New and improved Interactive Map of Paravia

Announcing a new and improved Interactive Map of Paravia! I’ve rewritten it as a mobile-friendly map with modern controls like zooming in and out and seamless navigation. If you’ve used any commercial map sites like Google Maps, Apple Maps, or even Mapquest, you should feel right at home.

The new map features 129 points of interest with links to associated entries in the Paravia Wiki and Paravia Sketchbook. The level of detail about these locations is spoiler-free and suitable for someone who has not yet read any of the series. (The Wiki, of course, has book-by-book spoiler tags for dedicated readers).

My long-term vision for the map is to have the level of spoilers adjust to where you are in the series. For example, Avenor during Curse of the Mistwraith is wildly different from Avenor in Fugitive Prince or after Stormed Fortress. Some sort of “books I’ve read” slider could allow the map to dynamically update with more spoilers and new points of interest. This is a half-baked idea with no guarantee of completion, but the underlying technology is now there to support it someday.

Let me know if you encounter any technical difficulties with the new map and I’ll work with you to address them.

Regards,
BU

1 Like

Brian’s done a great job reworking this Interactive Map. If you haven’t checked it out yet, you should :slight_smile:

I did have a look at the new map after reading preview 2, my maps were all on my old computer, I wanted to see where a certain someone might be going. I must say I had a bit of trouble finding the map tucked away in artwork. It was a logical place to put it, but I am sure we used to be spoiled with a more direct link. It looked very nice, although I never had much time to play around with it.

Hi Annette,

Feel free to bookmark this direct link so you don’t have to wade through menus to find it. There is also a link at the bottom of the series page, in the About the Wars of Light and Shadows topic, and on the front page of the Paravia Wiki.

A new feature has been added to the Interactive Map: a toggle for Spoilers in the lower right corner.

By default, the map is spoiler-free and safe to browse for someone who has not yet finished Curse of the Mistwraith. Checking the “Spoilers” checkbox will update the map for people who have read all the way through Destiny’s Conflict. The descriptions of some Points of Interest expand to mention important plot points, and some brand new Points of Interest appear in out-of-the-way places that do not become important until later in the story.

Because the full detail of each location is already available in the Wiki, I don’t want to duplicate too much information in the little map popups. However, if you see any Points of Interest that definitely need a little more background story, or think there should be new Points of Interest added, please let me know and I will gladly make the changes.