Janny Wurts Chat Area: Screen Names????

originally posted by Blue

DarthJazy - there are some TRULY stupid names out there. I don't think Dudley fits into that category.

As mentioned, I was an answering service operator for 6 1/2 years, and we heard some DOOZIES, my favorite being (no kidding!)

Mr. Blankenshit

originally posted by DarthJazy

yeah that one beats me but thanx to said cartoon I hear no end of the jokes as i am sure you can imagin

originally posted by Kelly Hayes

I had the same problem but with a different twist. My maiden name is Joy, so I always got the Happy Happy Joy Joy song from the Ren and Stimpy cartoon. It got a lot worse around Christmas time with all the carols :stuck_out_tongue:

My aunt works in NICU (a hospital's neonatal unit where preemie babies are taken care of) and one of the mothers in her unit who couldn't speak english named her child Pajamas because she saw it in a department store and thought it was a pretty name.

originally posted by Clansman

Dudley Do-Right is the most famous Canadian in America?!?!?!?!?!? (pause while I rub my eyes)

I always knew that Americans in general tended to be somewhat lacking in specific knowledge of Canada (I think Douglas Adams' quote about Earth in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the way that the collective USA thinks of us: MOSTLY HARMLESS), but that is ridiculous. There is a famous show in Canada called "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", which is a satire based on the news of the previous week (the title comes from a news show from the 1960's called "This Hour Has Seven Days"). In it, a comedian named Rick Mercer goes to parts of the US and makes some blatantly, obviously silly, false statement about some development in Canada (e.g. the construction of our national igloo, or on building a clock in our nation's capital, etc.)and gauges/records their reactions. The results, to us in Canada, are quite hilarious. Every once in a while, someone would always clue in. The typical place for Mr. Mercer to go was prestigious US university campuses. He even managed to nail George W. Bush once, during the 2000 election, when he referred to our Prime Minister at the time as either Jean Poutine or perhaps John Crouton (his name is actually Jean Chretien). Bush's handlers totally missed it, and thought Mercer was a serious journalist. Bush acknowledged the Prime Minister of Canada as being either a dish of french fries with gravy and cheese curds, or a salad garnish (I forget which). The result was both funny and terrifying for Canadians. The last 7 years has borne proof of our terror.

As for famous Canadians, what about the following(feel free to add more, my fellow Canucks):

Wayne Gretzky (an easy one)
Mike Myers (Shrek, SNL, Austin Powers)
Jim Carrey (though he recently became a US citizen)
Alexander Graham Bell (invented the telephone)
Frederick Banting (invented insulin)
Nickleback
Bryan Adams (rock musician)
Rush (rock band, "Tom Sawyer", "Closer to the Heart", etc.)
The Guess Who (rock band, "American Woman", "These Eyes", etc.)
Lester B. Pearson (who invented the concept of U.N. Peacekeepers during the Suez Crisis)
John Candy (and most of the other SCTV alumni)
Dan Ackroyd (Blues Brothers, SNL, etc.)
William Shatner (Captain Kirk, went to my alma mater, McGill University in Montreal)
Lorne Greene

That's just a few, and yes, most of them are entertainers, but the list goes on. I didn't include those who are most famous to Canadians, as people of other nations, unless they really knew Canada, would be totally out of the loop.

Dudley the most famous Canadian in America? No way, man. No way.

LMAO honestly i didnt know a one of those guys was from canada honestly. I doubt most common peeps even know it. and you forgot to add Terance and Phillip which may be more popular than all of them :stuck_out_tongue: I do have a question. DO canadians really find fart jokes that funny? hehe and what with your flip top heads? hehe

And i got the most famous for Dudley Do Right from the family feud as one of their polls he was number 1

originally posted by Trys

quote:

The last 7 years has borne proof of our terror.

Then imagine the nature of the gibbering horror that we 'enlightened' Americans must be experiencing… I keep my head down for fear of 'nuculer warfare'… :smiley:

Trys

you mean he might use nukes I thought we were already on countdown to launch nukes. Dam it I alwaysw miss the good memos

originally posted by Derek Coventry

After the fuss about the English teacher and the teddy bear's naming, I hear Sooty & Sweep have abandoned their proposed tour of Jamaica.
(an English jest!)

originally posted by Julie

After the last "election" many of us Americans visited the Canadian immigration website. I came out with high points because of my profession, language fluency and age.THe hard part was convincing my family to make that kind of monumental move so we did not persue it. I wish we had.

I only knew about Dudley DoRIght because I'm of a certain age!

originally posted by Blue

At least you're getting flak about Dudley Do-Right, and NOT Dudley Dursley - high amount of geek points if you know the reference.

originally posted by Wench

Ahh Harry Potter :smiley:

originally posted by Auna

Auna - short for Auna Ralirea which comes from 'aun ralirea' - a particular creature (tumerok) in Asherons' Call (old MMO).

Normally I use Gilthanos, an incorrect spelling of Gilthanas, a Qualinesti elf from Dragonlance. However, I started feeling guilty about using a name from an author's work, even an obscure one, so I picked Auna for this forum. I am actually female in real life too which works better.

originally posted by Artemis

Artemis - I chose this because it seemed more interesting than my real name, which begins with 'J' and is the same as a very attractive large-bosomed film star of the fifties and sixties. In fact most of the people I come across who carry the same name were born in the fifties (in England, anyway). There are never any princesses called by my name…sigh…