Quick Question

originally posted by Neil

As of Peril's Gate they're in they're in their 50s now (?)

originally posted by Blue

Talera s'Ahelas-s'Ilessid took off on the night of Lysaer's third birthday, so he has to be at least four years Arithon's senior.

Beth, you're right in that Arithon acts much more mature.

Neil, you are right. When Jieret is talking to Arithon in the cave by the Aiyenne [sp?] it is mentioned that Arithon was 57 years old.

Oooh, another quick question from me, and this might be something Janny would have to answer…

Havish, at the moment, is the only properly established [according to old kingdom charter] royal court in all of Paravia. We know the Kings [or Queen Regnants] wear the country's colors and symbols, and that the Caithdeins, in the presence of the sovereign, wear only unrelieved black. What is the wardrobe convention for the spouse of a Caithdein attending court? Would s/he wear black along with the Caithdein, or would the spouse be free to wear whatever colors s/he liked?

originally posted by Hannah

There is a comprehensive "offical"(?) timeline somewhere in the message boards where one could easily calculate current age if one was interested. I can't seem to locate it right now, though.

originally posted by Trys

Hannah,

That's because it didn't work out (no activity) so I deleted it. It wasn't necessarily accurate as Janny had not reviewed it.

Trys

Official timeline - very hard to "review".

Why - the "notes" for it are on scattered papers, and notebooks, spanning years. They are not "cross correlated." They tend to "cluster" around time periods, or events, or even, a person's life…

Example: the Twelve Swords of Isaer - their histories wax and wane, depending on what was going on at the time. Each sword has a story. Some emerge into prominence in the hands of a certain individual - then fall into background. To "correlate" them - one needs to look at a Lot of material - and recall all of the bearers and events, and look THEM up, individually. Then compile…and some of the notes are literally on restaurant napkins…backs of train schedules. Yup - whenever they "arrived" they got jotted. Even in class notes from college.

I did MUCHO work on this, as I was "correcting" the glossaries in the UK reissue books…swore I'd get some of it available for this site - but the art deadlines, page proofs, production deadlines, then a short story - all due - sidetracked me yet again.

It's a Massive Job.

And you have to realize - the notes for this ERA are all mixed into the others…yup - First, Second and Third Ages - are only a FRAGMENT sliver of Atheran history, in total.

Drakish histories extend back WAY further.

(They covered the Era of Destruction, which followed AFTER the Era of Creation - Paravian arrival marked the Opening of the Era of Redemption, of which there were Seven Ages…)

Complex mess of notes…

originally posted by frank

Janny, as many others have done, bundle the timelines and associated details up into a reference book so we can purchase it. I believe that we WOLAS fans would purchase it. I for one definitely would.
Frank

Hear, hear, Frank!

I imagine that at this time, Janny is chasing after restaurant napkins, odd bits of note paper, the backs of old envelopes and the like, and even non-paper things that were pressed into service whenever an idea struck her.

Whenever someone asks me why MY place is such a mess, I reply, "It's not a mess, it is the idea for a bestseller that I just need to round up!"

frank -

Story first…to make sense of these files (paper ones) would take a staggering bite of time.

Methinks completion of the story must come first, though writing that short story (For the Fawcett anthology) will give you a little view sidewards. (and back and you'll see, futureward, too).

Blue - spouses of Caithdeinen wear whatever pleases them, but not the black of the office, which denotes both the bearer of the title and the oath. There is a hard lot of symbolism to the black they wear - and to the office - you've seen only part. More coming…very soon.

originally posted by Hannah

*Drakish histories extend back WAY further.

(They covered the Era of Destruction, which followed AFTER the Era of Creation - Paravian arrival marked the Opening of the Era of Redemption, of which there were Seven Ages…) *

Wow. ::blink, recoil from brain upheaval:: Too… late… at night… must not… shatter paradigm… ARGH!

originally posted by Neil

Yes. The "eras" were news to me too: yet another layer :slight_smile:

There are more…eras, that is…

originally posted by Phil

Is it the seventh age of the Era of Redemption that the seers are looking back on the third age (as mentioned in the prologue to CoTM)?

If it is does this mean that the relevations that they discover will end both their age and their era?

originally posted by max

I am rereading in anticipation of 'Traitor's Knot', and a question occured that I hadn't thought of before. If the curse ruined Lysaer for high king, why did it not ruin Arithon. They are subject to the same curse. But yet the F7 never decided that Arithon couldn't be king and this is very confusing to me. Help!! [grinning at ya] I am ASKING??!!!

originally posted by Konran

I think the issue with Lysaer is not the curse, it is the fact that he is WILFULLY breaking the Compact, which all the kings are sworn to uphold, and therefore the F7 aren't too happy with the idea that someone like that should take the throne. The curse in and of itself is a bad recommendation for king, but I believe it's the fact that he is breaking rules (slavery, the whole "look, I'm a god" thing) that disqualifies him for kingship, rather than the fact that he is cursed. (reread the scene in FP where the F7 cast him out… I think that pretty much explains it). If I'm totally off-track, sorry, feel free to smack me or whatever ^^;;

originally posted by PurplePenny

But the F7 decided that Lysaer was not to be King *before* he started breaking rules. They told Maenelle in CotM. IIRC they cast strands and saw that Mistwraith was going to set the two against each other and no matter how the strands ran the outcome was always bad for Lysaer (I think that there was one other possible outcome that was even worse).

Hmm. Looks like you're right. I haven't read Curse for a bit. p. 455, pb:

"The curse that sets Lysaer against Arithon had sullied the s'Ilessid gift in any case." - Asandir

"There's always the next generation." - Sethvir

So from that conversation (right after they removed the wraith itself from Lysaer) it looks like Lysaer's gift of justice itself got tampered with (as we know, that's how the wraith got inside), and that therefore disqualifies him from kingship? Whereas to get to Arithon the curse didn't latch onto him through his royal gift and left it alone? … yeah… it says Lysaer cast a "banespell" that entangled itself in Arithon's "aura". No mention of intrusion through the royal gift. *shakes head* I should really read back through and write the important stuff down…

"Lysaer's sense of justice and farsight will answer to logic, and therefore be reconciled to compromise. But since when can compassion ever be made to condone pain?" Morriel's probably got it right. Something to do with the twisting of Lysaer's justice gift, I'm betting then.

"Look, I'm a god" thing

I don't know why, Konran, but for some reason, that particular sentence fragment has had me howling like a loon for about the last 10 minutes. Thanks for a good, if inadvertant, laugh! :smiley:

umm… welcome? ^^;;

originally posted by Rurack

Well ther are a couple things, and i hope I am remembering corectly, there are other s'Ilessid's through the world send gate. So Lysear, to a degree was thought as expendable. They were still planning to give Lysear kingship when the happy group lead by Kingmaker stopped by Althain. Then they cast strands. But The main reason the F7 want Arithon to be king is that he is the center of the "Back rose" no Arithon no Pavarians, in fact they die out, and the F7 is never restored to seven. Which brother would you pick. Oh wait a second the F7 can't pick they are BOUND BY DRAKE OATH to se to the survival of the pavarians.

And Konran if I remember corectly in Fugitive Prince a certain s'Brydion had to break Arithon's leg to keep him from going to Tysan to stop the firing of Riverton "because inocents would suffer and die" No the part I am remebering said that Dakar had a revalation while this was going on that the curse had warped his morality and especially his compasion.

At least I think that is how it went. I might be wrong…now where did I put my copy of FP i know it is around here somewhere *grumbles to himself*