Exile's Return

originally posted by Clansman

This particular piece of art keeps popping up in various threads. It is easily the most tantalizing teaser that Janny has given us in all my years as a lurker and then as a member of this website.

Therefore, I have some ideas/questions/speculations about Exile's Return to throw out, and I am sure that others (for some reason Hunter is coming to mind) will do their fair share.

1. What are the chances of this being a book cover in Arc IV or V? I am thinking not high, except in a modified form, given the new book cover formats produced in the UK. Perhaps on an American version?

2. Is it possible to buy a print of this beautiful painting? It isn't in the art section of the website, just on the cover page.

3. Is this the moment that the Black Rose Prophecy is fulfilled? Or will Arithon embrace kingship before this?

That's just for starters. I am sure the rest of you will feed my speculative nature in due course.

And the sound of the crickets was deafening…

originally posted by Sundancer

Clansman,

I think there was a discussion about Exile's Return just recently on another thread - maybe they are all speculated out. Can anyone point us to the right thread?

I agree, lots of room for speculation - just in the title itself. Does anyone see Arithon as an exile at the moment (self-exiled, perhaps)? So what might happen for him to be exiled?

For that matter, what do people think high kingship would give Arithon - trying not to spoil but it must be more than just marriage to the other elements - or does marriage to the other elements give him something special beyond the amazing gifts he already has?

originally posted by motley

The S'Ffalenn & S'Ilessid scions were exiled from Athera after the Uprisings to Dascun Elur (sp?) 500 or so years ago - therefore exile returned - the S'Ffalenn & S'Ilessid scions in Arithon & Lysaer. That's what I've always thought… maybe more…

Sundancer: I think there's a clue in what he would 'get', in what happened in Halwythwood after Kewar.

originally posted by Meredith Lee Gray

They weren't really exiled there though. "Exile" carries the connotation of a banishment as a form of punishment. All the royal heirs were sent through the gate for safety reasons. Not because they did anything wrong.

Although the word does not strictly have to refer to a form of punishment, it's generally used in that way, and Janny is always precise with her word choice.

originally posted by Trys

I agree that Janny is always precise in her word meanings but in the case of 'exile' which meaning?

From dictionary.com:

exile
1. expulsion from one's native land by authoritative decree.
2. the fact or state of such expulsion: to live in exile.
3. a person banished from his or her native land.
4. prolonged separation from one's country or home, as by force of circumstances: wartime exile.
5. anyone separated from his or her country or home voluntarily or by force of circumstances.
6. the Exile, the Babylonian captivity of the Jews, 597-538 b.c.
– verb (used with object)
7. to expel or banish (a person) from his or her country; expatriate.
8. to separate from country, home, etc.: Disagreements exiled him from his family.
[Origin: 1250-1300; ME exil banishment < L ex(s)ilium, equiv. to exsul banished person + -ium -ium]

Trys

originally posted by Auna

I don't really see Arithon as an exile, he has plenty of people who support and accept him. His aversion to kingship is his own doing. I see him as in fairly good control over his destiny at this point.

I think Davien and Lysaer are more like exiles than anyone else. It would make sense to me if the story is about how these two get back into the fold so to speak. Lirenda could also fall into this category, as well as Selidie. Hard to say about Ciladis since we don't know enough about his situation.

originally posted by HJ

I think the picture shows Arithon returning to Rathain, hence "Exile's Return". He is all decked out in formal gear in Rathain's colours; black, green, silver, leopard-skin. This has to be deliberate, a statement. The landscape brings to mind Daon Ramon, possibly even Ithamon. The whole scene makes me think it's a deliberate, clear scenario of Arithon's return to his Kingdom, maybe even the occasion of his acceptance of Kingship. Or perhaps it's my wishful thinking.

Janny named it, and the only guy in the picture is Arithon, so I guess he must be an exile. I agree with HJ, as it appears that Arithon has embraced kingship with the clothes he is wearing. Also, it does appear to be Ithamon. Is that not where the kings of Rathain were crowned before the uprising? Perhaps Exile's Return is Arithon going to his crowning ceremony.

I would love to see this painting on the cover of the last book in the series (obviously, would have to be a US cover, given the UK packaging of the series now). Maybe "Exile's Return" could be the title of the book??

originally posted by Zorana Lewis

Well I was having a look through the cover art of various editions, and this particular piece IS already on one of the covers. It's on one of the foreign editions of 'Grand Conspiracy'.

I noticed that the other day, but didn't post. It would be apt to have that painting on the cover of the book where Arithon is actually crowned, or embracing kingship.

It is all tied up in the Black Rose Prophecy.

I'd still love to get a print of that painting. The U.S. cover of Curse of the Mistwraith (sans title and publisher's marks) would also be a neat print to have. Heck, all of the covers (painted by Janny) would be neat prints to have, but I might get accused of creating a shrine!

originally posted by Wayne

Clansman,

Curse of the Mistwraith and Ships of Merior(US hardcover version) are available as prints.

Along with Wizard of the Owls.

Already been accused of having a shrine. :smiley:

originally posted by Brittani

You know I was just thinking about it and doesn't that painting depict the same clothes that Arithon is descibed wearing when he goes ashore to save Fionn Areth. Or maybe Im way off. But I thought Dakar was looking at him like he was crazy when he did that? Hmmm Okay now I gotta go reread everything again.

Either way it would be a really cool print to have and I don't mind accusations of shrine building.

originally posted by Lisa

I'm pretty sure he's wearing them somewhere in Stormed Fortress too. Not sure where though i think its one of the times he is at Alestron.

originally posted by Meredith Lee Gray

I had posted the same thought… well, somewhere, sometime in the past. As far as him wearing the same clothes at that time. The style is one he prefers, when he's in formal attire, and the color choice is obvious of course. But I remember re-reading that scene, and then comparing it piece-by-piece to the painting, and thinking it really matched.

Prints are available of anything - up to 24 inches wide. (They could be original size, to the painting, or smaller)

You'd need to e mail me whether you wanted poster, fine art quality, or canvas, and what size, and where I'd need to ship it to (to determine the rate to get it there) I'd send back a price. Then we'd take it from there.

originally posted by Brittani

Could it not be possible that this scene has already been played out. Couldn't Exile's Return simply be Arithon returning to Rathain after having been at sea looking for the Paravians for like 14 years plus all of the rest of the time he was in hiding before actually leaving for his quest.

I'm not so sure that we haven't already seen this.

As the artist in question, which medium would you recommend, FAQ or canvas? I am assuming that posters are the cheapest.

Posters are the cheapest. Art paper comes signed. Canvas is more expensive, and has to be stretched on a frame, (which we have to order) and it also makes for a heftier molding at the framer's to finish it for your walls, afterward. (we do not do the framing) You would mat the paper ones under glass.

originally posted by Hunter

Three books to go… are we likely to see the image of Exile's Return in Initiate's Trial?