Initiate's Trial Status

originally posted by Brittani Pasek

I too must admitt that I nearly lost my mind when I realized I would have to wait till SF was shipped all the way across the Atlantic Ocean and then the greater part of the USA before I could read it.

I agree with Lyssabits that I don't want to know when the next book will be released until we get close to the actual date. I don't want to have to spend too much time hopping up and down eagerly.

originally posted by Clansman

Ditto, Blue. Ditto.

Yay! We're going to have a title.

Now. Should we be planning raids on these other forums to correct the incorrect information??? Slam some moaners and non-enthusiastic whiners to the mat? Hoist them on their own petards (did I spell that right?) and expose their winjing for all to see.

Anyone up for it?

originally posted by DarthJazy

mememe ill do it clans. as for not wanting a date well then don't read it cause I like to know so I can count down to the time I can rush out and skim it in a hour. Now I read fast when i want to roughly 60 pages or more an hour when i been reading a lot but anyone who can read jannys books in an hours get my props cause dam thats fast. Of all the authors I read she has the thickest books around. And what is wrong with an endless series I miss new books on my old favorits. thats one reason why I like the Star Wars Expanded Universe it keeps going.

Anybody attending Capricon in Chicago?

Well, I have a reading on Saturday…a few lucky people may get to VOTE on what they want to hear, and - well - you'll have to be there, because the attendees Will be sworn to secrecy… :wink:

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

Janny, when's your next reading in Australia?
*looks pointedly at people with the power to bring her across the vast gap between our countries*

originally posted by Sundancer

I vote for Australia - Janny it seems you have quite a number of fans in Australia judgng by the number who seem to post here - and certainly the local bookstores stock you well. Come in our summer and go sailing on Sydney Harbour.

originally posted by Hunter

If she's in Australia over summer, then surely sailing from Sydney to Hobart would be an interesting way to spend some time?

originally posted by Kimberly Israel

Good to know the series is still happening - Stormed Fortress was amazing! I started having Arithon dreams again the other night, so I figured it was time to check and see what was going on with the next book :slight_smile:

originally posted by motley

Oooh, I love the sound of the new arc title and the first volume. It sounds… swashbuckling but also musical. *grin*

Initiate. As there are always more than one of the title (lots of traitors in traitor's knot…) let's see: Arithon is quite an advanced initiate into the Mysteries. Elaira is also an initiate into the Koriani, and Ath's brotherhood. Will Dakar get more training… lots of possible avenues…

Between writing This Book, some wierd and wonderful facts…

Who knew?

Anyone from the US south - you do NOT need to use poison to eliminate fire ant nests…plain old oatmeal does for em! Apparently the invasive species cannot digest it.

Ah, my (all but stingless) bare feet are looking forward to being SO happy, and the very prospect of summer gardening without gajillions of pustulant bites - a routine irritation, because I DETEST poisons!!!

originally posted by starstorm

I feel the same way about using poisons, even against the nasty fire ants.

I've been using some nice-smelling stuff with orange oil (among other things) from the organic nursery, but it seems to just move them around the yard, if it moves them at all. I'll definitely try the oatmeal tomorrow on the colony by my rosebush!

Thanks for the tip, Janny! I had not ever heard about using oatmeal.

~Anna

originally posted by Tygrr

Janny, I have found effective ant repellent - cinnamon! Apparently, it messes up their pheromone trials; in essence, causing them to get lost!

I have had problems with ants invading my kitties' food bowl, so I just sprinkled a bit of cinnamon around the bowl, and in the place between the wall and the floorboards where the pests were coming out.

Well, at least it works on the varieties of ants we have here in Minnesota. I am not too sure if this solution will work for fire ants as we do not have them here! Thank goodness! (It gets too cold for 'em!)

originally posted by julie

Nutmeg works too. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Janny for frequent updates and not getting grumpy when we clamor for more and demand release dates. :smiley:

HMMMMMMM!

Methinks this thread has gotten a wee bit off-topic. And it is Janny's fault!

No fire ants in Canada, especially with the worst winter that we have had in two decades! It is the end of February, and we should be starting to thaw out a little bit. Not so. -20 Celsius, close to 0 degrees for the US Fahrenheit crew. For those of you in FLA, who could not possibly understand what this feels like, -20 Celsius techno-speak for FRIGGIN' DARN COLD!!! Even for a Canadian!

Perhaps we should move this discussion to a thread entitled "Fire Ants: The War of Spices and Herbs"

Oh. I forgot the orange and lemon zest!

originally posted by Blue

Hey Clansman, how's THIS for an annotated thermometer?

Nuclear blast nominal yield.

Camels die.

Saharans comment that the sand is a little stingy today.

Lead Boils.
Okies notice it is warm out.

Water Boils.
Death Valley residents put on deodorant.

Arizona children amuse themselves by dropping eggs on sidewalk and giggle while they fry.

Miami residents put on sunglasses.
Texans turn on the fan.

Too hot to think.
Texans and Californians undo top button.
Antarctica is gone, polar bears extinct.

Australians notice the sun is out.
All Europeans and Canadians spontaneously combust.

Arabians awaken and thaw.
Canadians weep.
New Yorkers burst open street fire hydrants.

Texans drink coffee.
Alaskans melt.

British start sacrificing goats to make the sun go away.
Californians finally turn off the heaters.

Death Valley residents awaken.
Scandinavians go underground.

Canadians turn on the air conditioning full blast.
Arizona residents stop shivering.

Alaskans declare record heatwave.
Californians rise from hibernation.

Hawaiians declare a two-blanket night.

Californians put on sweaters (if they can find one).

Miami residents turn on the heat.
Scandinavians sweat.

Vermont residents go to outdoor concerts.

You can see your breath.
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Minnesotans go swimming.
Siberians melt.

Italian cars don't start.

Water freezes.

You plan your vacation to Australia.

Ohio water freezes.
Californians weep pitiably.
Minnesotans eat ice cream.
Canadians go swimming.

Politicians begin to talk about the homeless.
New York City water freezes.
Miami residents plan vacation further South.

French cars don't start.
Cat insists on sleeping in your bed with you.

You need jumper cables to get the car going.

American cars don't start.

Alaskans put on T-shirts.

German cars don't start.
Eyes freeze shut when you blink.

You can cut your breath and use it to build an igloo.
Arkansans stick tongue on metal objects.
Miami residents cease to exist.

Cat insists on sleeping in pajamas with you.
Politicians actually do something about the homeless.
Minnesotans shovel snow off roof.
Japanese cars don't start.

Too cold to think.
You need jumper cables to get the driver going.

You plan a two week hot bath.
Swedish cars don't start.

Californians disappear.
Minnesotans button top button.
Canadians put on sweaters.
Your cat helps you plan your trip South.

Congressional hot air freezes.
Alaskans close the bathroom window.

Hell freezes over.
Polar bears move South.
Viking Fans order hot cocoa at the game.

Lawyers put their hands in their own pockets.

Blue:

I REALLY liked that last one!!!lol

As Janny would say: <snort>!

originally posted by Shirley Richards

Here's what has been going the rounds in our state.

Iowa POEM

It's winter in Iowa and the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love Iowa
when the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Iowa
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!!

originally posted by Tygrr

What's sad is that all the snow we were supposed to get in Minnesota landed in Iowa and Wisconsin instead!!!

originally posted by Shirley Richards

You're certainly welcome to my share. Just bring your truck and a shovel. *G* I'm going broke hiring it done.