Order Of Reading

originally posted by Melanie Trumbull

Of course the following is strictly my own highly opinionated thought …
if you don't want to hear such, read no further …

but "Curse of the Mistwraith" was a very difficult book for me, and I read maybe four or five of the books that came after it, before "Curse", the very first book in the series, was available to me.

To this day that book pleases me the least of the entire series. I have gotten over some of the emotions I had about it – I was genuinely repulsed by some of what was in there. And of course the book is essential.

My position remains, though, that it is just as well that the first book in the series was not the first book that I read. Had I begun with "Curse of the Mistwraith," I would have been so disturbed that I would have thought long and hard before touching any of the books that came after it…eventually, I reckon, I would have gone to those later books in the series, and would have thought, as I think now, Oh I like these books MUCH better than the first one.

originally posted by Sleo

I also found Curse very diffifult reading, but not because of the events that took place, but because of Wurts style. About halfway through I began to get the rhythm of it and it really flowed after that. This series is definitely not for the faint of heart as events heat up and Wurts pulls no punches. But there are very likable characters and I find it hard to know who to root for, as in Warhost but was in tears at the end at the transformation.

originally posted by Auna

I tried to get a friend interested in the series and she didn't like the whiny princes in book 1 so never tried the rest :frowning_face: Maybe I should have tricked her into reading farther in the series!

The characters have developed so much that now it can be hard to go back and reread the earlier books. Especially the bits where you know they fail and you are screaming, "No! Don't do it!" Stupid, sneaky curse! :stuck_out_tongue:

originally posted by Annette

Well the first Janny Wurts book I ever read was actually written in a much simpler style to WoLaS, but is still a favourite of mine. Sorcerer's Legacy. Janny's most recent stand alone novel To Ride Hell's Chasm was also a fun read, not requiring a dictionary, or a complex understanding of language. I found each of Janny's series to be written in a slightly different style, only WoLaS had me running for the dictionary to try and work out the meaning of some obscure word I had never seen before. Or puzzling over some strange phrase, or sentence that at the time made no sense. And then there is all the actual story to puzzle over, and try and glean new insights about re-reading, and the Paravian words and language. Always plenty to think about.

If someone cannot get used to the complex wordage of WoLaS, there is probably going to be another of Janny's books or series they will enjoy.

originally posted by Judy

I also was drawn into Janny's works through the Empire series. I was intrigued by the difference in the style from the "just Feist" books. My first were the Cycle of Fire books since that was what my library had … all of those along with Warhost, and I hate starting in the middle of a series. Partway through Cycle, I started putting my inter-library loan requests in for WoLaS, in order, and other stuff they didn't have on the shelves. The somewhat different styles but still obviously the same author still keeps me … fascinated isn't quite the right word but is close.

I've read enough historical stuff and have a large enough vocabulary that I wasn't really slowed down by the complex style and somewhat archaic word use of WoLaS, but I did make a concerted effort to slow down just to get all the detail. You can't rush ahead and skim the end of a sentence because you'll miss something as the sentence doesn't end the typical way. Curse was the first book in a long time that I immediately started rereading as soon as I had finished it since I knew I had missed stuff. Despite my efforts I rushed through because I so wanted to find out what happened next. After reading the first couple, I started buying them so I could reread at my leisure.

Once I find an author I like, I add them to my list of those I always keep an eye out for. It's much easier now with the internet to know what's new and when it's coming out. My kindle is a god-send since I'm a voracious reader (so is my husband) and our library is already overflowing the room. It also has the advantage of a built-in encyclopedia for those words Janny tosses in that I'm unfamiliar with.

Hi Melanie, welcome here!

Your post - and this whole thread - have been fascinating. It's rewarding to hear you managed to jump in at Arc IV and make a go of it. I tried extremely hard to make this possible, but so much is going on by that volume, one never knows if one succeeded or not, until a reader provides feedback.

I've heard of readers entering at book two, Ships of Merior and managing; though if they didn't go on and read Warhost, the finale gets missed.

I've seen feedback from readers entering at Fugitive Prince, start of Arc III, and their reviews say it all (they don't get Arithon/most can't handle his emotional state because they didn't see what created it).

I've heard of successful entries at Peril's Gate, and discovered by accident (gave away copies) of Traitor's Knot, and readers easily managed it, then went back and read the prior volumes. I'd never imagined a starting point at Traitor's Knot, but there you go - with a fresh look, based on new eyes, it can happen at that point.

You are the very first who's reported back that you enjoyed the entry at Initiate's Trial, and wow, that is gratifying to see. I know you have to be an extraordinarily patient reader, and a careful one who doesn't skim, by that…my publisher tried to do a giveaway of Initiate's Trial to kick off the launch of that series. They chose to do so on Library Thing, and wow, the readers there were NOT so careful and patient. Most were quite unforgiving of the fact this was far along in a series that is not styled episodically - and their ratings yanked the average for that book way down.

It's not recovered to this day, on that site, due to few readers posted more reviews there to even out the average.

My hat is totally off to you for a discerning person, and thank you for your post here (and inspiring others to post.) Feed back is so lovely and such a treasure, and I am always thankful for anyone who takes the time.

If you happen to be a posting member of LibraryThing, quite lovely if you feel up to leaving a review (don't worry if not, it's totally up to you, what you wish to say or not in public).

I certainly appreciate your unique perspective, particularly as I draft the final volume.

It makes sense to me that jumping in at Initiate's Trial would work since in essence Arithon has been reset and all the normally aging people are long gone. Oddly enough, I had initial issues with the book because of the jump and loss of connection with the previous book.

Thank heavens for Kindle and dictionary on demand right? I had a list of Janny words written out on a sticky note at one point. I still can't spell chiaroscuro without help but thanks to Janny I know what it means. :wink: As well as sanguine, sanguinary, exsanguinate, and other fun words I'll run into again when I reread everything.

Just want to thank Janny Wurts for her direct, personal, and most welcome response – a first for me. As a retired classical musician (specialty was music for the voice, so not only composers but poets from centuries outside of mine), it's a wondrous thing to go deep into a work of art whose author is still amongst the living!!

originally posted by Sleo

Janny, I'm excited to see this very interesting and deep discussion about WLoS! I think I started reading this series in 2009 and have thoroughly enjoyed every reread.

Melanie, I can understand your dismay at Arithons behavior. I felt it myself at times. But there is always an understandable explanation and most often his intensity reflects the depth of his own wounds.

Well, and in that initial bit he's trying to anger people into killing him, so he was saying pretty vile things.

originally posted by Dorothy

Please, does anyone know what the word quillon means? I've searched for the meaning but can't find it. I know it's part of a sword, but not which part and it's driving me mad not knowing. Thank you in advance.

Quillion, Dorothy. I think the word is spelled Quillion. Check your spelling, and try again!

Quillion = Crossguard of a sword.