A
D
!
!
!
!
!
!
Well, hopefully I've put enough space for spoilers here, as I'd hate to spoil anyone's read of this book.

I loved the book, loved the insights, loved the cover artwork and loved the revealed portions of plot that then revealed more loose ends!!!

The things that struck me most were the moments of poignant sorrow that flowed through the whole of this book. From the moment in Sanpashir where Arithon and Sulfin Evend encounter each other, and you can see the relationship they might have had, but is never realised; on through the moments where the flower of s'Taleyn lineage is bound over to the service of the crown of Rathain - fully aware under the auspices of the seeress of the cost; onto the loosing of the Mistwraith's curse by the Athlien Paravians,and the ever present injury and death that follow Arithon's loved ones. Feylind and Teive's deaths I found the most sorrowful (and caused a slightly leaky tearduct), and yet were completely in character and demonstrated the most fulfilled lives of all of Arithon's associates in this particular book. Even the recall of Arithon's spirit towards the end was tinged with sadness - the awareness that he would never know he had a daughter, and the awareness that both Glendien and Elaira sacrificed enormously to recall him to his body, and that he would never know any more than the fact of Elaira's love.

Things I loved -

The living dragon and her bargain with Davien. Can't wait to see how that will unfold over the next books - emotion impacting on the emotionless!!!

Lysaer finally battling the curse - and aware that he can battle.

Sulfin Evend - although I agonised every time he almost got it wrong…

Sidir - such a great character, and so much depth.

The sadness of Fionn Areth's death which occurred while he was still undecided in his spirit - yet what a great reflection of how things really are. If we wait to ask for others opinions and never form our own, we risk travelling an unsure path forever.

The unfolding realtionships of the Fellowship of Seven.

Glendien - her growth and steadfastness masked under all that brashness.

And, at ths point, as I'm sure I'll have more to say on the topic - the amazement that I appear to be first to post and have completed my read!!!

Great book Janny. Can't wait for the next. Thanks!

originally posted by Leonie

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
A
H
E
A
D
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

And my prediction of Davien and a dragon was correct!!! (Although the context was completely wrong…)

originally posted by Kam

spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler

I was kinda um, not disappointed, but it really threw me off to find out Davien's discorporation had been an "accident." Although certainly makes sense as to why he'd be so upset by it.

And yes, completely stunned by the 3-part snipet of dragon razing Avenor to the ground. Considering the huge consequence of an action that was only described in a 3 paragraph summary. I couldn't help but recall what Sethvir said about Etarra in CotM…

I love the part where Lysaer finally seems to break through and realises the depth of the grave he's dug for himself. The burning candle is such a perfect metaphor for him. At this stage, I am immensely curious about his salvation and Arithon's role behind it.

I've always wondered why Arithon prior, despite being so compassionate, didn't seem to feel pity for Lysaer. But it does my heart good to see that I was wrong.

Dragon is awesome. But why would she strike such a bargain with Davien? I'm not really sure what she gets out of it; learning what it is to be /not dragon/ o.O

Spoiler, spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I feel obliged to stick in large quantities of spoiler warnings as a few people have peeked before reading the book and are now regretting it…

I thought the whole section about the F7 disagreement was interesting, and changed a few of my thoughts regarding some of the individual sorcerers, particularly Asandir and Kharadmon.

I was certainly a little startled to find out that their disagreement had stirred up Shehaine Althain - the whole discussion must have been amazingly significant, and more far reaching than the surface value of the words said, particulalry in regard to some of the other conversations that we have observed taking place in the tower - and I think particularly of Lysaer and his removal from the compact.

I am wondering if this is because of the drake binding on the F7 and the way their future actions might impact Athera. Will have to reread.

originally posted by Stephen John Yates

Lots,

and lots,

and lots,

and lots,

and even lots,

of spoilers, read further at your peril.

Here are some initial thoughts having just finished the book.

I really loved this book, unlike so many other other authors Janny manages to develop both the characters and the storyline further with every book.

I loved the big changes in the storyline although I think more could have been made of Arithons redemption from the curse. Lysaer finally realising the truth was quite a biggy and it'll be interesting to see if he has the courage not to pursue Arithon further. (a distinct possibillity as he burned Fionn Areth's body as the Shadow Master.)

Many of the events were fairly predictable such as Fionn Areths death and Davien awakening a dragon. (the publishers gave away that one.) However there are still a lot of questions to be answered and many loose ends to be tied up. I particularily liked the additional information on the Koriathain, especially regarding Morriels long term plans and the orders old enemies. (Can they really afford Arithon as a foe as well as the Biedar.)

The real question now is which way the story will go next. Will the next arc focus on the Koriani or continue the war between Arithon and Lysaer. Arithon still has to meet the Riathan paravian from Dakar's vision. It will be interesting to find out what could provoke that reaction now the curse is gone.

Leonie, I think that Fionn Areth might have finally understood the loyalty of Arithons faction following his talk with Carrick. The only thing i'm not sure about is where the betrayal talked about in the birth prophecy came about. Unless that refers to the actions undertaken by Elaira and Glendien. An extremely interesting twist to the storyline. Given how quickly Janny can cover the passage of ten years or more, the childs story may be central to the next arcs. Personnally I hope that Arithon finds out about the child as I don't agree with the fellowship keeping her secret.

Now all I need to do is re-read it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler and

then

a few more

Spoilers…

I do agree that Fionn Areth was beginning to understand, but I'm not so sure his intellectual understanding had gelled into an inner comprehension - if you get what I mean!

I also enjoyed the increasing revelation of the Koriani machinations, and loved the Biedar involvement. I look forward to seeing more about this.

I also noticed that Arithon still hasn't met the Riathan Paravian - will it be arc four or five?? My appetite is whetted!

originally posted by Stephen John Yates

Guess what?

spoilers ahead.

I understand what you mean, but having just re-read the relevant pages I think that he did fully understand Arithon's character or else he would never have stood in the breach with Cattrick.

The quote on page 467 says:
"I saw Arithon's face, after bearing your word that Feylind's brig was pinned down with all hands aboard.' The truth written there had surpassed all deceit: that Rathain's prince had no shield against honest tears for the unalloyed sorrow of casualties."

Those two lines seem to say that Fionn Areth had finally understood that Arithon truly cared for his people.

I still haven't worked out where the betrayal from the birth prophecy comes in though.

I also found the detailed description of Daviens trial interesting. Did the ward of Shehane Althain awaken because he vehemently disagreed with Sethvir or because he left without permission?

originally posted by Izzy

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

quote:

I also found the detailed description of Daviens trial interesting. Did the ward of Shehane Althain awaken because he vehemently disagreed with Sethvir or because he left without permission?

I read that as Sethvir screwed up. He set up a simple ward or something on the door to "prevent" (probably more just delay) Davien's leaving. However, because Sethvir was now the Warden, when Davien broke the ward, Shehane awoke because the "Warden" was "under attack" or some such thing.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I seem to recall some mention was made as to Sethvir being too new in his wardenship and not realising what was going to happen.

Regards,

CJ

PS As always, an awesome book Janny :smiley:

originally posted by Yvonne

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
As I read it, while Alithiel was active, Lysaer was able to admit that he had KNOWN that he was cursed "since the failed coronation at Etarra". The problem was that the Mistwraith was so much in control of him that he did not have any option but to do those things that it suggested to him. I now feel that Lysaer is just being used - in much the same way that Selidie is using Lirenda. Neither of them have a choice, even though they may be able to see the moral objections, the "good and evil" of the uses to which they are being put. This is a major tragedy and a continuing theme in the books. One day, I hope the users will get their "comeupance"!
Once again, Janny, thankyou, can't say it enough.

originally posted by Jo

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Loved the book

I think that what Elaira, Glendian etc's did is pretty cruel. How will she be kept a secret because now I'm guessing Arithon will not have to accept kingship. What will they say to him oh by the way Arithon some relative of yours popped through the worldsend gate and hey she is now queen.

originally posted by Jo

Just to note the relative bit will be hard to pull off as he was the last on his father's side.
Forgot to put that in on my previous post

originally posted by Joy

Lost for words. Superlatives are used too often as part of everyday language and so I find I genuinely can't find words that sound powerful enough to convey my depth of feeling, my emotional response to SF, my love of the language and of the story (which feels like anything but fiction), and my awe and admiration for the gifts of the author.

Janny, I'm speechless. And I thank you most sincerely for making me so :smiley:.

spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler
spoiler

I loved it! I will need to reread it again, more slowly, in a couple months, but I just couldn't hold back during the first read.

The King's Glade scene took me by surprise – it reminded me of the Super Bowl episode of Alias in 2002 where JJ Abrams completely destroyed the root conflict in his story and reinvented it. Removing the curse from Arithon when we still have two Arcs to go was ballsy and proves that we have no idea where we're being nose-led by Janny :smiley:

Feylind's final scene was point-perfect, and showed just how much Arithon and Feylind had grown through the Arc.

The reappearance of Cattrick was abrupt – not sure why Fionn Areth wouldn't have discovered him much earlier in his stay at Alestron. However, their scenes together were brilliant, as was their ending.

I still don't fully understand the Fellowship portions of the story – those usually don't come to me until after multiple rereads of the scenes.

I would have liked to read more about Lysaer in the conclusion – it seems like he was relegated to the triplets between chapters. On the other hand, I don't know how much more we could learn after his earlier talk with Sulfin Evend.

Overall, five thumbs up! I've posted a review on amazon.co.uk, and I hope everyone else does too – the more word of mouth we can get out the better!

originally posted by starstorm

Janny, not really anything to add to the wonderful things that have been said; Leonie detailed too many of my feelings perfectly already! But I just want to add my sincere thanks for delivering yet another book that was SO VERY MUCH worth waiting for! I actually finished reading it yesterday evening, but I'm finding myself going back and reading passages again just to wrap my brain around such a huge amount of wonderfulness in this package :smiley:

Oh, one comment on the comments above…

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

Stephen, you were wondering above about where the betrayal mentioned in Fionn's birth prophecy comes in. At first, I was thinking it referred to Parrien's actions (forced by Morriel, of course), but after thinking about it, I'm leaning more toward what Arithon would no-doubt see as the greatest betrayal of his person; the decision of the Fellowship and Biedar to keep the existence of his child from him.

~Anna

originally posted by Walt

Oh, sweet mistress of my library shelf. No words are able to encompass my thanks for such a superlative work. I had to laugh: I was reading so intently yesterday at lunch that I didn't pay attention to much else (like my phone ringing, etc). As my lunch hour came to an end, I looked down and discovered that some time during my reading, I had kicked off my shoes! Your prophecy came true! It really did blow my shoes off! hehehe

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Most Poignant moment: The destruction of the Evenstar and Arithon's depairate seach for Feylind. Here's this guy on the morning train sobbing his eyes out while reading.

Most Atavistic moment: Cirle of the Sunchildren. Unbelievably wonderful. By my count, Arithon's met and conversed with a Centaur and now a Sunchild. Next up: Unicorns!

Most Foreshadowed: When one of the Fof7 comments that the Koriani meddling has awakened the sleeping might of the Beidar. I had goose bumps for hours.

Most righteous-high-five-outta-da-park moment: Arithon and Elairia -ehem- Grokking more fully… ;^) It's about time!!!

Most courageous: Elairia finding the mettle and strength to find a trap-free way to bring Arithon back and at the same time ensure that the s'Brydion line will continue in Glendien's child.

Most feel-good: Dakar willfully taking up his apprentiship duties from Asander.

originally posted by Trys

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Walt,

You meant 'ensure that the s'Ffallen line will continue…', yes?

Trys

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

D'oh! Yes… my mind is off on a vacation I guess… I don't know HOW I typed in s'Brydion and not s'Ffallen! Yoiks! There goes my credibility!

originally posted by Hunter

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!
Read beyond at ye peril…

You might have been forgiven for typing s'Talyen as that is who Glendien married… but s'Brydion? Eek…

On the other hand, Erlien seems to have mistresses running out of his ears and, for equality's sake, no reason why Glendien couldn't have a clutch of partners as well. Free will seems to be key point here. Makes the clan enclave sound like a bunch of 60s hippy, free-love in a commune… :smiley::smiley: Or is a Erlien a Mormon?

Take for a moment the chance to reflect on this - Dakar *willingly* resumed his lapsed study under Asandir. For someone who spent four books trying to avoid Asandir, the lessons doled out to Dakar in Arithon's company have perhaps been more far reaching than anything Asandir could have done. I do recall a comment that teaching bedrock would be easier than Dakar the scatterbrain.

Poor old Arithon, for his troubles he got assigned Dakar as his protector. Dakar couldn't control him. Then Davien assumed the role of Arithon's protector - a seemingly more dubious option than the first! Davien would similarly seem unable to control Arithon.

Exactly what Davien plans to do with his 'tame' dragon is a good question after they knit the grimwards back together. I would have thought excising them all from the face of Athera might be a good idea.

Have we seen the last of Davien's eagle now he's enfleshed?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
!
Well, unless you are an apostate and live in the wilds of Southern Utah or Northern Arizona, we Mormons (LDS) haven't had plural wives in close to a hundred years. On the other hand, some of those splinter groups that make the news sound every bit as rowdy as Erlien's encampments!

As for forgiveness, I blame my sleeplessness on our resident siren of prose! She is just sooooo gosh darn good, who would willingly want to put down the blessed book! I was fast caught as an unshielded initiate to Ath's mysteries beholding the grand Chord of Creation…

This morning's brain-mush however is due to my dropped guild duties in WoW and my 1:30 am dungeon raid. *sigh* When will I learn that I'm not 25 any more???

Have we seen the last of Davien's eagle? I would venture to guess no. The dragon will eventually go away and his eagle form seems a vast improvement over lane transfer for getting around.

In all of this, no one has mentioned the potential saving grace the dragon poses for Traithe! If she can fully enflesh Davien for a foolish mistake, why not restore Thraithe for his courageous act in closing the South Gate? (South gate, right?)

originally posted by Trys

Walt,

quote:

When will I learn that I'm not 25 any more???

When you start saying 'When will I learn that I'm not 35 any more?'

As to the eagle… if Davien is fully re-enfleshed and no longer has direct access to the dragon's magic, he may not be able to change forms.

As to Traithe, in order for the dragon to reontergrate Traithe she would first have to retrieve his missing parts which are currently mewed up with Desh-thiere in Rockfell Pit. The Paravians left rather than deal with the wraiths… what would a dragon's decision be?

Trys