Sneak Preview #1

originally posted by Hannah

Juliana,

AND I sincerely hope that all those who have come to Janny's defense are as well informed and passionate about events occuring in the real world- especially those readers living in America.

Confused about what you're implying with that statement. It just seems wildly out-of-context with your actual post…

Hannah

originally posted by Susan Canterbury

Julianna,

No one attacked Lauren. People responded concerning their own feelings towards the series-they expressed their opinions on the series on Lauren. It was a good discussion without rancor. I have read Chaucer(a family favorite) and Shakespeare, and I adore the works of Sir Walter Scott.

Like many Americans, I am well informed and passionate about events occurring in the real world.

originally posted by Hunter

Juliana,

Whilst the terms "well informed", "real world" and "living in America" perhaps don't automatically spring to mind as a natural association and defining characteristic, are there specific events you had in mind with your post?

originally posted by Hannah

No need to read between the lines in Hunter's post. Same old happy song-and-dance routine from that quarter.

originally posted by juliana

From all the comments I have read in the Chat Room it is clear that WOLS fans tend to be detail oriented, puzzle solvers, and (most important)- good readers. So I was curious as to whether these same traits and the motivation behind the chat room dicsussions translates to other parts of their lives. Do you act on your information? i.e. do you vote?
Hunter: Pick an event- there are many to choose from!

originally posted by juliana

Was that too heavy?
Honestly I am not from the CIA, FBI,NSA,RNC,DNC,NRA, any PAC, or the PTA

originally posted by Auna

I can get a bit frustrated with Arithon's self suffering when I'm doing rereads. If there is any weakness to the story I'd have to say the suffering went on too long :p.

I also know of another person who mentioned they felt the last book didn't progress at all. However, while the situation may still be the same - clans in trouble, Paravians missing, humans with axe over their heads, F6 too strained, Koriani plotting - I felt Arithon made huge leaps in growth mentally which got me very excited (probably because of too many books of him emotionally crippled). So I think a ton of progress was made to advance the story, just not the traditional advances that perhaps some readers were hoping for.

I read these stories and enjoy them for the complex characters. There are no villains, there are simply people doing what they feel is right who wind up conflicting with other people doing what they feel is right, much like real life. I worry about what will happen to each character, even Morriel/Selidie. That's a rare thing to feel since most stories have more purely evil antagonists. I also enjoy the language and imagery used even though I know that drives some people to irritation based on some reviews I've seen. Finally, I can reread and reread these books and see what people come up with on this forum and gain even more insight/info with each rereading. I don't really know of any other series like that.

As for endings… I'd love to see hopeful resolutions for everyone, but I think that this will probably be more reality based (some happy some sad endings). Some of the best stories I like have absolutely mournful endings, so I might sob and hurl the last book across the room if bad things happen but that's ok as long as it makes sense. Though I don't tend to reread the sad tales as often as the happy ones so Janny please don't make this one too sad :wink:

If you think you can guess the ending of this story from here, you're in for a groundshaking whammy. (grin).

It amazes me how people presume they can see the resolution and that it has to be (fill in the blank).

Presumptions are going to let you down, labels are going to blow up, and we'll see about what you think of the ending when you get there.

Resolution, not disappointment. This is not a journey for the faint-hearted but I don't recall Anywhere leaving any hint on the page as to HOW this story will complete itself…if you think you saw a definitive hint, look again - check the SOURCE of the opinion and ask if you trust it.

; )

(oh yeah, and I am squirming a bit, laughing, since I KNOW that the chapter I'm completing today is going to seriously rattle and shake up a few test readers…probably.)

I know I won't predict the ending of this story, it's way too complex. I'll just settle for preparing for everyone to die and hoping to be pleasantly surprised :wink:

originally posted by shahina daar

Resolution? yes. ending totally? in two minds- i i love the series and like many others have read them thro many times, each time wondering how i could have possibly missed a particular point. also have had to buy COTM 4 times now- somehow never gets returned whenever i lend it out. so - would love an ending but not too soon -i'm enjoying the books too much for that!

originally posted by max

Janny! Are you trying to tell us Lysaer really did leave the curse on the back of the bus?? [grins at ya] just the thought of him trying to bake anything, well I guess he might be able to roast his hunt results over an open fire. Ive watched one of my brothers cooking on the stove. what he makes tastes wonderful but the stove is a horror. food flies everywhere, he won't use hot gloves, just tosses hot pan out of the oven yelling 'ow,'ow. burns his tongue licking hot forks off. I saw him separate a frozen log of hamburger with his little powersaw once. He is scary in the kitchen. I am pretty sure Lysaer is more gracefull and would actually cook but there would have to be no one around for him to charm into doing it for him, don't you agree?? grinning at ya}

Re: Lysaer and cooking: he let Sulfin Evend do it, if you recall, and THAT hooligan used a stirrup iron for a "pan" to make what amounts to bannocks - sounds like your brother would love it!

Ah - power sawing frozen meat - if you don't have a microwave, it makes GOOD sense - (You can tell, I run flat out from "gourmet" cookbooks…my def. of gourmet - when the real food's lousy, unripe, or plain RIPE (as in rotten), raw, and you gotta sauce it to DEATH make it edible…then make a cooking school out of not so good food being edible to make it fashionable so idiots spend money eating it…)

The cynic, alive and awake this day, you betcha!

about like the elderly relative who whipped out his swiss army knife in a nice restaurant to cut the meat because, in his words, "the knives at the table were too dull to be any use!"

Why do we laugh?

When they're RIGHT!!!
:smiley:

originally posted by neil

If Lysaer was cooking 100 sausages with his power of light, 6 sausages would still be raw…

…if the same statistics can be applied, having seen his success with destroying "clan arrows" coming his way in alliance of light field tests…

Oh Janny, that was way too funny!

If you've ever tried eating Ponderosa steaks, you'll understand the urge to whip out a pocket knife on em! I guess buffet dining area and steak knives are mutually exclusive :stuck_out_tongue:

If I was Lysaer, I'd keep letting Sulfin do the cooking.

originally posted by max

Janny, I told my brother about using a stirrup iron to roast bannocks on an open fire. He says if you have the recipe, he is willing to try it.
mind you, this is the brother who bonked his head one too many times as a child, but he gets the general idea. [grinning at ya]

originally posted by Wendy Collett

2/3rds can of beer to 4cups self-raising flour. Pinch of salt.

Mix together in a bowl or tin, then break off a chunk, rap it around the stirrup iron and attach stirrup iron to a stick held out of reach of the fire.

Cook for about 20 mins (depends on thickness of mix on the stirrup iron or until it is cooked on the inside.

Serve with honey, treacle or golden syrup, and a great cup of tea or coffee.

It's a bush recipe for Australian Damper. :smiley:

(what you do with the left-over beer is up to you…)

Wendy

originally posted by Dorothy

use it as a hair conditioner?:smiley:

originally posted by Trys

or as 'digestive' conditioning? <grin>

originally posted by Hunter

Seems like a waste of good beer to me…

But then I like to drink Guinness which is a meal all in itself…