Humurous moment...

originally posted by Peter McDonald

Hey Janny,
I thought you might appreciate how one of your sentences tickled my funny bone.
I got given SF, and promptly fell ill and ran prob the highest temperature I'd ever run. I went a little delirious, but decided that I had to plow through the book regardless!
Being a little english-deprived, I always go slowly and re-read some sentences a few times before they make sense.
With the temperature I was running, it was taking much longer, and I was struggling to get it to sink in.
However, I got to p21, and promptly read:

"<name> grappled to make sense of the crone's oblique phrases"

and promptly fell about laughing about how true it was!!!

No offense meant at all, but I'm sure you'll appreciate the humour…
cya
Poiter

originally posted by Lyssabits

There really seems like there should be a "humurous" joke about the funny bone in there, except I'm pretty sure it's the ulna (well, the ulnar nerve) and not the humerous. Damn anatomy for ruining the joke!

Book Tales from Beyond Delirium - I'm thrilled.

snort! :smiley:

Though, dear lord, unless you were indeed referring to the Sanpashir elder, this author's just a little bit too spry, quite, to be implicated as crone?

originally posted by Clansman

Crone does seem misplaced. However, the story is pretty funny.

My picture of a crone, or in this case, crones, is of the three witches in Macbeth, whose most famous lines came at Act 4, scene 1:

Double, double toil and trouble,
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Of course, the Sanpashir crone is a good crone, or she seems that way.

I have never thought of you, Janny, as being a crone, especially in the Macbeth sense. But sometimes, sometimes, when demonstrating your glee over the dire straits of your hapless readers (I swear that sometimes I can hear you cackling), who are desperately waiting for the next tantalizing teaser, you can be a little crone-like!:smiley:

originally posted by Laneth Shadow-Walker

If one were to look at the Crone energy from a pagan viewpoint, it would be a great Honour to be called such, no matter one's age. Much like being called a Sage or Elder - there is deep respect and reverence held for those deemed worthy of such a mantle.

For us readers, Janny, ye are the Crone who gifts us with tales by the fire. Though many readers are older than yourself, they still view ye in the Crone-Energy - the Elder who commands respect and awe above all others in the tribe.
We are your tribe, and ye paint our future with words and imagery far beyond our comprehension.

Besides, Shakespeare was under orders of King James I to write those Witches/Crones into the play. "Jim I" was anti-free-belief and the down-play of the Crone's power in this play by making them butt-kissers of Hecate and ugly old women just served the purpose of taking the respect of our Elders and placing it on the Law Givers, (ie: Jim I)

One could assume that Dame Dawr is the classic representation of a "Crone", but then I see Elaira as such as well, given the amazing Clarity and Groundedness and Reverence with which she treats Life and the world around her. She carries the Mother energy too, but the Crone is definately there, (ye can see it when she strips veteren soldiers down to whimpering little boys, without the mantle of Koriani to back her up!)

I think I've lost track.

Don't be offended to be called a Crone, least not from a pagan!

originally posted by Wendy Collett

Hey Peter, I've found that the more I re-read the series, the slower I get every time as I ponder the words, looking for clues I've previously missed!

I did think it hillarious though, as I read through the postings from this thread, that I got in some joke emails from other people, that were all about old age.

Is there a theme running here, or just a small trip sides to the TZ?

originally posted by Walt

I'm probably taking my life in my hands with this comment…

Perhaps we should ask Don's opinion as to Janny's Crone-y-ness?

[the boisterous writer ducks out before certain gryphons wake up]

Beyond the evident jab of mirth - it's not about the archtype of the old wise woman - she's a gift! But the chauvanistic attitude that makes her "witch" - when the kindly old man is more benevolently viewed, IN GENERAL, not by all segments of society or all peoples on earth. The sacred feminine has quite often been the butt of political power plays, across history…and vice versa, the male role, by certain unbalanced Matriarchies.

I have no problem with nature's process of aging - but of ACTING OUT the foolish, knee-jerk presumptions that "being" old means losing one's value, or the short sighted, too prevalent attitude/cum belief, of presuming said event will result in a dysfunction of any kind - them's fightin' words! :smiley:

It's been a right few weeks, and some distressed e mails, from folks who worried (given a greatly loved author's premature passing) that I might step out without finishing the BOOKS.

Over my dead carcass, as Kharadmon said…:smiley:

originally posted by Lyssabits

Heheh, this conversation makes me think of a commentary I watched for a Farscape episode… Ben Browder is talking about how great it was that he got to play an old man in this particular episode, because he found that he totally got away with being a dirty old man when he was wearing the makeup – stuff he said that no one would let him say as a younger guy was adorable coming from an old guy. :wink:

As for witches… I always said I was gonna be a crazy old cat lady who scared the neighbor kids when I grew up. For some of us, that's a coveted position. :wink: I had to go and ruin it by marrying a guy who's allergic to cats (but loves mine anyways). I'd still try to be a crazy old cat lady if it wouldn't kill him.

originally posted by Peter McDonald

Funny how a little amusing anecdote can lead to a many topic post!
Sorry, Janny, unfortunately in my minds eye (which was delirious, mind you) you were the Sanpashir elder crone in the oblique phrase comment…although, don't worry, it was only because of the irony that I viewed you that way. In my right mind, I don't - unless of course, we want to take Laneth's view. But then, we could, as Seinfeld used to say 'Not that there's anything wrong with that'.
cya
Poiter