Sailing question

originally posted by Blue

Here's something I know is right up Janny's alley - or maybe I should say, channel.

I have heard of the dreaded "Calm" or "becalming" that can come over a sailing ship after a storm. Is it true, for all that it is called a "calm", that the ship makes lots of noise that can really get on the nerves of the crew, such as the creaking and groaning of the hull and the rigging?

A sailing ship, becalmed, is noisy as heck and a genuine trial on the nerves.

There's always enough residual swell that the "flat water" isn't totally flat. And everything that's held taut, while under sail, isn't. The booms swing, the bulkheads creak, and everything not nailed down rattles and clatters - random noise like chinese water torture. And Hot and airless - no motion means below decks swelters.

Makes any crew fit to murder in no time flat.

THANK YOU!!

I seem to remember you mentioning this one time before, but I wanted to confirm. The scene I am working on right now has an experienced crewman flipping out and trying to kill a passenger.

Again,

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU !!!

:smiley:

originally posted by Hunter

I think the 19th Century Englishman Coleridge had a wee ode to a becalmed ship…

This weekend on Discovery channel, there is the Mythbusters Pirate special… will be interesting to see what myths of pirates exist for them to bust… hopefully no Johnny Depp in sight.

No Johnny Depp in sight, but there are some REALLY cool myths they tackle in that episode, Hunter. Oh, and be warned, it is a 2 hour special.

Can't wait… but will have to tape it… it clashes with the final of the greatest European cultural export in existence… Eurovision!!! Go Lordi…

originally posted by Sandtiger

It's a good one - I quite enjoyed the episode! I personally just finished watching the Horation Hornblower series over again - If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

And ::Waves:: It's been hectic, so I've been really remiss in posting, answering emails, etc. I'm headed to Japan on Saturday for ten days … I hope things will slow a bit after that - at least until July when I go to Australia.

Jana

Coming to Melbourne I presume?

originally posted by Sandtiger

I wish. At this point, I am spending most of the time in a little town called Barraba (near Tamworth). I spent a year there as a Rotary exchange student in 1996/1997, so I am going back to visit the host family I stayed with. It should be fun!

I'm also going to be in Sydney for a few days because I want to visit the Historical Fleet Museum. Timing didn't work to do one of their 4 day tall-ship excursions, but I still want to see all the cool things they have. I still plan to do a tall-ship trip, but I'll have to find one closer to home.

Probably won't make it to Melbourne, unfortunately - though I would love to.

Jana