Power, conduits & focusses

originally posted by R’is’n

quote:

I've always seen the Waystone as a focus rather than a power in it's own right.

- Andrew Genever

I'm starting this thread, because I think there's a level of patterened thinking here that I am not knowledgeable enough to work out, (having been trained in Arts & Humanities, not hard science) but I'm going to take a stab at a kind of category, and see what pans out.

Power sources of magic: Living things/organisms like stars, Athera, people, animals, grimwards? sound/light?

conduits of magic: lanes, people…? Animals? music?

focuses of magic (that amplify power & shape intent?): gems, cantrips, sigils, permanent & temporary circles, the lyranthe?

Any good? Getting anywhere? :smiley: Any other ideas?

originally posted by Trys

Let me toss this out. All matter is energy, just energy that vibrates at a frequency that allows it to be appear to have attributes that we don't normally associated with energy (solidity, tactility [is that a word], malleability, etc.). If this is the case than anything can be a source of energy.

If the energy is manifesting as matter then it can be a focus for energy.

If the energy is conscious and sentient (define that one… I dare ye) then it can be a conduit for energy.

And likely there are more ways to look at this.

Trys

originally posted by R’is’n

*catch* :wink:

When I was reading this past weekend, I paid more attention to the information about the lanes and the Paravian rites that drew on the to replenish the land. (She sure does pack the writing tightly!)

Just interesting to realise now how the paravians kept Athera so 'clean' and at such high resonance.

Makes one curious about Arithon's potential: that as Masterbard, Mage and sanctioned prince, he can fire the lines. Certainly the hidden Paravians took note of it… Would he be able to make new ones?

originally posted by Steve Redpath

I doubt anyone could create new lines, it would be like trying to create new rock. The lines are an integrel part of the planet and as all matter is considered to be sentient (defination: aware of itself and enviroment) I think Athea might object slightly to anyone even trying (think of it as a person performing plastic surgery on your face without asking).

originally posted by Richard

I think the lines are like rivers … they flow along the easiest route. I agree that no one could create a new line, but I do think that with a concerted effort they could be re-directed.