar in our backyard until Hurricane Isabel basically destroyed it, for example). I'd go with this before Rockfell, unless someone tampered with Rockfell in the interim…

originally posted by Maggie

Pablo – In regards to your English grammar question, I believe that Dan was joking. "Putting in my five cents" is not an actual English expression. I believe he was suggesting (jokingly) that his comments are worth more than two cents; thus the 5 cents.

As far as the rest of the discussion goes, I believe that the debt owed that the fellowship goes to the sister-house to repay in an earlier snippet may be the help they are giving the fellowship in this one with the wraiths.

Although the timeline does not seem to quite work out in my head. My guess is that there is a not totally linear progression in the book, where you start in the middle or end and then flashback to where the last one ended. Otherwise, in the time Arithon is fighting wraiths, everyone he knew has basically died, and I don't think that happens. Too many loose ends for that! … Unless of course the fellowship is holding him in some sort of stasis, then as much time can pass for him as needed to free all the wraiths as nessesary! And if I recall correctly, the Fellowship can (and has) most definitely stopped time. Mayhaps there is a double use for the prison he is being held in – to prevent the wraiths from accessing his memories as well as to stop time from passing in the outside world.

originally posted by Robert B Finegold, MD

Just "thank you" for the snippet excerpt. Look forward to the rest.

originally posted by Danielle

Great

originally posted by James A. Messick III

Possible Spoilers Contained…(SF)
Possible Spoilers Contained…
Possible Spoilers Contained…

prior captivity, a prison of wards, an old woman wearing a violet robe with 9 bands…

Something is up and I'd think that before jumping too far in I need to reread stormed fortress for more clues. I must assume that, he is haunted by his terrors still from the time when he was entrapped and sacrificed by the necromancers. In fact my last memory is him fleeing in disguise on a ship and being recognized by Sulfin Evend. However, Sulfin's daughter is to begin possibly setting the trap for Lysaer's attentions… or was that descendant? Another thing to take into consideration is if Elaira was forced to betray herself and Arithon by way of Prime Command. I kind of doubt some things have changed but, I do wonder if as time has passed did the Koriani cast off their sickly sweet efforts of Charity/Kindness in their efforts to guide/Force man's destiny? Use of the Command to compel in Arithon's capture is an overt display and brute force… but it may have precedent especially in how they had tracked Feylind's ship and wrote a rune compelling the conception of a girl-child which raises how the girl might save her father at one point. Most notable is that the Lyranthe and the Wraith might not have entered in the wards at the same time. Though given the way the Wraiths are beings able to jump ahead in time by a small/large amount(supposition) makes the wards something interesting. I do recall a speculation by the Fellowship saying that Arithon as Masterbard may be able to suss out the Wraiths' names and thereby grant them rest.

Just to trash a few things… I don't think is Arithon entered anything of his own will he'd do it by being shackled into it or being so damned pissed off about it. I get the feeling that as soon as he gets out he's going on a rampage. There is no beast more terrible then on that is pissed off and guided by compassion. They usually know just the weakpoints to hit to get the reaction/punishment that they want. Compassionate Correction *must ponder* I seriously doubt that the Fellowship will do the underhanded thing of capturing and then pawning off the blame on someone else. That sounds too much like backsliding to me. I have to wonder who you were thinking of when you said it might be them… So far the fellowship has been trying to keep the welfare of humanity as well as the Paravians in mind with the Paravians winning out when there is an obvious clash and one must give way. In all the chapters I don't think i've come across on bit that said they had restrained anyone against their will. I cry foul on their behalf.

Personally, I think there was a lure and trap in more ways then one. I'm thinking perhaps Elaira, koriani, Lysaer and his false religion might have been involved with Koriani making off with the prize. To be honest… I think the prison and what takes place there is more likely of a Koriani working. Its more in tune with them than the fellowship. Here's hoping for the rage of ages… though some good may come of it if he gets to own his whole self again.

Adonelos

originally posted by Hunter

Arithon has consistently stated that he does not want to be the reason the Paravians fail to return to Athera. Given the Paravians left in the face of the Mistwraith, if the remaining wraiths on Marak arrive on Athera further threatening the survival of the Paravians, I would think Arithon would voluntarily submit to whatever was required to ensure Paravian survival.

Just re-reading FP and came across Dakar's augury on Kaithtarr where he foresaw Arithon playing his lyranthe as the decades slip by in slow agony… page 135 of Aust/UK trade paperback.

originally posted by Tadgh Moriarty

possible spoilers contained

I conclude somehow arithons finally being captured and moiraine is trying to use him to clear the waystone, his memory has been tampered with so he doesn't realise his full potential and escape, but in tampering with his memory this also allows the mistwraith the chance to try and gain control thus the mortal peril.
As for the fellowship bowing to moiraine's threats she seems to forget that all of humanity live on their mercy and with the arrival of a drake I would say moiraine may have finally pushed her luck. I mean they would want to save humanity but it doesn't actually mean they will.
Big question is will arithons daughter or offspring be the one to rescue him. The desert rats used to have ties with the koriathian.
Lastly will ciladis be released from his sleep inthis one…

Whoops! I think you mean Morriel. Moiraine is from Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan. :smiley: WOT was a good series, but its got nothing on Janny!

I like to think that Morriel has pushed her luck once too far and the Fellowship steps in. That would make me VERY happy :smiley:

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

Haven't read WOT yet, so thanks for reassuring me Maggie - In the circles I travel here in Aus all I hear is Robert Jordan this, that…

While I can concede that he's good, our beloved Janny is just so much better - if only people would swollow their personal bias towards RJ being the best and just read Janny's work(s)…

originally posted by Tadgh

whoops my bad. We'll say it was a typo but I'm sure everyone got the gist of who I was on about.
hides blushes…

So, using a section of Janny's sneak peak number 5, I used this super cool website,
http://iwl.me
to determine that Janny apparently writes most similar to Mary Shelley!

Kindof a neat tool, thought you might all enjoy playing with it.

Disclamer: the fine print says that this does NOT store any text, and only uses it to analize, so I was not sharing the sneak peak anywhere!

originally posted by Angela Bawden

I think that Arithon is being used (willingly or unwillingly) to fight and Name the free wraiths that are invading from Marak. Janny did say specifically "free" wraith, so that means it can't be the mistwraith…although that would be cool.
And from the other sneak peaks, he must somehow get free…I'm thinking he might break free. Why? Because it sounded like it's the Koriani that have him. Or (thanks for the thought provoking post) it could be one of the beidar Matriarchs…possibly his daughter or descendant?
Whatever the case, this experience will give him a whole new level of mastery of Naming entities…he might possibly be able to free Lysayer eventually by himself with his unique and potent talents.
I CAN'T WAIT!!!
[and BTW, Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time series is GREAT!! I am so pleased that Brandon Sanderson is doing the series justice in finishing it off]

originally posted by Julie

De lurking after a while…

Arithon has always rebelled against any shackle, physical(captivity) or social(kingship). I agree with Hunter that his blurb may represent Dakar's augery and that Arithon would willingly do anything to save the Paravians. Clearly something major happened to break the fragile protections laid down by the F7 and a deal was made with the Koriani.
As far as Arithon's daughter- her fate as told by the Bedar elder was to save her father. If joining the Koriani is the means for that so be it. Arithon is the key cipher not his potential heirs.
James- Sulfin Evend's descendant' role is to be Caithdien to Lysaer, his moral compass. Her allegience is to the land once she takes the vow. She is not setting a seductive trap.