Publication Dates and Order Deliveries

Yup…that's how they do the export editions, here. All this cobbled together stuff has kept the books in print and available here.

If our numbers grow visible enough to warrant a separate printing of a US dust jacket (the paperbacks get stickered, too) then - we get an upgrade.

For that future, wait till you see what's going into Song of the Mysteries…

originally posted by Melanie Trumbull

This is not good news, but I think you ought to know about it.
Just looked at Amazon dot com to see if people are still posting Destiny's Conflict reviews.
And this customer has a serious complaint.

dated March 17, 2018
"I am a third of the way into the book
and I'm enjoying it so far, but
it has 30+ missing pages right in the middle,
plus there are duplicate pages too!
I purchased the hardcover book.
Very frustrating."
This is a Verified Purchase review.

And this is the first I have heard
of anything this faulty.

originally posted by Xepheus Shazar

Just adding my two cents worth on delivery and also Melanie's last comment regarding the feedback/review.

Firstly, I am in New Zealand and I ended up getting 2 hardback copies. Both came in from the UK and I received them very shortly after everyone in the UK received theirs. I also had free delivery on them.

Secondly, I understood from reviews, it was meant to be about whether you enjoyed the book - was it fast paced etc. Did it live up to expectations. Publication issues should have gone directly to the publisher. And generally there is always a tiny percentage of books that slip through that have a flaw in them. It's very sad that an error in the publisher's production/compilation of the book has been placed as review content.

Of my 2 books - neither have a problem (sad to say I have read both LOL)

originally posted by Auna

Reviews on Amazon are rife with delivery and product issues. That's just par for the course. I hope that person sends the book back and gets a new one.

I didn't read my hardback, but nothing about it seemed funky. But it too was from the UK.

originally posted by Mustela

I totally don't understand why people complain about damaged/faulty copies in reviews. Reviews should be about the story. If you have problems with printing/binding go to the customer service.
Years and years ago I ordered a hardcover from amazon.com, and it had several torn pages, with some text missing. I wrote an e-mail to them (with photos of the damage), and they sent me a new copy. Only thing they were annoyed about, that sending back the faulty copy would have cost more than the price of the book. So they let me keep it.

Thank you all for posting this!

I had ONE complaint from a reader with pages missing - the publisher, when contacted, rectified it instantly (sent that reader a new copy).

I had no idea there were more problems.

I had hoped HC would have checked its stock - if they have, and the books are OK, and this is that person with the faulty copy that was given a new one - I'd be horrified to hear they left the review in place and did not amend it.

I have new hardbacks from the publisher here (just sent) and will check them to see if they are OK.

If there is more than ONE of these reviews, I'd like to know (Amazon can be depressing for authors to check reviews, so generally I don't). LET ME KNOW if there is more than one…also if you want to comment on their review and suggest that the publisher will replace the faulty copy, that would be grand. It would also help to know if it was Amazon USA, UK, or AU, NZ, then I know whom to write to to check out the problem.

Thank you!

Problems caused by publishers can WRECK your ratings, and sadly, readers who are lazy only look at the number.

I see one posted a few days ago on the US site and someone nicely replied telling her to ask for a replacement and also gently chastised her for 2 starring a book she was enjoying due to a publisher mistake. Hopefully she'll change the review once she gets a replacement. Sounded like she was enjoying it so far.

originally posted by Clansman

I reported one on the reviews that reveals two huge spoilers for the ending of the book. Really, really bad form, in my view, akin to telling people going into The Empire Strikes Back in 1979 that Darth Vader was Luke's father. The spoiler is that bad, and I won't repeat it in case someone in this thread hasn't read the book.

Thanks, guys!!! That sort of commenting really truly helps - my publisher has already said they'd replace the book IMMEDIATELY - they could not find the review, though, so I take it it is situated in the US Amazon?

originally posted by Clansman

Yes, it's on amazon.com.

Here is a direct link to the specific review:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1TD1ZPL74TANX/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_tt l?ie=UTF8&ASIN=000826029X

Thanks, Brian!

I will send that link through appropriate channels, stat!

originally posted by Jeff

I just saw that review, Clansman.

I don't understand why someone would do that. Hopefully, if there is a silver lining, it might intrigue someone into reading who might have been on the fence.

I saw that review too and was like OMG! Who does that??!!

Trust me, Auna, it totally happens. My rating average at LibraryThing was shot down for Initiate's Trail because the publisher did the mass market in six point!!! type, then send out books to 'early reviewers' - who may or may not have read any of the former volumes, who lose their status as early reviewers if they don't comment on an early review book - and they lost it on the six point type (not my fault, not the content/all on the publisher) but unless you read the reviews or read the reviews of other readers with other editions, nothing to show that the CONTENT of the text was not off base…so yup, reviews like this affect the algorithm, adversely.

Just paid a visit to the same branch of Barnes and Noble
where I had placed, in person,
my order for Destiny's Conflict,
since filled (see previous posts).
Of course, that order was shipped to me directly,
it was not a question of me going to the store branch
to collect the order.

I visited the Science Fiction/Fantasy section of the shop,
and yes, indeed,
a hardback copy or two of "Destiny's Conflict"
is on the shelves at the store now.

Wow! That is a neat change in favor!! Thanks so much for reporting it.

For what it's worth,
"Destiny's Conflict," in hardcover,
is on the shelves of a Tucson, Arizona branch
of Barnes and Noble as well
– just visiting, and noticed this.

Thank you - this is brilliant. It was on the shelf of my local (and secondary store) B & N also, which had me floored!!! This is very very good news. now, if they'd only stock vol I…