Hardback!!!!!

New announcement - you've heard it here, first!!!

got back to word from my London editor - Initiate's Trial WILL HAVE A HARDBACK EDITION!!!

A great leap in the right direction.

Note: when the release is announced DO ORDER PROMPTLY. Britain tags its hardback release to the large format paperback run. So the first run is usually the ONLY hardback run…to avoid disappointment, be sure to get your dibs in early.

Thanks to all who helped to support this. I am still working on fixing the dropped step with Stormed Fortress…this one is not going as smoothly (yet!) I have not given up.

originally posted by Wayne

GREAT NEWS!!!

Will place my preorder for mine and for friend as soon as it posts!!!

Wayne

originally posted by Clansman

*Clansman does a happy highland dance*

VERY VERY VERY VERY HAPPY! Now the question is do I order from the UK or from Canada? I suspect us in the colonies might get the short end of the stick (not that THAT'S ever happened before) when it comes to hardbacks.

Damn. That overseas shipping is a killer.

(okay, time to stop dancing and go back to work…)

originally posted by Hunter

Hey Janny - great news! Will this include additional unique artwork?

Clansman - not all colonies are equal, I am fully expecting us worthy readers in NZ and Oz to also get the hard covers when they are released in the wee island off the French coast.

originally posted by Alistair Clark

Wonderful!

Does this by any chance mean you have finished the draft?

Or is that too much to hope for with it being Christmas soon as well??

originally posted by Konran

SWEET! I was really upset that Stormed Fortress doesn't match my pristine hardcover collection! xD (yes I am a little obsessive about my books, especially the good ones)

originally posted by Trys

YAY!!!

originally posted by Laneth Sffarlenn

That is totally awesome!

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

That's wonderful, Janny!

It's the numbers outside the UK that changed the equation, so I fully expect the book will be available in that format outside Britain.

I don't know how things work in Aussie and NZ - you people there will have to keep the weather eye out when the book first appears.

On completing the draft, I have two more chapter sets, probably, to go. I plotted them out, yesterday.

originally posted by Hellcat

Very, very pleased.

Hellcat

originally posted by plutoplex

Yay!!!

originally posted by Dan Henby

I think we, in OZ get the same format as the UK, and timing as well.
So looks like we've got a hardback! Yay, Janny, that's great news!

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

That's great news (and another reason to call my London connections…).

*Thinks positive thoughts about a US hardback.*

Mark Stephen Kominski - you have been tuned out - grin. The US release and the London release are the same book…when Initiate's Trial comes out, the release dates will be simultaneous, and the same editions.

So for this title your wish is already granted. :smiley:

originally posted by Mark Stephen Kominski

Now that's a Christmas present, indeed (and happy to be back; I remembered that the release would coincide, but didn't make the leap on having the same editions…)

Even if we do have to wait for it. Speaking of which, it's about time we renewed the ancient and venerable tradition of Snippet Caroling…

Deck the halls with boughs of iyats, fa la la la la, la la, la, la
In full voice like yowling ca-ats, fa la la la la, la la, la, la
Gay apparel we now will zip it, fa la la, la la la, la la la
And task the Talespinner for a snippet, fa la la la la, la la…, la…, LAAAAAAAA!

*Beats a hasty retreat, ducking under the barrage of empty inkwells, used printer cartidges and all manner of spent writing supplies…*

originally posted by Clansman

Oh, Mark. You have been gone too long, as that, ahem, verse, was a groaner even for you.

If I were Ursa Major from the Chrons I would come back with a suitable pun, but I am just not that witty (if the rest of you want to understand that, you have to become a denizen of www.sffchronicles.co.uk ).

Still, very cool, the coolest even, to have a hardback, back in North America.

originally posted by Kirsten Laurelle Wallace

I agree! I hadn't made the connection either and was imagining spending lots of money to get a copy from England. Yay! :smiley:

originally posted by Trys

One Book to rule them.
One Book to find them.
One Book to bring them all and in the Lightness bind them.
In the land of Wurts where the Unicorns dance.

originally posted by mkchiu

Hardback ISBN: 978-0007217823
Cost to US is about 40+/-1 USD.

26.98 GBP, releases 10/28.
38.40 CDN, hopefully releases 09/15 like trade paperback (in CDN market).