Question about the Stories

originally posted by Frank T Davis

Cheryl,
There used to be a TV program, I believe it was a series though it may have been a made for TV movie or it could have been a Star Trek episode, in which the lead character was a guy with mystical powers. His sidekick was a black slinkly female cat that he called Isis. From time to time Isis turned into this absolutely georgeous lady. I believe she was a brunette. I seem to recall that one episode had Terri Garr in it.
Frank

Please be careful Auna, when mentioning Shazam, a huge thunderbolt could come down from the sky followed by the appearance of Captain Marvel (I think he was the guy from comic books of many years ago).
Frank

originally posted by Cheryl

I remember that show Frank I think I will change her name from Isis to something else. I didn't know it would be such a fuss about it LOL I remember the Teri Garr Star trek show one of my favorites. I looked up Egypt in the dictionary this morning and it said their was a large cat called a nua or mua. It was interesting to read. I didn't realize Shazam was so popular who'd have thunk it LOL She looks like a serious heroine I don't think she'd appreciate the humor. She's glaring at us LOL I'm ducking!!!

Cheryl, no fuss intended. It just fired some nuerons when I read the names Isis and Shazam. You are probably much too young to have read the Shezam related comic books of my childhood.
Frank

Oh Frank thanks for saying much too young makes my day. I know of Shazam but I think it's through a cartoon that use to be on Saturday Mornings and I watched it. lol I liked the hunky guy that did the lightning LOL Comic strip heroes are big now maybe it's a new version of Shazam I got LOL I don't read comics so I probably did miss those. I know I missed some great comic books. I love all the superhero movies and tv shows they are doing now like Spiderman and Smallville. I loved Daredevil too. Who knew we'd get into comic books here. Batman was the best. Maybe we should start a thread in miscellaneous of comic strips. lol I was thinking more on the lines of Judith Tarr's books on historical fiction. I know she's done some on Egypt. I need to read her later books. I renamed Isis to Irena lol

originally posted by Auna

The Shazam / Isis hour of power - I watched it religiously.

LOL I did too after breakfast every Saturday. LOL I loved that hunky guy. If I never get this person written at least she got attention here lol I dreamt about Batgirl last night LOL

You ladies have nade my day!!
Thanks,
Frank

Last night I was going through my fantasy reference book and in one section it described some Gods and Godesses. I came across one that was Egyptian Goddess Isis, was that the character from the Shazam shows and Isis or is this a different Isis? I about freaked out when I saw their really was a myth of an Egyptian Goddess Isis I guess her name is Isis after all lol

originally posted by Trys

Cheryl,

That cartoon character was very loosely based on the Egyptian goddess Isis… I always cringed when it came on. Why…

I've had an interest in mythologies for nearly all my life, in particular Norse and Egyptian. Rarely have I seen a portrayal of one of these gods or goddesses as a cartoon character that did the originals justice. Even the Thor comic book wasn't really close.

I've had cats named Isis, Sekhmet I, Sekhmet II, Anubis, and Osiris. When I first got Isis she was about 3 months old and I tried a few names on her and she pretty much ignored me. Then I tried Isis. She stopped what she was doing. Sat up with her tail curled around her feet (classic Egyptian pose of Bastet) and looked me in the eye as though to say, "So what took you so long to get it right?".

According to T. S. Eliot, cats have three names (paraphrasing here): the name you give them, the name you call them, and the name they tell no one at all (some may recognize this from the movie "Logan's Run" or the musical Cats). I would say that Isis was all three of her names.

Isis is the Egyptian Earth Mother, the goddess of the Moon and sister/mate to Osiris, God of the Dead, Lord of the House of Life. When you died, you went before Osiris and he placed your heart upon a scale opposite a feather (memory fails me as to what bird). If your heart weighed more than the feather you were held for a while in the House of Life and then sent back into the world. If not, you were sent to the House of the Dead to dwell with Anubis, God of the Dead, Lord of the House of the Dead, forever.

BTW, I also had a cat named Kali after the Hindu goddess of Chaos. And one named Nebuchednezzar and another named Nebuchednezzar II.

A couple of suggested reads for some insight into gods and goddesses. Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness. These are both SF/Fantasy novels. The second deals with the Egyptian pantheon. The first with the Hindu pantheon. One of my favorite lines from a book is from Lord of Light. (paraphrase)"His name was Mahatsamatman
(yes this character was the Buddha of the book). But he preferred to drop the 'Mahat' and the 'atman' and go by Sam.

Trys

Cheryl,
"Shazam!" was the word spoken aloud by the mortal, don't remember his name, to cause his being to be converted into Captain Marvel. The conversion was accomplished via a huge thunderbolt that came down from the sky. There was also a crippled teen aged boy and a teen aged girl who had the connections that enabled them to be converted to super heroes when they called out "Shazam!". Don't remember either their super hero names or their mortal names. Gosh, these comic book characters must have occurred at least 50 years ago.
Frank

Frank,

Not quite 50 years as I pretty much remember them when they came on the scene and I'm only just past 50. Quick check of the Internet shows the first issue of Captain Marvel being published in May 1968. Still a few years. :smiley:

Trys

originally posted by Wayne McCalla

Trys,

Actually came out in the '40's Whiz Comics #2. by Bill Parker

Think the '68 version you are talking about was when DC brought him into their universe. They would buy out other companies and introduce them in their books.

So '68 is the first "modern" appearance of him

hey found a few sights on Shazam and Isis tv show and comic history of Shazam

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/shaz.htm
the tv show

(link removed)
comic history

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/isis.htm
isis
CBS on 9/6/75 - 9/3/77(as part of the Shazam!/Isis Hour),
9/17/77 - 9/2/78 (as part of the Secrets of Isis).

Wayne

originally posted by Blue

I remember reading that SHAZAM was the power word the boy used to gain his great powers. It was an anagram of the various beings who were, in effect, his sponsors.

S Solomon
H Hercules
A
Z Zeus
A
M

The As and the M, I cannot remember who they stood for. I know M did not stand for Mars [Roman god of War] because it was negative, and they did not want that sort of thing in a comic book.

The wizard SHAZAM's name is an acronym of those deities who grant the wizard, and the Marvel Family, a portion of their powers. The deities involved appear to vary from character to character

Captain Marvel
Solomon wisdom
Hercules strength
Atlas stamina
Zeus power
Achilles courage
Mercury speed

Black Adam (Used Egyptian Deities)
Shu Stamina
Heru Swiftness
Amon Strength
Zehuti Wisdom
Aton Power
Mehen Courage

Mary Marvel
Selena Grace
Hippolyta Strength
Ariadne Skill
Zephyrus Speed
Aurora Beauty
Minerva Wisdom

In the 1995 version, SHAZAM(The Old Wizard) draws his powers from six gods whose names form the acronym "MARVEL".
I guess it would be silly to call out your own name. :smiley:

Marzosh Stamina
Arel Speed
Ribalvei Power
Voldar Strength
Elbiam Courage
Lumiun Wisdom

Wayne

Everything here was from one of the sites I have found.

Wayne,

Ahhhh, interesting. I didn't even know about Whiz Comics. Thanks for the info.

Trys

That is all very interesting. Guess comics are with us even as adults. Thanks Wayne and everyone.

originally posted by Blue

Who here is an adult? I hope you're not applying that dirty word on me, Cheryl ;^)

LOL Blue I know that is a dirty word isn't it for fantasy and comic strip hero fans. Pretend I had a blank space there that will make us feel better. lol I know I'm a child at heart when it comes to fantasy books.